Help I'm Stuck - Era accuracy and Not correct

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
valheru

Help I'm Stuck - Era accuracy and Not correct

Post by valheru »

Apparently, this system wasn't put into place until August of 2000.

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=615

If the removal of the system does not put a huge burden on Derrick and the staff, i propose that it should be removed.

If you get stuck on an island or in a dungeon, it's not too hard to find a friend/some random person in IRC to gate you out. I feel that the current system is abused in a carebear type of way.

If the system is allowed to remain, please add in the stuck feature for reds. They are supposed to be teleported to the chaos shrine. Currently, reds cannot use the system.

Thanks.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Help I'm Stuck - Era accuracy and Not correct

Post by Mirage »

If someone legitamently gets stuck though and staff isn't on, that would mean that their character would be stuck until staff were on. Maybe that's the reason that they have this in possibly.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

valheru

Post by valheru »

The question is: How often do people get stuck? I've been playing here for well over a year, active most of the time, and i've never gotten stuck.

either way, the murderer option for the help menu should be added.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

A lot of people who don't have the right client, and don't know about resynching client. Espically newbies and newcomers to the shard.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

valheru

Post by valheru »

Mirage wrote:A lot of people who don't have the right client, and don't know about resynching client. Espically newbies and newcomers to the shard.
If they don't have a resync macro in place, i'm sure they will attempt to log out then back in to correct the issue.

I just feel that the current non accurate system, a system of free transportation, is abused, a LOT.

Once again, either way, the murderer option should be added.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I get stuck on an island quite a bit . Either a pk is camping or a mare or random monster gets me while i'm afk.

If they remove this due to era accuracy then they would need to hire a full time staff to answer calls. OSI had a full office of GMs and still had to initiate counselors to keep up. If they can't get enough of those then they aren't era accurate anyway and should leave it alone.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

valheru

Post by valheru »

Robot wrote:I get stuck on an island quite a bit . Either a pk is camping or a mare or random monster gets me while i'm afk.

If they remove this due to era accuracy then they would need to hire a full time staff to answer calls. OSI had a full office of GMs and still had to initiate counselors to keep up. If they can't get enough of those then they aren't era accurate anyway and should leave it alone.
I do not believe "help i'm stuck" was intended to help people stuck on islands/the depths of dungeons. I believe it was to help players who were stuck in the ground due to bugs/glitches.

I dont expect this thread to get much support, nobody wants era accuracy when it bothers their style of gameplay.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

This isn't a style of game play. This is not about accuracy. This is about technical issues with people being stuck and not enough man power to get them to safety. It was put in the game because most of the GM/counselor calls were stuck issues and they were about to get rid of counselors at the time.

If you can't get anywhere from where you are (such as an island with no exit) then you are legitimately stuck.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

valheru wrote: I dont expect this thread to get much support, nobody wants era accuracy when it bothers their style of gameplay.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Robot wrote:If you can't get anywhere from where you are (such as an island with no exit) then you are legitimately stuck.
No, you are legitimately stuck in any graphics/terrain errors.

If you're stuck on an island due to careless game play or from being unprepared, that's not "being stuck".

And with the 3 accounts there's really no reason that anyone should be stuck on an island, when youve got 10 other character slots to get your "stuck" character out.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

If I get killed deep in a dungeon or somewhere where I'm just too lazy to actually run back to civilization you're damn right I'm using the "I'm stuck button".
It is a gameplay thing.
How many people are legitametly stuck, where a GM would actually move them in the first place? I mean you're on a shard where most people are vets for cripes sakes.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

And there you are making an assumption. Let's just put a sign saying "new players not welcome, enjoy your island".

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Staff will not move players off islands, or otherwise give them a free ride to town. but people really do get stuck in the map, especially those using post-6.x clients because of map differences.

I don't like having the menu either, and have tried to brainstorm some reasonable way to automate an unstuck without using the out of era menu.

In the meantime, I am in agreement that the menu should function the way it did on OSI if we're going to have it. I was unaware it would transport reds to the Chaos shrine.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

What I'm saying is that there is probably such a minute amount of legit "I'm stuck" NEEDS, that GMs could probably handle them easy peasy and it wouldn't bog the que.

If you really want to change this into a "invite new player" topic, simply implement the young status system (since this is era accurate) and the only time this button should be activated is when a player is still in their "young" status.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think that the delay on "IM STUCK" should be set much longer, like a half hour to an hour. That simulates the "wait" for t2a accurate GM's as well as reduces the mis-use of this feature. If someone was legitimately stuck in a glitchy tile, and logging/resyncing wont work, this hour-wait option will help them out as a last resort when GM's are not online. Let's face it, they have 14 other characters they could be playing in the mean-time.

I do believe that the use of "IM STUCK" inside houses (teleporting you to the sign) should be completely removed. People (myself included) abuse this all the time, and it was certainly not possible in t2a.