Tinkering the way it used to be....

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
sirrayiv

Tinkering the way it used to be....

Post by sirrayiv »

Today I noticed that trapped chests give murder counts to the tinker trapped them. This is not how it used to be back in 1999.

http://www.uoguide.com/Publishes

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tinkering the way it used to be....

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

they won't give you a count if you trap them on the floor of your house and then carry them to wherever you want to drop them.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

If you trap the item while in your pack you will get a count.
As said, if you trap it while it is on the floor you will not. It was discussed and considered accurate, and I used to have guildies with red tinkers.

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

It isn't accurate, because I used to have a GM tinker back in the day, and I NEVER got murder counts EVER.....This was implemented later to discourage tinkers from griefing.....and it worked!!!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

According to this line item from the 3/9/2000 patch notes, previous to this date, players did indeed receive murder counts for creating trapped chests:
3/9/2000 wrote: Tinker Traps
  • Tinker traps will be modified. Their purpose will be to protect containers and their creation will no longer give the maker a murder count.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Kaivan wrote:According to this line item from the 3/9/2000 patch notes, previous to this date, players did indeed receive murder counts for creating trapped chests:
3/9/2000 wrote: Tinker Traps
  • Tinker traps will be modified. Their purpose will be to protect containers and their creation will no longer give the maker a murder count.
I don't give a damn what that says...I spent a majority of my time hiding inside dungeons trapping chests so that players would blow themselves up while looting them. I NEVER received murder counts for doing this, which is why I did it in the first place!!!
Besides, it was LOADS of fun, and should be implemented again. It puts people in the dungeons....and keeps players on their toes.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I don't give a damn what that says...
But you should give a damn!

It should encourage you to go look for other sources, besides your own game memories, that proove that you could tinker trap chests without receiving a count.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Faust

Post by Faust »

Back up your claims with information not memories.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There is a specific patch note from within era that states you'll not receive a murder count for trapping a box if it is done on the floor of your house. This was the only exception that i am aware of in era. There is discussion in other threads about the renowned tinker murderers on the bounty boards in era.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Lets not forget that many of the changes made during patches were not written down in the patch notes, and players were left to figure these changes out on their own. Finding a forums board about UO for the 1999 time period would be much more informative of what the rules in-game were, as opposed to looking at the so-called Patch notes.

Having said that, there are certain things that I know for a fact, because I was around back in the early days. Tinkers did not receive murder counts for anything back then. OSI decided to implement the whole (murder count rule) to prevent players like myself from trapping dungeon chests. In order to prevent from completely nerfing tinkers when it pertained to traps, they did mention something about trapping chests inside your home would prevent murder counts...but basically what this did, was prevent tinkers from trapping unmovable chests inside dungeons and towns.

I do believe this was right around the time that OSI implemented the whole detect hidden, remove trap crap....

Again, I don't need patch notes to tell me what the policy was back then, because I lived it! Its just sad that OSI did such a piss poor job of documenting their own changes.

I remember sitting in Deceit standing right next to a chest while hidden. A player walked in, tried to open the chest I had trapped....it blew him up and he died....another player having watched this all happen from the corner of the room then preceded to try and loot the chest because he assumed that it was trap free now....however, I had conveniently re-trapped it....BOOM....got his ass too!!!

I had a blast back then doing this, and NEVER received murder counts from it.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Finding a forums board about UO for the 1999 time period would be much more informative of what the rules in-game were, as opposed to looking at the so-called Patch notes.
Here you go sirrayiv, happy reading.

1998:
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... nt+%2B1998

1999:
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... nt+%2B1999
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... nt+%2B1999
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... nt+%2B1999
Quote from october 1999 usegroup archive:
BTW, there is a risk of getting a murder count from this. The box has to
be trapped on the floor of a house that the tinker char owns. Being
friended to a house and trapping there is not good enough.

If a blue opens a trapped box that was not set in the right place, then
your tinker may be given a murder count (at the blue's discretion).
Snoopers are often theives, so if they are perma grey your tinker will
not get a count. If you are PK'd and the killer is grey or red, your
tinker will not get a count.

If you are monster-killed in a dungeon and a hunting partner grabs your
stuff, make sure he doesn't open it or you'll both be ghosts. All my
guildmates know not to open any boxes in my pack.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

I also clearly remember being able to look inside a trapped box that I was carrying anytime I wanted to. I would get a message about disabling the trap, and re-enabling it once I closed the box that I had peeked into.

My reg box on me, was always trapped back then, and I never had to worry about blowing myself up.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Using the key on the box disables the trap, as in era.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."