Yew orc fort: a count-free warzone

Topics related to Second Age
Velgamog

Re: Yew orc fort: a count-free warzone

Post by Velgamog »

son wrote:
I care about the shard, and the rules everyone follows.

The rules are not written in stone, as you know from similar allowances in the past. And judging from this thread and the newly created poll, there is a clear majority of players in favor of this. How is giving players what they want harmful to the shard ? More enjoyment = more activity = positive for this shard.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Tom wrote:
We need a count free warzone asap, I don't wanna lose any of my illiterate orkoid axe swingin' friends that are fun to play with.
How quickly it's devolved to "needing" this or else people are going to start leaving.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

I'm sure this could be considered a possibility in the future. But it's going to take some time and a continual stream of support. Establishing yourselves with population and strict roleplaying philosophy along with some tenure on the shard migt yield favorable results.

The Orc are a vibrant and resilient race. Burning counts should be a test of y'all's fortitude and will to thrive in this harsh human world. I would think you guys would have at least three Orc toons each. One for guarding the fort. One for going on hunting expeditions with your fellow marauders, and another "witch doctor" to stay back at the fort to res and heal your fallen. When you go red on your guards, just play your hunters and stack dem shinees for yur clan.

I support this change in environment mechanics... But only after you've had a more sustained presence on the shard.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Velgamog

Post by Velgamog »

I understand the reluctance of UOSA players and developers in changing game mechanics to accommodate a guild that is new to this server. But while we may be new to UOSA, shadowclan has been around for many years, and has earned a reputation over that time as being an honorable, well structured guild that not only remains in-character 100% of the time, but strictly enforces this rule. Again, I must direct attention to these...

- Shadowclan on uo.com: http://www.uo.com/Shadowclan
- DAoC’s description of the kobol race specifically mentions Shadowclan when we were kobolds on Mordred (we were also on Guinevere): http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Kobold
- Blizzard interview: http://wow.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=21679
- Raph Koster: http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/12/18/ho ... morabilia/

Surely this is enough to prove that we are something more than an upstart band of orc RPers who may be here today and gone tomorrow. With or without this declaration, shadowclan will remain a part of UOSA for some time... but our level of activity is in the hands of the developers. If we were no longer penalized for defending our fort, there would be a great many more orcs there.

The odds are already heavily against us... having our toughest members out for several days burning off counts leaves us even less able to defend our fort. More orcs present means bigger and better battles taking place, which could be happening right now. Forgive me for sounding impatient, but I really hope this declaration doesn't take years to achieve.

inego
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inego »

I like this idea.
Great Lakes 1998-2001

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it is true that in the past we have provided the Bloodrock Clan the ability to protect a specific location on the map with impunity, this privilege was not afforded simply because they were an RP guild.

In order for the Bloodrock Clan to gain their special properties, not only did they have to establish a presence on the server and show their value to the community by holding events (ones that can be looked back on via the forums), they had to go a significant distance further than that by offering their assistance in seer run quests to further establish their role as a special type of addition to the community.

It is also important to mention that the fort itself was not modified to allow the Bloodrock orcs to defend it simply because they maintained a certain play style that could benefit from it. It was modified to promote successful RP events that were otherwise problematic. The argument that we should change the Yew orc fort, simply because your normal RP behavior is made more troublesome by the normal mechanics, is not sufficient reason to make the change. Finally, there is a consideration of time. While it is true that the Shadowclan orcs have been around since the earliest days of UO, this does not automatically mean that the clan has done their time on UOSA and should be automatically compensated. The Bloodrock orcs, who are nearly as old as the Shadowclan orcs, spent the better part 8 months establishing themselves and dealing with the proper mechanics on UOSA before gaining any recognition with a fort or other decorations. Shadowclan is hardly more than 1 month old.

So no, despite the amount of support for a guild to receive such a privilege, we will not be modifying the mechanics at the Yew orc fort to allow the orcs to defend it without retribution at this time.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Kaivan wrote:...at this time.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Wydstrin

Post by Wydstrin »

RaveGreen wrote: Image

Pac

Post by Pac »

RaveGreen wrote:
Kaivan wrote:...at this time.
Great, now they'll beg for this every week and just keep saying "urrr well they didn't say never urrr"

Velgamog

Post by Velgamog »

I understand the devs response and will quit pushing for this subject. We'll try to plan more events and play a more active role on this server, and hopefully in time we can earn the right to defend our fort.

If any guilds would like to participate in the battles taking place here, send us a war invite and we will gladly accept. this is one way our guilds can avoid receiving counts.

Cullinarn

Post by Cullinarn »

Pirul wrote:There's something that has been pointed out which really leaves me with some doubts. What's the Shadowclans interactions with humans supposed to be? KoS?

I remember the Bloodrock would first ask for tribute, if tribute was given, then they'd be somewhat friendly in a wild animal kinda way.
I can verify this part (the initial interaction part). Don't know about the collaboration part, as I usually hightail it out after I present trybut so they don't klomp me. Some of the in-character parting shots (both animalistically friendly and expressing a desire for "mur trybut") are interesting. :P
More than once, we raided the bloodrock's fort and completely took it over...and other times, we'd give the orcs tribute to hace them come to us with Destard to be like a swarm in case reds came rolling in. So even though we fought more often than not, there were also instances of collaboration. What's the Shadowclan's stance on this?
Cullinarn
Founder
The House of Oor'tael

Ron_Swanson

Post by Ron_Swanson »

I'd vote no. Let them suffer like everyone else who has to work off counts. I haven't seen any orcs, and so it is difficult to say they have added anything to the server. Have there even been any Orc events? Urk used to have impromptu events all the time when they were active. They took kills like era accurate players would, outside their fort and they did so all the time. Not once have I seen an Orc, or any kind of Orc event. Before they are able to have trammel style protection in their fort, they really need to step up their game.
Your Neighborhood Bro

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

After coming here and having a lot of fun, I absolutely support the no count zone.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Stephen83084

Post by Stephen83084 »

Ron_Swanson wrote:I'd vote no. Let them suffer like everyone else who has to work off counts. I haven't seen any orcs, and so it is difficult to say they have added anything to the server. Have there even been any Orc events? Urk used to have impromptu events all the time when they were active. They took kills like era accurate players would, outside their fort and they did so all the time. Not once have I seen an Orc, or any kind of Orc event. Before they are able to have trammel style protection in their fort, they really need to step up their game.
I would enjoy a war zone around the orc fort. It isn’t like there is a lot of traffic there any ways. It’s not like they are pking people at active spawns. The only reason there is traffic there is because of role players for the most part. The orc fort doesn’t belong to any one on the server it’s so happen orcs role play around there and claim it for their self. You could kill the orcs and kick them out of the fort if you decide and you yourself can defend the fort from other players and role players.

It is kind of hard to role play when the environment prohibits you to do so. You may not have seen any orcs because they may be burning off counts. You say they want trammel protection one they are on foot two trammel is a place where you can fight/war who you want It’s almost saying they want to play in trammel and role play with other role player guilds only but wait there isn’t any other role players guilds. It’s kind of hard to have events where there are no other role player guilds out there at least that I know of.

If the GMs would let that area to be a war zone it may very well help start other role player guilds like the YEW, Undead, Savages, Vampire guilds and so on. This is an opportunity for server growth. And the other thing will change is a little area.

And let’s say this group of people leave this type of area will help other role playing happen. This shouldn’t be able helping the Urks It should be about helping the Role playing community and helping the None Role players and Role player get connected and having some fun. Look at the bigger picture just not one guild.

Playing UO appears that normally role playing starts when there is a role playing orc guild. Orcs are at the center of role playing on UO my opinion. Maybe role playing isn’t your thing it’s not mine. It would be nice to see that the GMs would make it easier to play a different type of playing style on the server that way people can have more options of things to do on the server and have more fun that way they don’t be board and quit. Try to have some grace and see where thing will go with the orcs and help them build up a new community of role players.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just so everyone's aware, we won't be turning any area into a free war zone for everyone.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org