Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
kaldori

Re: Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

Post by kaldori »

I've been ghosted many times in despise when I was a noob in 1998

I don't see how this is any different now.

That's what spririt speak is for.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

kaldori wrote:I've been ghosted many times in despise when I was a noob in 1998

Ghosting in 98? Spirit speak?

whaaat?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Hemperor wrote:
kaldori wrote:I've been ghosted many times in despise when I was a noob in 1998

Ghosting in 98? Spirit speak?

whaaat?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

Haha Duke.

That's an awesome game.

Oh, and I still think ghosting is lame.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

If this weren't the super-accurate shard that it is (and I'm not complaining about that), I'd suggest afterlife guardians as a fix of sorts. I don't really believe that ghost-camping is a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to add a little flavor or risk to it, either. Like, soul-herding angels who round up lost ghosts and transport them to town/ evil creatures who could deal damage to ghosts and rend their essences, making them completely unplayable for x-amount of time/et cetera, et cetera.
Obviously this isn't an option.... but I figured I'd share the thought anyway. :)

valheru

Post by valheru »

Why is this thread in the suggestions forum?

This is accurate. The poster is just whining. Move it to trash talk.

waaah

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

valheru wrote:Why is this thread in the suggestions forum?

waaah
What is the first word of this forum's title?

We get the point, you utilize this as much as possible and you don't want it changed.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

poogoblin wrote:

waaah

We get the point, you utilize this as much as possible and you don't want it changed.
Ignore him, majority of this guy's posts are complete wastes and derailing, at this rate another week max before he's forum banned.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

EVeee wrote:If this weren't the super-accurate shard that it is (and I'm not complaining about that), I'd suggest afterlife guardians as a fix of sorts. I don't really believe that ghost-camping is a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to add a little flavor or risk to it, either. Like, soul-herding angels who round up lost ghosts and transport them to town/ evil creatures who could deal damage to ghosts and rend their essences, making them completely unplayable for x-amount of time/et cetera, et cetera.
Obviously this isn't an option.... but I figured I'd share the thought anyway. :)
That would be sweet...or force them to the closest shrine and force res them after some time if they were in dungeons.That would make red ghosts scramble for the exit.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

valheru

Post by valheru »

Hemperor wrote:
poogoblin wrote:

waaah

Ignore him, majority of this guy's posts are complete wastes and derailing, at this rate another week max before he's forum banned.

Are you trying to say that "multi clienting" is NOT era accurate? Hemperor, tell me that is so.

I am stating,that being able to log into multiple clients IS era accurate, and BTW, it's vital to this shard.

How is it VITAL TO THIS SHARD???

People join new servers based upon how many players are currently playing, NOBODY WANTS TO JOIN A SERVER that only has 5 guys playing.

The average person has 2 clients per IP address. This inflates the "CLIENTS ONLINE NOW" number, which attracts players.

However, during the "T2A era" it was definitely possible to multiclient. My original statement was that, why is this even in the era accuracy forum, PEOPLE KNOW, FOR A FACT, THAT MULTI-CLIENTING IS ERA ACCURATE.

THIS IS ERA ACCURATE, IT'S NOT UP FOR DEBATE, HENCE, MOVE IT OUT OF THIS FORM.

Don't listen to the cancer "hemperor". He's only here to feed you disinformation, which IMHO, is a 100% bannable offense.

It's only a matter of seconds before hemperor is banned, he has been perma banned by derrcik before, well, before, stood up before the the shard donat.......

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

valheru wrote:
I am stating,that being able to log into multiple clients IS era accurate, and BTW, it's vital to this shard.

People join new servers based upon how many players are currently playing, NOBODY WANTS TO JOIN A SERVER that only has 5 guys playing.

I'd be inclined to disagree with you. What do you define as "playing?" I don't really consider having a client running while your toon macros anatomy afk as "playing" I think we should focus on player Quality instead of player Quantity. What's the point of having more "players" online if most of them are less responsive than the NPCs are?

The average person has 2 clients per IP address. This inflates the "CLIENTS ONLINE NOW" number, which attracts players.

Once again, that just seems like an artificial and superficial way of attracting players. It has very little if any bearing on the "playing" community. If anything, some new payers would feel a bit deceived to know that a large percentage of characters in the world just sat there unresponsive.

However, during the "T2A era" it was definitely possible to multiclient. My original statement was that, why is this even in the era accuracy forum, PEOPLE KNOW, FOR A FACT, THAT MULTI-CLIENTING IS ERA ACCURATE.

Was that also due to third party programs? I dont think UOSA should consider programs outside the ORIGIN game program as part of the "Era mechanic." And because something was "possible" doesn't mean it was the standard. In order to multiclient, you need multiple accounts. The standard player back then would only shell out enough cash for the one account. The topic title says it all. Ghosting is a result of exploiting and abusing the allowance of multiple accounts. And although it might have been "possible" 10 years ago, not everyone had 2-3 accounts back then (certainly not to the population we have on this shard.)
I would like to respectfully and humbly propose that third party programs, while existent during this time, should not fall under the responsibility of UOSA's t2A "Era Accuracy" in regard to gameplay mechanics, and in some specific cases, be considered not true to era accuracy.

When it comes down to it, Razor (being our ONLY allowed third party program, aside from UO Auotomap) should be treated as a "necessary evil" until a better connection agent can be found and implemented.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

It's not multiclienting that is the issue.

It's how one is using the alts.

Seriously, get your issues straight.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Kraarug wrote:It's not multiclienting that is the issue.

Very sorry. I just feel that how the alts are used is simply a result of a long chain of abuse. Ghosting is the abuse of multiple accounts, multiclienting is the result of abusing multiple accounts.

I can come up with a laundry list of reasons why Multiple accounts are detrimental when it comes to playing a game based on community interaction. Ghosting is one of these reasons.

Trying my best to stay on topic, here. :)

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Duke Jones wrote:
Kraarug wrote:It's not multiclienting that is the issue.

Very sorry. I just feel that how the alts are used is simply a result of a long chain of abuse. Ghosting is the abuse of multiple accounts, multiclienting is the result of abusing multiple accounts.

I can come up with a laundry list of reasons why Multiple accounts are detrimental when it comes to playing a game based on community interaction. Ghosting is one of these reasons.

Trying my best to stay on topic, here. :)
I understand and I do agree with you to a certain point but the fact is this is a free shard in 2009 and macroing and multiclienting are pretty much the standard. I believe that trying to eliminate them now, especially after they've been in play here for nearly 2 years, is not good for the shards health or growth.

There would be a very marked difference in populations. Those "pre macro/multiclient" fix and those post.

When you think about it, isn't this shard about a population of players that didn't like OSI's fixes to what they thought was wrong with UO during T2A?

So, that's why I suggest we stay on the topic that doens't require a change that I frankly do not think Derrick would go for.

With that being said, yes, using ghosts as a risk free recon tool is out of control and needs to be fixed because it greatly reduces the risk factor with a certain play style.

I find it rich that someone acutually used concern for shard growth to try to support ghosting. When it clearly preys upon those that we need to remain to grow.

So, I say fix ghosting. You can PK those newbies all you want because, after all, T2A was about risk v. reward and KeWl Do0Ds. But fix ghosting because it nearly eliminates risk to a risk based game.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Kraarug wrote:
So, I say fix ghosting. You can PK those newbies all you want because, after all, T2A was about risk v. reward and KeWl Do0Ds. But fix ghosting because it nearly eliminates risk to a risk based game.
Agreed, it sucks when i get murdered, but I have the foresight to know that it's for the greater good.

You look at any MMORPG where pvp and the item loss risk is low and the population/economy is severely out of whack.

The presence of risk means, I become a smarter player, I learn from my mistakes, and I routinely visit Lar'asha for new a shadow armor suit, and thus stimulate the economy and giving me something to do. :lol:

We need the risk in the game. Ghosting elimintate risks. t2a era accuracy states that risk is INTENDED GAMEPLAY.