No weapon hits while running

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: No weapon hits while running

Post by Kraarug »

Prurk wrote:Doesn't feel good. I've been chasing people to no avail in the field. Much less noticeable in ctf or ddom due to tight corridors, but still doesn't feel right. Maybe I've been spoiled by years of runUO mechanics, but currently playing my dexxer on UOSA isn't comparable to any era/shard/time I've played UO. Tough issue indeed, but in a shard full of tankmages it is going to be hard not to push their buttons. I suppose I'll have to get used to it. I'm with Choppa though, I can't stop a fleeing opponent anymore. If I catch up to them and they don't recall, I'm still playing cat and mouse eventually because I get maybe one good swing in. Coupled with long healing timers its becoming quite the challenge to take the orc out. I'm seriously contemplating switching to macing, and just pray I run someone out of TR's. Fencing with a warfork/kryss just sucks now.
Macing is not better since everyone is mounted. Basically, to get a kill shot in your target has to make a mistake like running out of GH regs. After all, they can stand there naked and keep casting it over and over again.

Geryon

Post by Geryon »

8 pages talking about how retarded it is, and like 2 people that agree with how it is.

You guys running this place should seriously stop listening to Faust. He is gonna stunt your growth.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Gerry,

My invitation for you to show me something inaccurate that I have researched is still out there... I'm sure you will continue talking out of your ass with nothing to back it up as always.

Thanks,

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

Coming from playing a T2A townie dexxer on a T1 in the era, swing timers elapsed while running.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Apr 28 2000: (Note, this is a UO:R change that documents a change to combat that was within T2A and prior) wrote: wrote: "Players using melee weapons in combat will now hold their swing until their target is in range. Additionally, the timer that determines melee weapon swing times (combat timer) will now advance as the player is moving. Thus, melee weapon users will no longer be required to stop moving before swinging."
That would be a little hard when the UOR patch update clearly states the timer didn't advance while moving for melee weapon delays...

This was also confirmed to be the case during August/September '98 inside of the UO Demo..

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

I guess the only other explanation would be everyone else had lag and my lack of it.

Geryon

Post by Geryon »

I played for like 5 months before UOR came out. I played a dexer, a Parry Mace dexer, and I KNOW FOR A FACT that you never had to stop for your swing timer to reset. I was constantly able to cut people off and swing at them.

There was NEVER a time where you got ONE swing, then just stood there to recharge your weapon.

If the language seems to indicate it was indeed that way, then something in their formula was drastically different than this shit.

Faust is full of shit and is retarded.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Please explain to me how I'm "full of shit" son?

Geryon

Post by Geryon »

if you think the pvp here is anywhere remotely correct, you are, indeed, full of shit.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Again, please show me one thing that isn't accurate to the era that was implemented here based on my research...

Until you do that quit running your mouth.

I don't need a UOR nobody that didn't even PVP in this era telling me how "remotely correct the pvp is" when you didn't even pvp.
Last edited by Faust on Mon May 04, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

have you tried contacting markeedragon to check his Db yet? He has shit on his site older than dirt.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Again, this change was change that was not brought about by Faust.

Beyond that, if people believe that their swing timers did indeed advance while moving, it would be in your best interest to find some credible information to back up that particular claim.

Finally, the following quote is just a reminder for some individuals. You know who you are.
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflammatory or off topic posts will be removed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

malice-tg wrote:not everyone lagged during era. myself i had broadband in 98. the logic is flawed.

they didnt change the swings to "fix" anything at all. they were trying to make "mages" and "warrior" different "classes" thats why they did special hits and gave mages leather armor and other skills bonuses removed precasting and put in poison blocking heal. it wasnt a fix so choppa could hit someone with his weapon while running.
Honestly, you weren't on the dev team in '99 and there was never any patch note stating "why they did this", so you're talking completely from speculation. Many would speculate the counterpoint. It's not really important though, since it has been stated the patch is only in place for "era accuracy".

While you may have had a broadband connection in '98, most of the servers still lagged like crap, and most people were on dial up. This would've meant if a broadband connection was chasing down a dial up, their swing timers elapsed at roughly the same rate (from pauses). Personally I thought 'horse lag' was a good addition that added to the feel of the era. Just tossing out the suggestion that it would solve this 'swing while running' problem, too.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE