Server Age Requirement

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Server Age Requirement

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:Out of curiosity, just how would you go about putting an age requirement on IRC..? It's not like you can check each person's ID who logs in, and it's pretty simple to just make an age up..

:roll:
When people are typing in all caps spamming lines such as OMG U SUX over and over again, it would be pretty clear they don't meet the age requirement.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

alatar

Post by alatar »

Derrick wrote:
alatar wrote:Out of curiosity, just how would you go about putting an age requirement on IRC..? It's not like you can check each person's ID who logs in, and it's pretty simple to just make an age up..

:roll:
When people are typing in all caps spamming lines such as OMG U SUX over and over again, it would be pretty clear they don't meet the age requirement.
poor chumbucket.. :lol:
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Question i have been meaning to ask (bc im guilty of this)

does typing sh1t or d@mn (exactly as i typed there, with ! & @'s) contribute to poor google classifying?

I typically type sh1t or something like that to conform with Derrick's request on no swearing in the non trash-talk forums. Acceptable? Yay or Nay?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hoots wrote:Question i have been meaning to ask (bc im guilty of this)

does typing sh1t or d@mn (exactly as i typed there, with ! & @'s) contribute to poor google classifying?

I typically type sh1t or something like that to conform with Derrick's request on no swearing in the non trash-talk forums. Acceptable? Yay or Nay?
Much more acceptable I think. I'm not a search engine expert by any means, but this policy has been based on the common sence assumption that excess profanity is going to effect how we display in search engine results, and how we are classified in directories such as Yahoo.

To some extent, it's a fools errand to keep this place cleaned up, with participation and understanding from everyone, it's a lot easier though.

Thanks!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

looks at his "What Would Derrick Say" bracelet .. every time I'm about about to say something mean.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Tron

Post by Tron »

Daolin wrote:This is stupid. Tell the jokes in non-public places. Solved.

I'll bill you shortly

Or how 'bout everyone grows up? Wait, we did, and now we'd like to act like it.

I think there are some exagegrated beliefs about curse words making google log a site adult.

My home-site hasn't been listed as adults only and it is FULL of curse words every day, and has been for 3 years.

Code: Select all

http://www.be-logic.org
I'm not sure how it works honestly, but I think it takes alot more than curse words to be get that tagged on your site.
but iirc and the forum aren't the same anyways. our iirc should be an adult place, imo.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Faust

Post by Faust »

The website is understandable in my opinion. If Google or any search engine for that matter doesn't do it now doesn't necessarily mean they won't in the future. Once a web site has been deemed adult it probably wouldn't be easy to remove that status. Trying to keep it from ending up to that point is better than the opposite in all honesty. I don't think it's worth trading the current status for the consquences if it did happen. However, IRC is another issue to me. I honestly wouldn't care what goes on in there at all. I look at iRC no differently than in game when it comes to discretion. If someone is offended by material they deem inappropriate than they can simply put that person on ignore just like on the game.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Faust wrote:The website is understandable in my opinion. If Google or any search engine for that matter doesn't do it now doesn't necessarily mean they won't in the future. Once a web site has been deemed adult it probably wouldn't be easy to remove that status. Trying to keep it from ending up to that point is better than the opposite in all honesty. I don't think it's worth trading the current status for the consquences if it did happen. However, IRC is another issue to me. I honestly wouldn't care what goes on in there at all. I look at iRC no differently than in game when it comes to discretion. If someone is offended by material they deem inappropriate than they can simply put that person on ignore just like on the game.

Faust is right you can just put someone on ignore.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Too many people on this server (as well as the internet in general) throw around "f" bombs like they are going out of style. Whether they do this because their vocabulary is that of a 10 year old or because they think they look cool.

Regardless, I'm all one for a nicely placed "f" bomb, but the last thing I want is the rest of these boards, IRC or in game turning into our trash talk forum. My IQ drops 20 points whenever I step foot in that forum.

Pro

Post by Pro »

trash talk forum is the place to be.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:If Google or any search engine for that matter doesn't do it now doesn't necessarily mean they won't in the future. Once a web site has been deemed adult it probably wouldn't be easy to remove that status.
100% true.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

poogoblin wrote:Too many people on this server (as well as the internet in general) throw around "f" bombs like they are going out of style. Whether they do this because their vocabulary is that of a 10 year old or because they think they look cool.

Regardless, I'm all one for a nicely placed "f" bomb, but the last thing I want is the rest of these boards, IRC or in game turning into our trash talk forum. My IQ drops 20 points whenever I step foot in that forum.
Need 20 to drop 20.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

mirage wrote:
Need 20 to drop 20.
Fail