spell damage & death

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: spell damage & death

Post by nightshark »

RoadKill wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote: I remember (after the action delay was decreased or whatever) that you could use like 15 pots before the 3 seconds were up and esc-cancel them all and even after you died they would all keep exploding. So we would do that and run into crowds of people at the bank etc.
I remember this too, OSI fixed it mostly because of UOExtreme's "Multi Last Item" function (which was really just a fancy way of double-clicking as many items at once as you wanted to prequeue). Later on people used UOA + Purple Pots to do chain-bombings until that was fixed
How was this would be possible with a 1 second action delay?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

MatrondeWinter wrote: I remember (after the action delay was decreased or whatever) that you could use like 15 pots....

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I just tested this on the demo (was rather difficult to do without the ability to multi client OR die). The only evidence I could find relating was that a monster will do 0 damage if it dies before a spell hits.

My experiment:
Created a wall of chests, spawned a balron on the other side. Waited for it to attack and release an explosion (you can easily tell since the animation plays first on the demo and damage hits 3 seconds later). If guards were called and the balron died before the damage hit, the avatar would receive 0 damage. If guards were not called, damage was obviously applied normally.

This is consistent with my personal memory of how it worked with both NPCs and players. I did not test explosion potions, nor have any recollection of how they worked.

The second test I wanted to perform was to cast explosion on a tamed cat, guard whack myself before the damage was applied and see if the cat still died. This was unfortunately impossible since the avatar is immune from death :(

If anyone can work out how to do the damn quest without the game crashing (with the hacked demo), I can test these things. I have no idea how to remove the avatar's invulnerability.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I did some investigation into this and these are the results:

First, a look in the scripts does not reveal any checks to see if the player who targeted the spell is dead when the spell makes a function call to process the damage (although it would be very easy to do so).

Secondly, a test was on the demo was done with the explosion spell. The test revealed that when an explosion is targeted on another player, when both the attacker and defender are standing outside guard zone, that if the attacker died before the explosion spell did its damage 3 seconds later, the victim would still receive the damage from the explosion spell. Pending further testing on live servers, and a pinpoint of any changes subsequent changes after the demo, the indications at this point are that spells will continue to do their damage even after the caster dies.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Dmg is canceled after you die now though

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

If anyone can work out how to do the damn quest without the game crashing (with the hacked demo), I can test these things. I have no idea how to remove the avatar's invulnerability.
Just say "dismiss" to the wisp.

If you type in-game and a crash occurs then you have to rename "chardata.mul" to "chardata.backup". Its file format was changed later on in the lifetime of UO and the new format is incompatible with the old file format used by the demo.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

I remember many a duel where both parties ended up dead thanks to a delayed explosion coming after the caster died. This was how it used to be. Should be changed to reflect that.
Special Projects Minion.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kaivan wrote:I did some investigation into this and these are the results:

First, a look in the scripts does not reveal any checks to see if the player who targeted the spell is dead when the spell makes a function call to process the damage (although it would be very easy to do so).

Secondly, a test was on the demo was done with the explosion spell. The test revealed that when an explosion is targeted on another player, when both the attacker and defender are standing outside guard zone, that if the attacker died before the explosion spell did its damage 3 seconds later, the victim would still receive the damage from the explosion spell. Pending further testing on live servers, and a pinpoint of any changes subsequent changes after the demo, the indications at this point are that spells will continue to do their damage even after the caster dies.
Thanks Kaivan, I knew this seemed a bit off.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Is there 0 damage received from spells players cast in town, on the demo? It seems monsters should apply full damage from spells when casting onto a player in town. I didn't check the reverse (whether monsters should receive spell damage from players).

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

nightshark wrote:Is there 0 damage received from spells players cast in town, on the demo? It seems monsters should apply full damage from spells when casting onto a player in town. I didn't check the reverse (whether monsters should receive spell damage from players).
I'm pretty sure you will never take spell damage in town from any source, whether it be monster or player.

However, I have noticed that spell enchanted weapons do in fact apply "full" spell damage in town. A katana of daemon's breath will do normal melee damage + the appropriate spell damage from the enchantment, which isn't nullified down to 1.

May need another thread for that though.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Cstrat

Post by Cstrat »

Sexy Smithy wrote:I remember many a duel where both parties ended up dead thanks to a delayed explosion coming after the caster died. This was how it used to be. Should be changed to reflect that.

yes, this IS how it was..

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Semi unrelated, but its interesting:

Once upon a time, before the big combat patch (like a day before) Johnny Hobo and I had a duel with an interesting outcome.... We both died to each others hally hits simultaneously. It was the only double kill I've ever witnessed on UOSA.

Anyway, good thread Sandro, I hope this gets pushed though soon.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kaivan wrote:I did some investigation into this and these are the results:

bump

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Please make this work for exp potions also.

I toss 4 exp pots into a crowded area, the first one does damage, I get guard whacked, the rest do 0 damage.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Rose wrote:Please make this work for exp potions also.

I toss 4 exp pots into a crowded area, the first one does damage, I get guard whacked, the rest do 0 damage.
pretty sure that this should apply to that as well, wouldn't be too hard to test it out the same way this was tested, i just don't have the demo hack ;/