Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

Post by Derrick »

son wrote:Furthermore the rideable llama spawn is much slower now (in UOSA) than what it was in OSI time.
It's more a case that the llamas are being overfarmed and no one is killing off the other stuff

platy

Post by platy »

It is correct to call how she got them to Brittania a "bug"..
I'm no idiot (and neither were the developers of UO): I knew the Delucia passage, the pillars in the sea, and one or two more ways to get from The Lost Lands into Brittania (Just like the creators did): I tried every ONE of them to get animals across.. And like I said: NONE worked.. You think the developers would only nerf ONE of the many pathways between worlds??? I don't think so..
She did infact use some sort of "glitch" or "bug" to get them across, that I am sure of.
I remember if trying to go thru the Delucia passage you could easily walk across the worlds, BUT once you set foot in Brittania your mount would automatically be left in T2a and you'd be stranded without a mount in the dungeon.
Possibly could've been a bug outwitting the stables?- I never actually gave it any thought how she did it, but I was never able to myself

Faust

Post by Faust »

I'm positive it was through the use of green acres and similar locations. One has to also remember that white wyrms were also "t2a creatures", meaning they would have to be brought back through the same manner.

platy

Post by platy »

That could be true, but do you remember the guy who brought over a nightmare into Brittania? (I could be wrong about timing- this might have been earlier)
BUT he took screenshotted records of his interaction with the GM's of his shard, he was sitting on the nightmare in Trinsic and the GM's told him to get off.. when he wouldn't they banned his account.. He literally took screenshots of it and one of them stated (in his journal) "These are prohibited in Brittania, please dismount" or something along those lines then he went to jail to continue the discussion and eventually they banned him..Which coincides with what Kavian said no?
I doubt the pics are still up but i'll try to find links if I can..

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i caught onto this thread a little late, sorry if this has been answered but what will happen to people on nightmares in britania, and people with white wyrms in thier brit stable when/if this patch goes through? are they going to be deleted? or sent to a stable in the lost lands?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

kill drizitz wrote:i caught onto this thread a little late, sorry if this has been answered but what will happen to people on nightmares in britania, and people with white wyrms in thier brit stable when/if this patch goes through? are they going to be deleted? or sent to a stable in the lost lands?
We wouldn't delete anyones pets. I don't think we'll restrict lost lands creatures in Britainia, but we may limit the MG/Papua teleporter. I certainly remember these creatures being brought back although I don't have any specific recollection on the mechanism.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This is another example of specific shards involving the GM's. Baja wasn't a place where someone would be banned for something like this unless they were looking for a reason to ban someone. It became one of those issues similar to black dye tubs.

If this ends up being implemented I doubt anything would happen to the current t2a creatures in the old lands. There would be no reason to delete or remove them.

One way I can see t2a creatures being brougt back is through the event system. Most of the events are based in green acres and this would be a related way for people to get them back to the old lands on here.

Here is an example of one of my pictures with the most common spot for this.

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 147wg1.jpg

I have 4 others at different locations for cave and non cave locations.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

It was not a bug or an exploit, there was some very simple way to bring them across. I remember riding them back and forth myself, I believe it was just simply through the Delucia passage. It was definitely not through the use of Green Acres. It was not as simple as a couple people knowing some bug/exploit to bring animals through, anyone who owned t2a could bring them back through with no problem.

And why do the patch notes posted in the OP mention rideable llamas and ostards specifically and not nightmares?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

This thread is faust at his finest.... it really is too bad.

I know your stance on era accuracy fuast as you have said it time and time again but here is how you look/sound to everyone.

Woah, there is something interesting... be it, fun, convenient, different, colored, something players like or something or something taking some of the redundancy out of a 11 year old client…

Better get rid of it and find some obscure screenshot to post as proof.

Your new motto should be “if you arnt thinking 11 years ago, you just arnt thinking”

I actually really like that!

Glad you're here contributing.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan wrote: Changes to T2A/ Britannia transportation Dec 4 2000 4:57PM CST
The current travel restrictions that exist between T2A (Second Age lands) and Britannia (Old Lands) will be lifted in the following manner:

Players will be able to recall and gate between the Lost Lands (T2A) and Britannia.
Passageways and connection points between the Lost Lands and Britannia will be open to tamed creature travel.
Players will be able to use stablemasters in both areas with T2A or Britannian creatures. Players will be able to remove Lost Lands creatures from the stables while being within the Britannian lands, and vice versa.
Players will be able to ride a mounted ostard or rideable llama across Lost Land/Britannian access points.
Allow for rideable llamas to be mounted in the Old Lands (Britannia).

Patch note link: http://update.uo.com/design_279.html
I forgot I'm the one that started this thread with the proof for this topic Hoots. :roll:

Pretty sure that I've already stated that my motto is exactly the same as it stands on the front page of this web site. Here since you've probably forgotten by now.
Since inception, the goal, vision and rationale of even creating this shard has been very simple but unique:

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.
We do not intend to ever change any aspect of normal gameplay to particularly favor any playstyle or to protect or further expose any players to to the in-game risk that was a large part of this era.
We will especially not pull aspects of other eras into this one even with an overwhelming demand of players.
Anyone here want to elaborate on what the bold font means? Anyone?

Thanks,
Faust

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Faust wrote:
Kaivan wrote: Changes to T2A/ Britannia transportation Dec 4 2000 4:57PM CST
The current travel restrictions that exist between T2A (Second Age lands) and Britannia (Old Lands) will be lifted in the following manner:

Players will be able to recall and gate between the Lost Lands (T2A) and Britannia.
Passageways and connection points between the Lost Lands and Britannia will be open to tamed creature travel.
Players will be able to use stablemasters in both areas with T2A or Britannian creatures. Players will be able to remove Lost Lands creatures from the stables while being within the Britannian lands, and vice versa.
Players will be able to ride a mounted ostard or rideable llama across Lost Land/Britannian access points.
Allow for rideable llamas to be mounted in the Old Lands (Britannia).

Patch note link: http://update.uo.com/design_279.html
I forgot I'm the one that started this thread with the proof for this topic Hoots. :roll:

Pretty sure that I've already stated that my motto is exactly the same as it stands on the front page of this web site. Here since you've probably forgotten by now.
Since inception, the goal, vision and rationale of even creating this shard has been very simple but unique:

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.
We do not intend to ever change any aspect of normal gameplay to particularly favor any playstyle or to protect or further expose any players to to the in-game risk that was a large part of this era.
We will especially not pull aspects of other eras into this one even with an overwhelming demand of players.
Anyone here want to elaborate on what the bold font means? Anyone?

Thanks,
Faust

I said I know your stance... you didnt need to recopy it.

It’s my opinion... and nothing more than that... that when emulating a 1999 game that 2009 common sense could be used.

Specifically on things that involve nothing more than appearances and slight player conveniences.

Were not talking about combat damage or even heal/cure times with bandages here... we are talking about different mount choices of light horse/dark horse…. My god! How unbalancing.

I regret even posting in this thread cause these debates (if you could even call it that) go nowhere.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There is much more to this than what you're presenting. There was a reason people sold nightmares, ostards, and white wyrms. Not just because they were "neato". The difficulty of bringing them to the old lands made it very inconvenient and made them more valuable than what they would be otherwise. There is a lot more to this than simply appearances and conveniences. Accuracy, mechanics, economy, and many other reasons can be appended to this era accurate game mechanic.

I understand where you are coming from though. Many people ask what is the point in adding era accurate mechanics such as this. The reason is to strive to make this shard as ACCURATE as possible. The way it works on here currently is in fact USING a UOR mechanic. That is going against practically the main line on the front page of our web site. I know it is a trivial issue, however people can pick these inconsistencies apart one by one and it can amount up to a lot in the overall picture. This presents a bad image of the shard since we love claiming that we are the most accurate t2a shard there is. Do you realize we have pages and pages of inconsistencies to correct or fix like this?

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Well, not that anyone would care (and personally I think it could be a good thing for the Bloodrock) but if Ostards are removed from the main world then the orcs won't have mounts anymore ;-) We don't ride horses, we eat them. Lol.

Course, I prefer to see the orcs on foot anyway, thats how dad did it and its worked fairly well for me.

So I guess the question is...how best to implement this for accuracy.

1. Don't implement it. Understand that the only reason it wasn't implemented was due to problems with coding and connection speeds during the era, plus the desire to force people to buy T2A for the content. The 'spirit' of T2A could certainly allow for these.

2. Implement the change and disable the extended mounts/pets in the main world. This would shoot the price up of existing mounts/animals but isn't necessarily accurate due to #3.

3. Implement the change but also implement the 'green acres' bug (or any other bugs) which allowed moving pets between worlds. This method would be most accurate but would effectively mean we are right back where we started.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Faust wrote: Do you realize we have pages and pages of inconsistencies to correct or fix like this?
I would never guess that...

That is my point. To me, im not saying everyone, accuracy is about the meat and potatoes....

The main concepts have to be accurate, specifically PvP stuff. I would say the shard is as accurate as i could possibly remember it. Lets call it 99% accurate because to me something like having to cut bandages 1x1 or allowing rideable llamas or ostards in the old lands count for about .00001%....

I just hate to see these trivial things that may not be accurate, but in my opinion improve the shard's desirability, and at the same time are not unbalancing, be taken away in the name of accuracy.

Not to mention, when spanning a time frame there are things that change back and fourth and cannot be really proved to be accurate or not bc its all relative.

I understand having to draw a hard line of black/white but it’s just hard to accept sometimes when it appears to be for nothing more than inconveniencing players.

Unfortunately, to me, this is how your posts constantly come across... It almost sounds like you take pride in depriving players of trivial conveniences....

I would think that isnt how you feel... its just how you come across to me.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

accuracy 4tw
a lot of the little annoying things that wasted time and made life miserable are part of what made t2a what it was
just readin these forums you realize that some of the most clear memories that people had of t2a were those stupid annoying little things

give em to the people! so they can be annoyd all over again and remember t2a as it was :D unfriendly and awesome
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]