Offensive names can be reported right?

Topics related to Second Age
inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Offensive names can be reported right?

Post by inkognito »

Guys, I posted it because my family (specifically, child) has been a target of this word by other younger children. I trust that every single one of you know I don't lose sleep over immaturity and griefers. I also understand that it is second nature for some to be naive just because of upbringing or low sense of dignity.
I also understand my environment. This is a UO shard that's populated by all kinds of self sufficient adults as well as others. I merely wanted to bring this to the attention of moderators and I realize now posting probably wasn't the best way to accomplish that. I will make better use of pm's in the future.

Again, t wasn't my intention to incite a thread fire especially over race.

Thanks for your responses. Everyone on the forums have been upstanding individuals and I know it reflects the majority of our server.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Downs wrote:If we're gonna debate racism in a wizard game, we gotta ask ourselves why orcs and ettins arent allowed in towns
LOL! Ya why are 'Reds' not allowed in town? We have something against rednecks...or indians?

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Budner wrote:Umm, the staff will do nothing. This has been debated to death. But since you brought it up ..... it's ERA INACCURATE to allow such names to be used, or language to be used during the game. Was bannable back in the day.
We do indeed change names that we deem offensive. The replacement is randomly generated from a pre-defined list of names. Therefore, if you don't want to end up with an in-game name like, "Mark", "George", "Adam", "Sue", etc., don't create an offensive name.

To subsequently get rid of the generic name, the character must have a Name Change Deed within their possession.

We aren't always watching; though, and must be on-line to be able to act, which is why if you leave us a message, we can take care of it once we log back in.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Budner wrote:I stand corrected. It never occurred to me that you can spout any possible offensive or racist word or phrase with utter impunity on this shard (which is unquestionably era inaccurate) but somehow the staff would care about the name you choose. So I can say "*uck you *igger Jew *unt" all day at the Brit bank but if my character's name is "niglet" the staff changes it to "Generic Player" and I can still say "*uck you *igger Jew *unt" all day at the Brit bank. That makes perfect sense. That is genius.
This is, again, incorrect. Anyone caught doing that in a public place will be permanently squelched preventing any of their characters on the account from saying anything thereby limiting their ability to cast spells, use vendors, or bank; or, most importantly, harass other players.

Swill Bag

Post by Swill Bag »

the witch hunt continues

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Swill Bag wrote:the witch hunt continues

This racist bastard needs to be looked at by the staff as well. He uses very vulgar and racist language in game and on the forums...and I LOVE it! It really enforces our freedom of speech here in the US...for all you foreigners that dont agree, drop dead...

That is all...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

"Players can filter any word they choose, through the client options, genius. Players cannot filter names."

No shit Blaise.

You've missed the point, which is why tolerate it at all? Why have one policy that allows these words and another that doesn't, simultaneously?

Why have a system where you can't use a certain NAME and you can't say a certain word at the BANK but it's OK to spam it all over a DUNGEON? Where's the consistency in that?

If you can filter, why can't you spew profanity at the bank?

Personally I'm not offended by these words in-game, I couldn't care less except pitying the sad little racists who say these things. But the inconsistency in policy is troubling AND it is era inaccurate for saying these words to not be a bannable offense.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Hahah, you're missing the point it would seem, not me.
The UO client has word filter capabilities that you, as the player, must administer. The shard adminstration has no control over this.
If they choose to squelch at the bank as Braden has said, it is because that is a high traffic area. That doesn't mean they wouldn't also squelch someone who does it in a dungeon. It is just less obvious/noticed in a dungeon.
However, name alteration and speach squelching are two different things. One is in your control to filter as you see fit, the other is only possible through administration. Braden has just now made it clear that administration can and will extend their reach as far as speach, but not always/often.

As for why tolerate it at all....well, it's manual intervention. A lot of names are blocked from use right at the gate. The clever will find their way around it, at which point a report needs to come in or they need to see the player name by chance (slim) before they manually intervene.

You can spew profanity, just don't spam it or get excessive if you don't want your hand slapped (or mouth taped)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

OK wait a minute. I was under the clear impression that the staff WOULD NOT ban or suspend someone from the shard due to foul language, racial slurs or other abuses of the typed word (I understand that you can't use certain character names although trying to do so is obviously not bannable). There have been numerous other threads beating this issue to death.

Am I wrong about this? Did this policy change?

Swill Bag

Post by Swill Bag »

Budner wrote:OK wait a minute. I was under the clear impression that the staff WOULD NOT ban or suspend someone from the shard due to foul language, racial slurs or other abuses of the typed word (I understand that you can't use certain character names although trying to do so is obviously not bannable). There have been numerous other threads beating this issue to death.

give it a break dude, you think you can come in here and throw money around and get ppl banned for hurting your feelings? if you cant take name calling I doubt youl be able to take a house looting. just set up the speech filter and be done with it

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

Swill Bag wrote:
Budner wrote:OK wait a minute. I was under the clear impression that the staff WOULD NOT ban or suspend someone from the shard due to foul language, racial slurs or other abuses of the typed word (I understand that you can't use certain character names although trying to do so is obviously not bannable). There have been numerous other threads beating this issue to death.

give it a break dude, you think you can come in here and throw money around and get ppl banned for hurting your feelings? if you cant take name calling I doubt youl be able to take a house looting. just set up the speech filter and be done with it
^

i was told by staff several times that ppl have to use the ignore filter ingame cuz they wont do shit against it. yet staff says otherwise? ... whats next trammel patch n rpg only rules? rofl
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

As a *uck(ing) *igger Jew *unt I am offended. As a user of the internet for nearly two decades I am not surprised.

I despise any form of racism but we seriously need to draw a line somewhere before this becomes a Disneyland game.

What if I want to make a beggar character named Nagger. Is Nagger the beggar going to have to tippy toe around Britannia in fear of offending people that might draw offence from his name simply because it is similar to an offensive racial slur?

Of course I would not make a character like that because I do not want to offend people but that is a personal choice I am making myself.

Excluding direct (not hinting at) racial or otherwise offensive words, freedom should be weighed more importantly than how some people feel.

That said, this is a private server with an owner and that owner (along with a chosen staff) can do and dictate rules as they please.

Cheers
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

I never said anyone would be banned. I said their names would be forcibly changed and/or they would be squelched.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Didn't think the name selection would allow this. lol...
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

wow iam offended by Wyrm Fucker. please change his name to otto or so. thanks
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here