PVP Ladder?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
DemonArkanis

Re: PVP Ladder?

Post by DemonArkanis »

I guess, I find the event tournies to be enough though, I feel like people would abuse a free open system.

platy

Post by platy »

i agree on the abuse, i dunno maybe if the dev's actually think about this they'll come up with a solution, but somehow i'm never on during tourneys.. i really would love to be in them if i was on.

Squealer

Post by Squealer »

in respect to the chaos/order comment (not the factions)
i am refering to putting numbers on players and making them fit into a neat little graph.
when its more complex and dynamic than that.
arnt bragging rights enough for owning a player?
or revenge enough to want to get them back?

and if you want friendlies. duel your guild mates, or just pvp...

if what you propose; is a system that takes away the chance of a mate betraying you and taking your shit, its turning UO into trammel.

if its a in world system, players will be judging the odds and weighing scores. cant the reputation that proceeds you be enough already?

if you are going to do it. maybe add the ranking to the choas/order faction or guild wars, so it encourages players that want a ranking 2 join that...

platy

Post by platy »

Squealer wrote:in respect to the chaos/order comment (not the factions)
i am refering to putting numbers on players and making them fit into a neat little graph.

if what you propose; is a system that takes away the chance of a mate betraying you and taking your shit, its turning UO into trammel.

if its a in world system, players will be judging the odds and weighing scores. cant the reputation that proceeds you be enough already?

if you are going to do it. maybe add the ranking to the choas/order faction or guild wars, so it encourages players that want a ranking 2 join that...
Well if your afraid of safe zones, I already said I'd not like to see one.. Hence ANYONE can go to the duel area and PK/gank everyone in there if they want.. Just not the people who are already dueling- to gank/pk them you need to wait for the duel to end..
Dueling friendlies is more like PVP practice.. a ladder system is FAR from practice man, its competetive duels..
Your looking at this the wrong way man, its not about bragging rights, or revenge or owning, its JUST about dueling and PVP.. there's enough rants goin on around here..
As for ranking Order/Chaos system.. thats rediculous.. those are guilds fighting- AND its usually pretty obvious which guild runs the shards, Here however no one guild has made a huge presence yet but it'll come..

Again the dueling arena should be no safer than anywhere else out of guards, i like your input but i honestly feel like your concerns are pretty off-topic when it comes to a simple pvp ladder.. :?:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:i agree on the abuse, i dunno maybe if the dev's actually think about this they'll come up with a solution, but somehow i'm never on during tourneys.. i really would love to be in them if i was on.
If you are on, get a couple interested people together as ask us for a tourney. We'll throw one.

In the meantime, I am thinking hard on this.

Zanshin

Post by Zanshin »

i used to duel in lost area with friends for hours, i dont think a reward system is a good idea, but only a duel area would be fun, wrong lvl3 is accesible, ppl could come interrupt fights, but anyway, my lil 2 cents on this is that theres no real need for an official pvp area (id greatly like it) but if you wanna duel bring some ppl and make a 12x12 with boxes.
A ladder system would be rly nice yep, theres already one in 1V1 2V2 in tourney area tho :/ so idk getting bit messy to make 2, the idea is good tho dont get me wrong.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Not to referrence, but, if there were to be a system implemented I believe the best bet would be along the lines of a system similar to either UOGamers or Project X. However I don't think a custom built pk-safe zone (like UO:G Docks in Delucia) would be a wise idea. You just end up with another Bank-type area where people go afk because they know nobody can afk-kill them in any-way. I think you should be able to initiate the duel from the players current location, perferably with words of power ('i wish to duel' etc.) and from there be teleported to a location that is safe to duel. Also, I think after the duel ends there should be a safe location in which they are moved to so people can't camp the 'return' spot from duels, like Brit Bank possibly. I do think that there could be an area for spectators, but I don't like the idea of that area being 'trammelized'. If people want to watch the duel they should be well-off enough to fend for themselves..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

platy

Post by platy »

thanks for thinkin bout it Derrick, it seems there are two sides:
1. People who want a safe duel area
2. People who want a non-safe duel area

There is also a 3: Don't really like the idea

Anyways I know wrong lvl 3 could be inturrupted but thats just a risk of being out of guards.. I think its a perfect place for something like this- just like there's a red healer there now a scorekeeper npc would be perfect, and really wouldn't change the shard at all, with one bullitin board posting the names and w-l everyone has. I agree with alatar, like I said i think the perfect resource would be Project X's duel system, because the arena's are right outta guards (although the direct arena is in guards).. If we did something like that the 1v1's would be safely protected(can't get attacked during the duel), but as soon as the fight is over your in Wronglvl3 outta guards and open to gank/pk..and with a limit of 5 duels per week there wouldnt be people camping in the duel area to stay away from PKs
thanks for the comments guys maybe this would be a better idea when the shard grows a little bit more, and I know there's a record for the current Tourney's- but they are only accessible during tournaments.. wrong lvl 3 can be accessed anytime.

bOmb

Post by bOmb »

Squealer wrote:in respect to the chaos/order comment (not the factions)

To me it wouldnt be all about the rankings. Also Order/Chaos fights are pretty rare, I have only seen a few, so this could be a way to actually pvp for those who cant find fights.

alatar

Post by alatar »

there is a ranking book for 1v1's & 2v2's inside brit bank
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

maybe two systems.

one an organized initiated duel system 'i challange' type in a safe 1 on 1 area and then

two a general score card for all kills in the world 'check score' showing all kills a character has against his enemies(orange or pk victims where at least both parties initiated some type of damage on each other to prevent counting afk kills or group kills)

?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

As soon as I can get to it, I'm going to implement some type of "scorecard". I'm thinking of exepmting "countable" kills from the scorecard. So the oponent will have to flag grey, be guild, or in house.

I'm not sure how to prevent the abuse of a player killing his own alts.

Squealer

Post by Squealer »

Derrick wrote: I'm not sure how to prevent the abuse of a player killing his own alts.
by making the score one gets for a kill dependant on the opp score.

ie.
with chess every1 starts at 1200.
if u beat the same lvl player u gain moderatly about 10pts i think
if u beat far higher rank, u gain alot. upto about 30 i think
if u beat lower rank u gain little etc etc. 1 or 2 pts sometimes none.
(same in reverse if you lose)

u'll have to figure out the scale, but yahoo chess does it something like that...

so yeah, killing ur noob char will become futile as your rank gets higher.

Euph

Post by Euph »

but that doesn't stop you from macroing alternating resskills to boost your score- when both characters would keep around the same score since they were both raising at the same rate...

Squealer

Post by Squealer »

yes it does.
for this system is like a sea-saw.
once you get a resemble score, you'd have to kill other decent players to gain off the char your macroing on.
you might as well kill them with the char you want...

but actually you raise a good pt, if a average player, boosts his score a bit on two toons, and then kills his secondry char to get pts......
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

actually no, this does not matter. for a player who does this, earnt all his pts. thus doing this would just be a kind of shifting process, from one toon to another. (this system would make it futile to gain ranking by not attacking other players, for the differentiation b/n scores wouldnt be enough)
but this sort of thing could be used more on the sly, by making your toon seem weaker than it is.

never the less, if a ladder system is going to be implimented. i cant think of a better system to rank players.