Bring back the 1v1 and 2v2 Tourneys!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Would you like to see the 1v1 and 2v2 brought back?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes, but only once a week.
35%
Yes, bi-weekly would be great.
35%
No, because I think player run events are better.
24%
No, because I can't pvp and think people who can should not have fun.
6%
No, because I cannot read.
No votes

Total votes: 17

Faust

Re: Bring back the 1v1 and 2v2 Tourneys!

Post by Faust »

Kraarug wrote:
Faust wrote:No one will waste their time fighting a dexer with pots using a tank mage...
So, I should take this as a standing 'backdown' from you?
Went to PM you after reading this post and you're not in IRC...

Had two other people that you could have fought too.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I worked late tonight on 3 transplants.

I'm home, router is working, so I'm up for it now.

Pro

Post by Pro »

Kraarug wrote:
Markmosthandsome wrote:ye we should reward click and follow for all the skill it is.
And harm, eb, hally is any more skillfull?

Are you in the league? Let's fight.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game << ;)

Get parry and you won't be hurting so bad.

I did fight you and as of yet I think I'm the only one in the league that has all that happened was I slowly ran out of red pots til I couldn't move and I died wasn't massively fun.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Markmosthandsome wrote:
Kraarug wrote:
Markmosthandsome wrote:ye we should reward click and follow for all the skill it is.
And harm, eb, hally is any more skillfull?

Are you in the league? Let's fight.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game << ;)

Get parry and you won't be hurting so bad.

I did fight you and as of yet I think I'm the only one in the league that has all that happened was I slowly ran out of red pots til I couldn't move and I died wasn't massively fun.
Actually I found someone else willing to fight last night.

How what you are describing that any different than a dexer running out of cure potions and dieing to a cheap 1 reg, 6 mana spell?

It's the game and if you are going to fight a macer with 25 dex I should think carring a keg of red potions and a few extra bottles in a no loot duel would be wise.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I think 3 tournaments a week would be awesome, one each of 1v1,2v2 and 3v3.

Part of the reason he's reluctant to put them in atm as he's said before is because theres been related crashes and bugs (You can't attack that!) to tournaments and I'm sure events aren't high priority on the fix list.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Hemperor wrote:I think 3 tournaments a week would be awesome, one each of 1v1,2v2 and 3v3.

Part of the reason he's reluctant to put them in atm as he's said before is because theres been related crashes and bugs (You can't attack that!) to tournaments and I'm sure events aren't high priority on the fix list.
Yeah one of each would be fun, get some activity going. The event system wasa big draw for the shard, and was a ton of fun. Same goes with the trophy system, it gave people something to work towards.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Kraarug wrote:
Faust wrote:Again, nobody is going to waste their time fighting a dexer with pots.

Duels for the majority of the pvp'er playerbase is about skill not item attrition.

I guess your lack of action proves the fact is that, even in your opinion, in T2A: Dexer > Tank Mage. It explains why you have worked hard to try to nerf them.

Blackfoot, I would hope that the tourney doesn’t anoint a winner until all active challenges are met. Please accept this message as my standing challenge to anyone in the top 3 of the scores, including and especially Faust.

I'd hate to see someone 'avoid' themselves into a tourney win. It seems that's Faust's plan. Chad- has already agreed to fight anyone so I'm just waiting to find him online when I am.

I don't care if I fight and lose, I just want to fight and test my character build against others that claim to be PvPers. I mean, come on, I playing an Orc for god's sake and under weapon restrictions too.

I guess pressing a button for a spell takes more skill than pressing a button for a potion that all players can use. Seems like a rather pathetic line of logic and excuse to me.

This is exactly why I think these tourneys should only come back under no potion restrictions. I don't care if poison is allowed, but to nerf out entire classes of PvPers and playing in a gimped tourney where magery is required and calling one self the #1 PvPer on the shard is rather weak in my opinion.

Derrick, if you bring back these tourneys, please keep potions in the mix, especially if trophies are awarded. It is the only fair approach and would certainly sort out who is really good at fighting other players.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Sorry, you're in the minority here as always.

The majority doesn't want to play a stupid game of item attrition.

If that was the case we would all be playing WoW.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

If you add in potions, then you would have to add in mounts, magic weaps, magic items, etc etc. There still is a running 2v2 for this already.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:Sorry, you're in the minority here as always.

I don't really know if this is true - I'd certainly prefer a tourney with potions. Why don't you make a potion-allowable tourney and a non-potion tourney? Then both of you can do what you want, and neither of you have to act like children in the forums. Sound good?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Mirage wrote:If you add in potions, then you would have to add in mounts, magic weaps, magic items, etc etc. There still is a running 2v2 for this already.
Those items don't have anything to do with direct combat mechanics.

Potions are usable by all templates regardless of choice of skill. To remove them would be like removing a certain reg like nightshade.

Magic items/weapons are individual and thus are not the same as regs or potions.

And mounts remove the benefit that a mace weapon awards it's user upon it's target.

So, having potions does not invite the addition of these other items.

Having said that though, even though it is not my preference, I would participate in duel that allowed all these items.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel123 wrote: I don't really know if this is true - I'd certainly prefer a tourney with potions. Why don't you make a potion-allowable tourney and a non-potion tourney? Then both of you can do what you want, and neither of you have to act like children in the forums. Sound good?
I have already said that previously in this thread...

Kraarug wrote: Potions are usable by all templates regardless of choice of skill.
That is the worst argument ever Kraarug...

All "templates" can use all of that other stuff too besides maybe a stealth character, but that means absolutely nothing since you can't hide/stealth in an event tourney making that a baseless argument.

There is a reason the mainstream pvper's prefer the standard ruleset that has existed since pretty much dueling itself. Introducing more items into pvper only tilts the luck factor significantly making the duel pointless and based on luck instead of skill. If you want item pvp go play modern UO or WoW and you'll get a handful of that awful luck based system. The game is already based on enough luck as it stands. We don't need to throw in more luck and item pvp factors ruining the tournaments even further.

The easy solution has already been coded for this. Two seperate tournaments for the majority and the minority. If you don't like fighting in one over the other than that is your choice. Nothing else needs to be said about the issue. There is a reason that the standard duel ruleset tournaments have a 90% turn out compared to the other.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:
Mikel123 wrote: I don't really know if this is true - I'd certainly prefer a tourney with potions. Why don't you make a potion-allowable tourney and a non-potion tourney? Then both of you can do what you want, and neither of you have to act like children in the forums. Sound good?
I have already said that previously in this thread...

Kraarug wrote: Potions are usable by all templates regardless of choice of skill.
That is the worst argument ever Kraarug...

All "templates" can use all of that other stuff too besides maybe a stealth character, but that means absolutely nothing since you can't hide/stealth in an event tourney making that a baseless argument.
You apparently do not have a good relationship with logic. Obviously I am not making a case for a 'stealth template' in a tourney. Try another tact against my statement. This time, try a valid one though.

A mage or dexer can use a potion equally. Your issue is that with a cure potion or with a heal potion the excessively long healers bandage timer can not be controlled by a mage and, apparently, the ability to use a hally in under 3 seconds and the ability to chain cast poison and cast a greater heal for 50 hps in 2 seconds is still not enough.

It's funny how just the use of these potions are enough to trump and destroy the prevailing class of duelers. It just show how weak the class is.

You're 'standard rule set' is not anything I saw on Chessy when I dueled on the LoD tower in 1999 and it little more than a way to frame the fight to require magery and a certain tactic. Like putting bowling pins in place so someone can get a strike with a exp/eb/hally combo.

It's probably best just to agree that in the field, with no restrictions, a dexer with high resist is the superior choice. A tank mage, and thus a tank mage to tank mage duel, is the most popular.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Mikel123 wrote:
Faust wrote:Sorry, you're in the minority here as always.

I don't really know if this is true - I'd certainly prefer a tourney with potions. Why don't you make a potion-allowable tourney and a non-potion tourney? Then both of you can do what you want, and neither of you have to act like children in the forums. Sound good?
That is how it was before.

Faust, don't waste your time bothering with Kraarug, I'll quote him from earlier on the league
I can't hack it under the rules the rest of you all play by (about 20 of you) so I am requesting that you bend the rules so they are drastically in my favor, every 15 seconds restoring myself to full health while I hope to hit you for 50%. I understand this is a no-lose situation for myself, any dumbass that has a finger on his right hand can hold down the right click and follow. Sincerely, Kraarug
Playing a dexxer with potions is an automatic win, it's ridiculous, and anyone could do it...so what is the point?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Wow... Where did I say that you was making an argument for a stealth template Kraarug? I clearly SAID that any templates can use all of that stuff discussed previously such as a horse, poison, magic weapons, etc... I only mentioned the stealth comment because you CANNOT stealth on a horse making a horse out of the question for a stealth template. I think you're the one that dropped the ball on a logic sense that time around.

A dexer has roughly around a 70% chance to resist poison at GM resist. Being able to "chain poison" is a very pointless statement since 9 mana is consumed with only a 30% success rate meaning only 3 out of 10 casted poisons will actually land. You could theoretically waste 63 mana and half a bandage timer until you actually cast the spell... This doesn't take into consideration of the greater heals casted in between from being beat on by the dexer monkeys weapon that would make the time go by significantly. Dexers have the ability to cure that poison with a measily 6 mana removing a possible 24% of their mana pool when the mage on average loses well over half just trying to get the poison to land on the target.

Also, please spare the hally hits happening less than 3 seconds. That only happens to a dexer if he sucks and can't waste the refresh.