Scrap The Trophy Trade In System.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do you think the trophy trade in system should be scrapped?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 56

Caranthir

Re: Scrap The Trophy Trade In System.

Post by Caranthir »

How about just replacing the entire 'special events' section with more in-dungeon events? I vividly recall OSI staff hosting PvP tournaments, however CTFs and other special area events simply draw people out of the dungeons and lands.

The Serpents Hold event a few days ago was a great example. People were having tons of fun, fighting mobs, looting, pking, anti-pking, notoing and what not; all within the 'regular' gameplay mechanics.

I just believe that, with a limited amount of players, the most should be done to get people into dungeons, into the game, rather than into event zones.

just my 0.02

Cara

P.S. Yes I know, slightly OT :]

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

I have stated this before, but I think that trophy points should only work or be available for the person that wins them -- eliminate trading of points. Also make sure that the rewards from trading points in can only be used by the person who earned them.

Making money through special events was never a part of UO in the past, why should it be here?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Mephistopheles wrote:If you don't want a trophy or staff made item then toss your trophies & gold, stop your complaining and let the players who were enjoying it before continue on. If the event rewards bother you that much don't do them or make your own reward free event. Why not do a dungeon crawl where none of the monsters drop any loot? Same concept.

This thread fails.

To the max.

Seriously, why would you want to ruin the enjoyment of others like that?
Love the "this thread fails" comments... Great discussion.

A lot of people's problems with events (or how they used to be at least) is you had to be a loot PvPer to have any chance at getting 50-100+ points for nice rewards. it was soley rewarding people who did nothing but PvP every second they were logged into UOSA. It was (or still is it?) a very biased reward system.

Id be fine about keeping the rewards but why not a some type of Bulk order deed event? Or something crafting related? Or PvM related?

Im not one who thinks the rewards are unfair, but shouldnt the people who have little interest in PvP have a chance at getting some nice rewards as well?

Too often this server thinks T2a was 100% about PvP... The economy, community as well as PvP is what made UO great.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Hoots wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:If you don't want a trophy or staff made item then toss your trophies & gold, stop your complaining and let the players who were enjoying it before continue on. If the event rewards bother you that much don't do them or make your own reward free event. Why not do a dungeon crawl where none of the monsters drop any loot? Same concept.

This thread fails.

To the max.

Seriously, why would you want to ruin the enjoyment of others like that?
Love the "this thread fails" comments... Great discussion.

A lot of people's problems with events (or how they used to be at least) is you had to be a loot PvPer to have any chance at getting 50-100+ points for nice rewards. it was soley rewarding people who did nothing but PvP every second they were logged into UOSA. It was (or still is it?) a very biased reward system.

Id be fine about keeping the rewards but why not a some type of Bulk order deed event? Or something crafting related? Or PvM related?

Im not one who thinks the rewards are unfair, but shouldnt the people who have little interest in PvP have a chance at getting some nice rewards as well?

Too often this server thinks T2a was 100% about PvP... The economy, community as well as PvP is what made UO great.
A bulk order deed event... so an event that ONLY crafters could play and is solely based on luck? Good luck with that one.

Survival is a fail of an event, barding is also another luck one, however I agree there should be more pvm events..But on the other hand there are many monster bashes/things pvmers can participate in that offer up 5 pt. trophies for all.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Hemperor wrote: A bulk order deed event... so an event that ONLY crafters could play and is solely based on luck? Good luck with that one.

Survival is a fail of an event, barding is also another luck one, however I agree there should be more pvm events..But on the other hand there are many monster bashes/things pvmers can participate in that offer up 5 pt. trophies for all.
I was thinking more of something like getting a crafting order deed once a week or something that crafters could do and turn in for reward points. With some creativity (about different crafts getting different orders/rewards) this could really build a crafting community (trading orders/supplies etc.) and could make more sellable items be out there. So maybe it gives crafters a reward once a week for participating or something (as opposed to winning something) but i dont see that "unbalancing" anything..

My view on the rewards is they should be obtainable by all character classes and play style choices. Considering the whole system is out of era to begin with it can pretty much be made however the devs want.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Hoots wrote:
Hemperor wrote: A bulk order deed event... so an event that ONLY crafters could play and is solely based on luck? Good luck with that one.

I was thinking more of something like getting a crafting order deed once a week or something that crafters could do and turn in for reward points. With some creativity (about different crafts getting different orders/rewards) this could really build a crafting community (trading orders/supplies etc.) and could make more sellable items be out there. So maybe it gives crafters a reward once a week for participating or something (as opposed to winning something) but i dont see that "unbalancing" anything..

My view on the rewards is they should be obtainable by all character classes and play style choices. Considering the whole system is out of era to begin with it can pretty much be made however the devs want.
Sounds like if the system stays in place that this deserves more of a look.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Caranthir wrote:How about just replacing the entire 'special events' section with more in-dungeon events? I vividly recall OSI staff hosting PvP tournaments, however CTFs and other special area events simply draw people out of the dungeons and lands.

The Serpents Hold event a few days ago was a great example. People were having tons of fun, fighting mobs, looting, pking, anti-pking, notoing and what not; all within the 'regular' gameplay mechanics.

I just believe that, with a limited amount of players, the most should be done to get people into dungeons, into the game, rather than into event zones.

just my 0.02

Cara

last time you came to one of your out of town events you griefed new players the whole time, thnx for comin out
nothing encourages activity out of town like grief
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

BlackFoot wrote:
Caranthir wrote:How about just replacing the entire 'special events' section with more in-dungeon events? I vividly recall OSI staff hosting PvP tournaments, however CTFs and other special area events simply draw people out of the dungeons and lands.

just my 0.02

Cara

last time you came to one of your out of town events you griefed new players the whole time, thnx for comin out
nothing encourages activity out of town like grief
I don't recall griefing anyone; I do recall all the racial and homophobic slurs directed at me though. Perfectly era accurate! :)

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

Hiram wrote:I have stated this before, but I think that trophy points should only work or be available for the person that wins them -- eliminate trading of points. Also make sure that the rewards from trading points in can only be used by the person who earned them.

Making money through special events was never a part of UO in the past, why should it be here?
True.

The trophies should be bound to the characters who have won them. But removing the whole trophy system would result in the loss of a feature, what nobody really wants.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

As Master Bilbo would say "legally killing newbs with nothing in their pocketses is reward in itself":p
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

How about:

1) Trophies only for events that are out of town, non-special era, accessible and realistic participation by all types of players (and not just the 1% attack last elite). Just like the Minax event recently, lots of people from all different gamestyles participated, it took hours to play out, there was tooons of fun for pvpers, PvErs, PKers etc. and 5 points afterwards seemed fair.

2) Remove all trophies from CTFs, 1vs1s, 2vs2s etc.. Replace them with a buy-in system. CTF buy in cost is 5k, all gold is split among the winning team. 1vs1, entry is 10k, winner gets it all, etc. etc.. That way people can still gain something besides forum notoriety from tournies.

Seems fair enough to me.

Kon

Post by Kon »

How bout you just get rid of all of it cause it isn't Era Accurate? I'm not saying the events aren't but the reward system isn't. I thought that's what we were shooting for after all. I mean that's the reason so many other changes are made. Well the trophy turn in and reward system isn't era accurate. So leave the trophys but make them just something to be collected not able to be turned in for anything.