Getting rid of runebooks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hawkins
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Getting rid of runebooks

Post by Hawkins »

Not true Kefka, there are already parts of that patch that we have not implemented. If it's truly all or nothing, we'd have Phase 2 housing.

Kon

Post by Kon »

I say get rid of runebooks or at least make them stealable as someone suggested. I mean already they aren't newbied as spellbooks are but give them a close to max stealing weight so only a GM theif would have a shot.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Dont Forget, Runebooks came in the same patch as potion kegs. you are volling to remove those as well.

Why can't they just be like every other grandfathered items on the server. Leave the libraries as is, Just be unable to craft new ones.

it would make them valuable, and people would never carry them.

That would solve the whole issue with them.

Hawkins
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hawkins »

tekai wrote:Dont Forget, Runebooks came in the same patch as potion kegs.
Again, no. We have already picked a piece out of this patch not to implement, we could just as easily pick another.

Personally though, I think we've already established that T2A was "hardcore". Why not remove potion kegs too? They only make it easier to stock potions, kinda like Phase 2 only makes it easier to store items in your house, bandies are easier to cut when you can do it all at once, and runes are easier to store in a Runebook. It would seem like, if there is any pervasive logic in what we are going to keep and what we are going to throw away, that would be it.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I'm not arguing with you about it, just stating a fact. Potion kegs were the same patch so they would have to be no longer craftable as well.

I just don't think they should be retro-actively changed. Every single rare on the server is a grandfathered no longer obtainable item, and i've spent a hundread hours on all of my runebooks, with the knowlege that it was accurate and ok to do.

remove new ones, keep old. like everything elce.
[broken image]

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

tekai wrote:I'm not arguing with you about it, just stating a fact. Potion kegs were the same patch so they would have to be no longer craftable as well.

I just don't think they should be retro-actively changed. Every single rare on the server is a grandfathered no longer obtainable item, and i've spent a hundread hours on all of my runebooks, with the knowlege that it was accurate and ok to do.

remove new ones, keep old. like everything elce.
Exactly it's my property, and if they're going to remove items just because they weren't supposed to be obtainable before hand then they'll have to remove certain items that were facing the wrong/wrong hue etc. that are rares now that have been changed and "grandfathered" in.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

If you remove runebooks, you have to remove potion kegs etc, you'll have to REMOVE THE TOURNIES AND TROPHY TURN IN SYSTEM, those WERE NEVER in ERA!!!!!

Remove all the inaccurate grandfathered items that "were allowed to stay"

And remove me, and about 200 other players.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I like the way people who dont understand the concept behind the choice of housing system, and the reasons for not using that paticular temporary system that bridges T2A and UO:R lockdown systems, are using it as leverage to force issues in other places. :roll:
?

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I am all for the removal of kegs and runebooks in game if its era accurate. Hell, we need to spice the game up a bit from time to time. I don't believe in mass "grandfathered" items. Its generally just yet another advantage over new players. No point saying something is inaccurate but allowing 10 million to exist.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kefka wrote:you'll have to REMOVE THE TOURNIES AND TROPHY TURN IN SYSTEM, those WERE NEVER in ERA!!!!!
Same reply to your other thread involving this.
Faust wrote:Arguing about events when it comes to era accuracy isn't possible. The events that happened on original shards varied from shard to shard. This argument is no different than trying to argue macroing and policy decisions. The events is not a game mechanic(what is being replicated here based on accuracy) not the different policies from one shard to the next that isn't possible to replicate. This is like trying to argue the Iron Oak invassion(the unique Iron reaper in Brit GY on the Baja shard) isn't accurate since it didn't happen on another shard. The events may in fact be automated but this is simply an improvement to the policy based on very few staff. Again, still not a game mechanic change but a policy change sinc events were UNIQUE. The events here are simply unique to this shard no different than the unique quality that other shards have, nothing more.

Now trying to argue bandages cutting towards policy change isn't feesible. Bandages cutting one by one HAPPENED on ALL shards unlike the unique events that happened from one shard to the next... This is the difference between game mechanic replication that is this server's main goal and policy decision replication which isn't the goal of this shard due to the fact it's not even possible. Trying to argue both topics into one isn't possible unless one shard had existed in the OSI shard list which obviously was never the case. You cannot replicate policy no different than trying to replicate your/mine/anyone's personal or social experience that they had during the t2a era. It just isn't possible unless you figured out how to build a time machine.
All that needs to be said on that related topic.

Thanks,

Hawkins
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hawkins »

Caswallon wrote:I like the way people who dont understand the concept behind the choice of housing system, and the reasons for not using that paticular temporary system that bridges T2A and UO:R lockdown systems, are using it as leverage to force issues in other places. :roll:
Actually, I do. Phase 2 housing wasn't implemented because it would take away from the "feel" of T2A, house looting.

It seems to me that even Derrick feels like runebooks take away from the "feel" of T2A, and wishes he had removed them to begin with. The only reason there is lack of support from other people is that they want to be able to use all the runebooks they made. I can understand the sentiment, but since when has "it wouldn't be very convenient" made any difference in the decision making around here?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Hawkins wrote:
Caswallon wrote:I like the way people who dont understand the concept behind the choice of housing system, and the reasons for not using that paticular temporary system that bridges T2A and UO:R lockdown systems, are using it as leverage to force issues in other places. :roll:
Actually, I do. Phase 2 housing wasn't implemented because it would take away from the "feel" of T2A, house looting.

It seems to me that even Derrick feels like runebooks take away from the "feel" of T2A, and wishes he had removed them to begin with. The only reason there is lack of support from other people is that they want to be able to use all the runebooks they made. I can understand the sentiment, but since when has "it wouldn't be very convenient" made any difference in the decision making around here?
Hawkins, i would think (just my opinion) that phase 2 housing was a bridge patch to UOR (and tram). In April of 2000 OSi enforced a 1 house per account policy. I see this as being directly related to that. Along with this i agree that the "feel" of t2a was not having very secure housing.

The big problem for me is everything else in the patch (and i wont list them again). If runebooks arnt the "feel" of t2a then neither can skill locks or having unlimited bank weight.

I have never been a take my ball and home type of person but removing skill locks (and allowing things like wrestle on a dexer or griefers lighting camp fires and watching magery or resist or taming being dropped) would have me seriously thinking about if this game is how i want to spend my entertainment time.

Unlimited bank weight is huge. I wonder how many people remember just how hard it was being new and having to sell boards every couple hundred bc you just had no place to put them otherwise? Same with inggots/leather/etc.

I think alot of people crying for T2A feel forget (or were never there in the first place) just how un-user-friendly and difficult T2A could be on new players.

Hawkins
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hawkins »

I can totally understand Hoots. T2A is a hardcore experience. Like I said, no one is saying that Runebooks can't be like Phase 2 housing, something that is selectively left out. If there was any patch that we can pick and choose what to include and what to remove, this is it. If Phase 2 housing being out doesn't invalidate the entire patch, then Runebooks being out won't invalidate it either.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Agree 100% about runebooks Hawkins. The only reason i push the lockdown thing so hard is, like you say, it would serioulsy damage the "feel" of the place.

Runebooks, tournys, trophys etc, dont care about, if they go they go, if they stay they stay. I fully support whatever Derrick and the staff do with the shard, its by far the most professional server i have played on, including OSI. :lol:

I mean, i want razor resitricted server side, that would sort the men from the boys. :mrgreen:
?

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

gah nitpicking on things that are just convienances and not game breaking is getting rediculous

first bankchecks then cutting cloth, now runebooks
this server will soon be to annoying and inconveinant to play

atleast nowdays we have alternatives and atleast we got into mortalonline beta
i hear some of the old uo devs are on that dev team too, jumpgate evolution looks sweet too