Interesting Patchnote For Explosion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Interesting Patchnote For Explosion

Post by Faust »

hahhahahhahaa, isn't that the most funniest thing ever! hahahahaha.... :roll:

Try to not look so stupid next time, son.

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

I am setting up a windows 98 vmware and installing the demo and trying the memory modifications.

The program I am going to use is called cheat-o-matic, if anyone else is going to try :)

Jack

Post by Jack »

Faust wrote:hahhahahhahaa, isn't that the most funniest thing ever! hahahahaha.... :roll:

Try to not look so stupid next time, son.
what

Faust

Post by Faust »

OSI mostly used integers instead of doubles in their code. A value of 50.1 would have been used as 501 for example. I think Derrick managed to alter the memory for a skill and it crashed the demo shortly after at one point. Batlin and him have a hacked version of the demo with everything pretty much maxed out if I am not mistaken. This would be the best tool for testing purposes. I just have to get it up and running sometime myself...

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick's got a hacked save with many gm skills apparently. I don't know anything really about memory hacking but it's definitely very possible.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

It's a very simple process Hemp...

The demo is a program just like any other running on your cpu. This allows the possibility to load up a memory editor that you can use to alter the stored variables for the demo. The hard part is trying to decipher what variable is the variable that you wish to change the value too. For example, trying to find a pile of 333 gold is a lot easier to find in the stored memory than a pile of 10 gold. The trick for memory alteration is to use values that are out of the norm.

I had really buggy experiences that would crash the server when altering reagents. I managed to modify 6 piles of the 8 known reagents before crashing it to try gaining magery. Gold has been the easiest value to edit with the least possible crashes involving it. The problem with trying to gain magery through the normal means of buying reagents is the common old bug that crashed the game when buying them from mage shops. So it's a situation where you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, etc...

This process was way before we ever had a hacked demo for the use of research though... Memory alteration is kind of obsolete to an extent now that we are able to use this nice piece of work that Batlin worked so hard on with some help from Derrick.

I seriously just need to take the time to sit down and work with the hacked demo version that I have to verify some research. I just find it hard to have any spare time as of lately, sadly.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

@Hiram:
I just looked at "cheat-o-matic" and that program doesn't look usefull at all for serious memory editing.
I suggest you take a look at "TSearch", here's a small tutorial : http://forum.codecall.net/security-tuto ... itors.html

However, there is an important issue with memory editing uodemo.exe. The exe itself is actually two applications merged into one, there is the OSI server code and there is the client code. Both of them maintain their own state of your stats and skills. You will need to edit both of them. The server because that's where the actual skill checking is done, and the client because that's what's on your screen.

BTW, Faust is correct, skills are stored as 16-bit integers (not 32-bit) in memory (in an array). So GM 100 is 1000 in memory. Because it's an array, once you've located one skill you will (should) know the location of the others.

There are two other options:
1) editing the world state file (it's clear text seperated by NULL bytes), if someone wants to write a small tool to update the required, related IDX file you are more than welcome to do so (technical information is available)
2) modify one of the scripts to set your skills at your own desire (I have a working compiler, I just need time to finish it and release it), because the 'official' functions are used, the server will notify the client of any stat/skill changes
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Faust

Post by Faust »

Batlin is a genius as you clearly can see.. I am sure you can understand why I stated earlier that the "hacked" version he created is a much more reliable tool for researching... :wink:

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Faust wrote:This just refers to the damage delay on spells that applied to explosion prior to that patch. Before this patch it took an extra second including the delay that already existed on the explosion spell to dish out the actual damage. For example, when you cast an ebolt it takes a full second before the damage applies. This same effect stacked on top of the original explosion delay creating an extended period that wasn't necessary, thus OSI removed the standard one second damage delay from the explosion spell making it the only other spell to not have one along with harm.
ya what this means is before the patch when the explode animation hit you there was an extrra 1 sec before the damage hit.

thats how i remember it.

this patch made the exp damage hit at the same time as the explode animation.