Suggestion - Make AFK Macroing inside town illegal

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Dagon

Re: Suggestion - Make AFK Macroing inside town illegal

Post by Dagon »

guy. your entire rant on trammel and all that has absolutely nothing to do with macroing, at all. you wasted your time writing it. and honestly i dont care why you dont like OSI anymore.. we aren't on OSI.

You wanted to play UO "the way it was", well this is as close as you'll get, anywhere.. you already know that. There's going to be things that you need to deal with and talk with your psychiatrist about that you don't like about this server.. not everything can be exactly the way it was on so many levels.. you just need to get over it.

You want things the way they were, yet "this is why I suggested the 10 minute murder gump", not era accurate, not gonna happen. Already been pointed out. Get over it. Kill AFK'ers, take the count. End of story. If you killed an AFK macroer on OSI you'd take a count there too, so that's accurate. Deal with it.

Since you want things the way they were, then potion kegs got to be removed, rune books got to be removed, etc, all the debates about the inaccuracies that are currently on the server. But they aren't being removed, they're a done deal, they're staying. Just like macroing.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

"I GHOST MURDERERS, YOU CAN CALL THE GUARDS AS A GHOST"...
8)
I guardwhacked 6 people Thursday.
All they seen was OOOooOOO
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

I have a suggestion: Stop trying to change the shard's policies because you don't like how other people are playing.

"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Dagon wrote:guy. your entire rant on trammel and all that has absolutely nothing to do with macroing, at all. you wasted your time writing it. and honestly I dont care why you dont like OSI anymore.. we aren't on OSI.
I don't think you quite understood his point. I think he was stating 2 things

1) OSI made the mistake of making the game too easy and compromising it's original concept for a bigger playerbase by babying their players and also removing the risk associated with classic play.

Players are "trammelizing" themselves by building more and more detailed scripts in razor to automate game play, and they use tacics such as ghosting to protect themselves and remove the risk. They have a pvp macro, a resource gathering macro, they did anything they can to remove the risk intended with game play and to exploit the system for their own gain.

Macroing and AFK Macroing regardless of how enforced it was, was illegal. Just stating that policy was good enough to let some people see it and not do it.

2)We don't have skill balls on this server. But players are able to AFK macro for a week or so to GM. That's nothing more and a Skill ball with a short waiting period

We don't need a trammel or skillballs. The players indirectly finding ways for that themselves.
Dagon wrote:You want things the way they were, yet "this is why I suggested the 10 minute murder gump", not era accurate, not gonna happen. Already been pointed out. Get over it. Kill AFK'ers, take the count. End of story. If you killed an AFK macroer on OSI you'd take a count there too, so that's accurate. Deal with it.
I agree with the point that we shouldn't have to implement new mechanics. There were old mechanics in place, backed with policy, to monitor and preserve gameplay. Here it's not implemented.

Derrick wants to stay out of direct interaction and the policing of players as much as possible, and leave the players to police themselves. This is a very ideal and has good intentions, but one fact still remains.

When left to their own devices, many players will abuse and exploit the system to suit their own desire, and not give a damn about anyone else or the way it used to be. OSI Had policy for this, and that's why we should have enforceable policy to back it up, too. Without policy, the community run itself into the ground.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Its nice to know that there are still some players out there who are smart enough to see the big picture. Automating things on this shard by macroing everything doesn't do ANYTHING positive for the game....I am not suggesting that macroing become illegal, I am merely suggesting that macroing with guards protecting you be illegal.

That way players like myself who deem AFK macroing as cheating (whether it is or not on this server) can do something about this wide-spread, anti-social, shard destroying behavior.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

sirrayiv wrote:That way players like myself who deem AFK macroing as cheating (whether it is or not on this server) can do something about this
You can, and you can take a count for it. Doing so you ARE a PK, so live with the results of your actions. /End

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

I agree. Player killing is player killing, despite what your cause is.
If you decide to kill another player, you should commit yourself to the consequences of that count to your character.

Besides, there are other ways to screw up certain players' afk macros in-town without killing them.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

fatmagic

Post by fatmagic »

Just my 2 copper pieces --- and I know this will be ignored --- but if it wasn't for macroing AFK, I would not play this shard AT ALL. I don't have the time in my busy life to work on skills for hours on end. I get maybe 1 to 2 hours a night (and maybe only play 3 or 4 nights a week) to play, and I don't want to spend it just working on skills. I want to have some fun too. I would just stop playing UO for good if macroing was outlawed. It was this shard that brought me back to UO after not playing for 8+ years.

And I'm not sure what the problem is honestly - because about every other night, I get up in the morning before maintenance and find my character dead from an "anti-AFK-macroer-PK". And this is AT THE WEST BRITAIN BANK no less. So no place is safe to macro on this shard! And i'm OK with the risk involved. It's part of the era.

BUT I am completely agreeable with slowing down gains in guarded areas when there are multiple people macroing the same skill. That's fine by me!

p.s. On a completely unrelated note (lol), how does someone go about PKing me at the Brit Bank? Just hoping to kill me in the first hit, and succeeding?

Faust

Post by Faust »

fatmagic wrote: p.s. On a completely unrelated note (lol), how does someone go about PKing me at the Brit Bank? Just hoping to kill me in the first hit, and succeeding?
Poison or purple potions.

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

I think macroing in guard zone is fine as long as they are not putting text in the macro. It looks good to have players standing around at Brit bank when a new player logs on.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Well i agree to a point, but it quickly stops looking good when they are all unresponsive. You might as well have strangely named NPCs sitting at the bank.

Krats

Post by Krats »

I say we all take it into our own hands, Chumbucket style
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

fatmagic wrote:Just my 2 copper pieces --- and I know this will be ignored --- but if it wasn't for macroing AFK, I would not play this shard AT ALL. I don't have the time in my busy life to work on skills for hours on end. I get maybe 1 to 2 hours a night (and maybe only play 3 or 4 nights a week) to play, and I don't want to spend it just working on skills. I want to have some fun too. I would just stop playing UO for good if macroing was outlawed. It was this shard that brought me back to UO after not playing for 8+ years.

And I'm not sure what the problem is honestly - because about every other night, I get up in the morning before maintenance and find my character dead from an "anti-AFK-macroer-PK". And this is AT THE WEST BRITAIN BANK no less. So no place is safe to macro on this shard! And i'm OK with the risk involved. It's part of the era.

BUT I am completely agreeable with slowing down gains in guarded areas when there are multiple people macroing the same skill. That's fine by me!

p.s. On a completely unrelated note (lol), how does someone go about PKing me at the Brit Bank? Just hoping to kill me in the first hit, and succeeding?
+1 to this. For some of us, RL is busy and demands priority over the game. I think it's very cool that I am able to set up a macro that will raise my character's stats so that I can better explore the game when I have time. I get TK'ed all the time, sometimes the murder gump doesn't show up, so somehow TKers are circumventing the murder gump. I guess this is the policing that some are advocating? Getting killed during AFK macroing is fine by me, too. If I have to suffer a little grief to build my characters and still be able to spend the majority of my time grinding and building skill in real life, so be it. A small sacrifice.

Look at it this way, the faster I get my PvM char to the point that I am able to hunt and loot monsters, the quicker I will become a lucrative target for all of you reds. It's really win-win situation.

Pretty sure no one here has worked their skills 100% organically, so I don't see the big concern, especially since a shard full of developed characters makes things more interesting anyway.

I can see adjusting CERTAIN skill gain rates within town limits, though, too; although my Blacksmith character should not be nerfed because he works inside the town limits, for example. Of course, nerfing gains invites the scrutiny of era accuracy. So does the fact that macroing unattended was against OSI policy. I was jailed twice for it back in era, because when I was working in RL and since I knew how to jam a pen cap into the side of my F1 key, I did it, and suffered the consequences for it. Risk vs. reward. TKers dole out their own brand of punishment in that when you TK my character, I may lose hours of skill build time because I am taking care of what matters to me most: life.

We should probably just call it even. Perhaps TKing and AFK macroing are necessary evils. I dunno. I do know that this server is awesome all-around. And if you TK me, it just reminds me of how much I enjoy the weird idiosyncrasies that arise in this game.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Ulor wrote:
fatmagic wrote:I don't have the time in my busy life to work on skills for hours on end. I get maybe 1 to 2 hours a night (and maybe only play 3 or 4 nights a week) to play, and I don't want to spend it just working on skills. I want to have some fun too.
+1 to this. For some of us, RL is busy and demands priority over the game. I think it's very cool that I am able to set up a macro that will raise my character's stats so that I can better explore the game when I have time.
So, according to those 2 posts, you guys think that UO game play is worthless unless you are GM and there's no legitimate gameplay?

Sorry. "I don't have time in my busy life" is not an excuse. You should be able to enjoy the gameplay of UO starting from the moment your character spawns. Just because you GMed some skills on an alt or on OSI, It doesn't entitle you you to be exempt from that on other characters.

And don't say no one here has organically raised their skill, because I have. And I know that I'm not the only one. If you're too lazy or elitist to enjoy game play before 7x GM then that's your problem. You might as well move to another shard where they give out skill balls.

T2A should be about working for your skills.

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Duke Jones wrote:
So, according to those 2 posts, you guys think that UO game play is worthless unless you are GM and there's no legitimate gameplay?

Sorry. "I don't have time in my busy life" is not an excuse. You should be able to enjoy the gameplay of UO starting from the moment your character spawns. Just because you GMed some skills on an alt or on OSI, It doesn't entitle you you to be exempt from that on other characters.

And don't say no one here has organically raised their skill, because I have. And I know that I'm not the only one. If you're too lazy or elitist to enjoy game play before 7x GM then that's your problem. You might as well move to another shard where they give out skill balls.

T2A should be about working for your skills.
In the war of +1s, i support this. You are forgetting the fun that you originally had raising skills "organically". I know I have a few "non-macro" characters, it just makes the game more fun and less of a burnout.