Proposed Rules Changes to AFK Macroing

Topics related to Second Age

Proposed Rules Changes to AFK Macroing

(1.) There shall be no AFK Macroing that involves ANY type of Movement.
16%
(2.) There shall be no AFK Macroing that involves ANY type of Movement -OR- ANY Transfer of ANY Items/Resources.
5%
(3.) There shall be no AFK Macroing that involves ANY type of Movement -OR- ANY Transfer of ANY Items/Resources unless ALL AFK actions are done within a Character's Home.
18%
(4.) There shall be no AFK Macroing that involves ANY Transfer of ANY Items/Resources unless ALL AFK actions are done within a Character's Home.
3%
(5.) There shall be no AFK Macroing that involves ANY Transfer of ANY Items/Resources.
3%
(6.) Other: Posted Below.
No votes
(7.) No Changes Needed.
55%

Total votes: 38

Elph

Re: Proposed Rules Changes to AFK Macroing

Post by Elph »

I've seen plenty of your responses that have only expanded discussion. What would you be saying that would halt it?

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Elph wrote:I've seen plenty of your responses that have only expanded discussion. What would you be saying that would halt it?
I think he just means people have a natural tendency, conscious or not, to regard staff comments as somehow settling things even when nothing in the comments themselves indicates that, and he would like to avoid that here.

Elph

Post by Elph »

Well, to me it sounds like he would be implying that a rule like these would not be implemented, and just doesn't want to say so, lest discussion end. I mean, if there really will be nothing done, then why encourage discussion? Just sortof, well, be honest, that we don't want people quitting for whatever reason related to limiting AFK macros that allow movement or resource transfer.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I've been pretty explicit that these types of rules wouldn't be implemented if for no other reason than the fact that they can't be enforced. There's no ruse here as a method of protecting the population count.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Kaivan wrote:I've been pretty explicit that these types of rules wouldn't be implemented if for no other reason than the fact that they can't be enforced. There's no ruse here as a method of protecting the population count.
But it just wouldn't be the UOSA forums with random accusations of sinister machinations by the staff! Here are just a few of the things I have heard in the past week:

1. Derrick is dead. Maahes killed him and took over about two years ago with the aim of implementing neon thong underwear.

2. Kaivan and Braden are conducting a torrid online affair but neither knows that the other is in fact a woman. Neither hides that fact from the other, but each thinks the other is only pretending.

3. Nevermore has, once again, stolen Hemperor's accounts and is impersonating him for reasons will we all one day regret knowing.

4. GuardianKnight will give 10k gold to any new player who PMs him and asks nicely between now and Christmas Day. He is a really good guy.

Elph

Post by Elph »

Kaivan wrote:I've been pretty explicit that these types of rules wouldn't be implemented if for no other reason than the fact that they can't be enforced. There's no ruse here as a method of protecting the population count.
Good. Honesty.

Can any rule be enforced completely? AFK resource macroing is only enforceable if there are staff members online to look. This can easily be checked by running a help page through and seeing if there are any (assuming there's no hidden mode just to prevent this).

I'm assuming you don't want to add rules that aren't enforceable, just for the mere fact that it will lessen the seriousness other rules are followed with. I would consider this a pretty solid argument, however, there are plenty of trackable figures one could use to enforce any of the incarnation of the rules suggested, for instance, the number of buy/sells to NPC's. Tracking them would be at the very least just as effective as tracking resource gathering, and honestly, it would not take any serious server load to do so, as I would imagine the number of buy/sells on the server on any given day is much, much lower than the amount of resources produced.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elph wrote:
Good. Honesty.

Can any rule be enforced completely? AFK resource macroing is only enforceable if there are staff members online to look. This can easily be checked by running a help page through and seeing if there are any (assuming there's no hidden mode just to prevent this).

I'm assuming you don't want to add rules that aren't enforceable, just for the mere fact that it will lessen the seriousness other rules are followed with. I would consider this a pretty solid argument, however, there are plenty of trackable figures one could use to enforce any of the incarnation of the rules suggested, for instance, the number of buy/sells to NPC's. Tracking them would be at the very least just as effective as tracking resource gathering, and honestly, it would not take any serious server load to do so, as I would imagine the number of buy/sells on the server on any given day is much, much lower than the amount of resources produced.
The major factor is ensuring that we don't create rules that can't be enforced, mainly because it is tantamount to an idle threat and a method of forcing certain game play through coercion. Also the non-enforceability of a rule makes it useless to have it.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If you added no-afk-macroing now, you would have to wipe the shard for it to be a reasonable implimentation. Not that I am against it. Many people will whine though, because they don't enjoy (or know how to enjoy) "playing" uo, rather, they play to collect neon baubles.