Forensic Eval and Perma Grey

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Eaglestaff

Re: Forensic Eval and Perma Grey

Post by Eaglestaff »

Derrick wrote:
Eaglestaff wrote:From what i could at the time i was testing this and making this thread perma grey isn't working. meaning that if you attack or steal form a thief that just got done stealing from a blue you can be guard whacked.
How did you test this?

I havent tested this since my first post

I tested it by using my own thief and my own blue

I stole from my blue using my thief

then attacked my thief with my blue

then I whacked my blue by calling guards with my thief

then I concluded that perma grey isn't working otherwise my blues attack on my thief would not have been a crime.

This conclusion is based on my understanding that perma grey applies no matter what if a thief steals from a blue and its not based on any success roll.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Eaglestaff wrote:
Derrick wrote:
Eaglestaff wrote:From what i could at the time i was testing this and making this thread perma grey isn't working. meaning that if you attack or steal form a thief that just got done stealing from a blue you can be guard whacked.
How did you test this?

I havent tested this since my first post

I tested it by using my own thief and my own blue

I stole from my blue using my thief

then attacked my thief with my blue

then I whacked my blue by calling guards with my thief

then I concluded that perma grey isn't working otherwise my blues attack on my thief would not have been a crime.

This conclusion is based on my understanding that perma grey applies no matter what if a thief steals from a blue and its not based on any success roll.
If the thief is blue to you you cannot attack him. A thief is perma grey all the time actually...except for in town.

You can kill a thief anytime you see one anywhere without fear of having a count on you except when he is under the protection of the town guards.

But a thief is only attackable in town if he is not completely successful in stealing from you unaware. Using Forensic Evaluation pretty much targets anyone or sees through their disguise so you can rest assured in killing that person you are acting in the best interest of the law...as long as you do it outside of town so the citizens of Britannia do not see your vigilance.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Thanks for clearing that up for me arch. Tho now im unsure as to what the function of perma grey is and how it affects flagging any differently than the guild does.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You are always perma grey except in town as a Thieves Guild member. You appear blue though until you are caught in commiting a criminal activity. But being permanently grey outside of town even when you appear blue you can be attacked on a whim, as you cannot report the murder to the authorities being you are a criminal.

In town you are blue until you commit a crime as the guards are neutral until you break the laws of local government as they are there to keep the peace and maintain order.

If completely successful you cannot be attacked in town as you would be under the protection of the guards. So realistically even though the player knows you stole something he could do nothing about it as his character did not.

If you plan on leaving town make sure you make use of your disguise kit. You are permanently grey though you may not appear that way to others. Some people make alternate characters with the same name but without theiving skills just to throw people off.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Taken from the other thread regarding defending yourself as a theif or not:
UOSS wrote: wrote: Perma-Grey Flag:

How you get one
Stealing from an innocent. NPC or player.
What are the symptoms?
You appear grey only to the innocents you have stolen from.
You appear blue to everyone else.
Anyone can freely attack or steal from you with impunity.

Anyone attacking you does receive an aggressor flag to you.
Things you should know

Simply being in the Thieves Guild does not give you a Perma-grey flag. But since most thieves join the Thieves Guild with the intention of stealing from innocents, they become Perma-grey pretty soon.

If someone attacks you, you will highlight grey to them (after you get hit, or move 1 square) letting them know you're a perma-grey. Anyone can steal from you. Even if they are not a member of the thieves guild. This can be useful for training purposes, but it can also be annoying at the bank.

If you are a member of the NPC Thieve's Guild, any player who successfully uses the Forensic Evaluation skill to reveal your membership in said guild may either attack or steal from you. If a player attacks you and that player dies and reports you for murder, you will be suspended from the thieves guild for the amount of time it takes for the short murder count (8 hours) to decay. While suspended you still cannot give murder counts, but cannot use the disguise kit or steal from innocents.
How I remember + what I take away from this:

A theif becomes perma grey after a successful steal from a bluebie (checkmark next to my memory checklist)
A theif remains grey to anyone he has stolen from before, hence "perma grey". No one else can attack this blue theif in town yet he also can't give a count if he dies out of town.
A Detective using Forensic Evaluation (which I believe checks stealing vs Forensic Eval skill) if successful then sees the theif for the "perma grey" he is (just like the innocents the theif has stolen from) and the theif should then become freely attackable, in or out of town, by the detective.

Everyone else on screen that saw this theif as a bluebie still sees him as a bluebie, forensic eval is only useful for the actual detective.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There has been a lot of discussion on whether the forensic eval skill turned a perma grey thief grey to the Detective, and it's never been determined if this was the case or not.

Most memories however do correspond with yours. This may be an issue we have to make a best guess on.

Everything else should be working as you described.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."