Strong Boxes

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Enable Strong Boxes

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 46

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Strong Boxes

Post by Kraarug »

Kaivan wrote:The problem with having the older lock down system and co-owners is that each system is mutually exclusive. I've kept quiet on this particular issue because I wanted Derrick to speak on it first, but the reality is that co-owners aren't accurate to the system we currently have for housing. In order for us to remain accurate, it will be necessary to remove co-owners. As a direct result, house security and the relationship that characters have with other houses owned by other characters on their account changes significantly as well.
I believe that having the older housing system would be a significant step backwards and cause many more issues and weeks, if not months, of complaints and bug fix chasing.

Since so much of what we have is really the 1999 system and for other patches 2000 is the cut off, why not just make it the cut off for housing too and carrying everything forward to COB Phase II.

It 'mix and match' sub era but accurate systems will cause a lot of head aches and lead to what deterroriates other shards.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Completely aside from my feelings on keeping houses lootable...

You guys do realise that electing to take the "everything is locked down" house rules, also instates item decay in your home? Additionally, during this wretched period of housing, you could not lock down any item that was newbiefied, as they all (even pheonix armor ect.) decayed at a more rapid rate. During this time people used death robes to alter item-height when decorating because they decayed in a matter of seconds. You also effectly limit your possible storage, this is the biggest setback I see to everyone (not jus those with my particular playstyle). Many people have no place to put all of the whatever-they-have in their house should the system switch over.

This housing change was not made to better secure houses, it was cleverly implimented to reduce the total number of items in the ever-clogging server. There is a reason they called it Clean-Up-Brittania. Under the guise "We just gave you more lock downs!" they actually reduced your total storage to prevent hording. CUB was implimented to reduce server lag because at the time subscriptions were increasing faster than their financial ability to scale the servers.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

On a personal note, I agree with Matron's post above 100%. This was widely regarded as a horrible housing change, although it certainly would cut down on server items substancally, I believe that a big part of the T2A experiance is hordeing gobs of useless stuff. Our houseing system with the exception of co-owners and trash barrel mechanics (which is still slated to be fixed) is accurate to pre-Nov '99 and represents the majority of the "prime" t2a era.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Wait, remember that COB Phase II was the preparatory phase for Phase III so, you DID NOT have to have things locked down.

It was the twilight period.

Items didn't decay yet until Jan 2000 so, if you didn't want to lock them down, it was totally up to you.

So, what I'm suggesting is that we stay in this twilight period.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Completely aside from my feelings on keeping houses lootable...

You guys do realise that electing to take the "everything is locked down" house rules, also instates item decay in your home?
That's not correct.

Please look at my thread about 1999 housing.... item decay did not come into effect until January 2000 with Phase III. Phase II, which was between November 1999 and Janurary 2000 gave you the best of both and all systems.

You did not, and I repeat, DID NOT have to lock everything down during this period. You had the ability to do so, but you were not required until Phase III came.

I personally HATED phase III but phase II was certainly the best of all housing systems.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Kraarug wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:Completely aside from my feelings on keeping houses lootable...

You guys do realise that electing to take the "everything is locked down" house rules, also instates item decay in your home?
That's not correct.

Please look at my thread about 1999 housing.... item decay did not come into effect until January 2000 with Phase III. Phase II, which was between November 1999 and Janurary 2000 gave you the best of both and all systems.

You did not, and I repeat, DID NOT have to lock everything down during this period. You had the ability to do so, but you were not required until Phase III came.

I personally HATED phase III but phase II was certainly the best of all housing systems.
It seems like the reason there was a delay in adding the item decay was to give people a chance over that two month period to lock things down and take care of any loose items in their house. Its obvious that the intention was to implement item decay as stated in the 11/24/1999 patch notes that state anything not locked down will decay (even though the actual item decay didn't start until January).

Having these phase II lockdowns without the phase III item decay is like adding in a partial housing system. If its decided that the shard should switch to the '99 housing system, then item decay on boats and houses should also be implemented, as that was the original intention.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

if items decay in houses all my house decos are wiped :<
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Silverfoot wrote:
Kraarug wrote:

That's not correct.

It seems like the reason there was a delay in adding the item decay was to give people a chance over that two month period to lock things down and take care of any loose items in their house. Its obvious that the intention was to implement item decay as stated in the 11/24/1999 patch notes that state anything not locked down will decay (even though the actual item decay didn't start until January).

Having these phase II lockdowns without the phase III item decay is like adding in a partial housing system. If its decided that the shard should switch to the '99 housing system, then item decay on boats and houses should also be implemented, as that was the original intention.
The latter part of T2A, from May 1999 on, really was a partial system as a whole.

The decision was already made to start developing UO:R and what we got from May 1999 on was what they nearly had finished for T2A, things they absolutly had to fix, and things to prep for UO:R so, in truth, Phase II COB is about as T2A as you can get.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

How is it "as t2a as you can get" if it only lasted two months? The housing system we have now lasted for over a year during t2a except for a couple minor inconsistancies, such as the co-owner status. The stuff added earlier in the year was minor compared to the big housing changes made through CUB. Its obvious phase III should also be implemented here if this housing system is chosen, even if its the same way OSI did it, turning on the item decay a couple months after the lockdown system is added.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Silverfoot wrote:How is it "as t2a as you can get"
In the comparison that the latter part of T2A (May 1999 on) was just a combination of easily completed projects for T2A and UO:R prep.

The other point of my post and suggestion is that if we have patches and fixes from 11/1999 on for other systems, to be truly accurate for 1999 we should have all the 1999 systems including Phase II.

Suggesting that if we have Phase II we must have Phase III is just a poison pill.

First of all, Phase III was 2000 and secondly, it was the worst idea ever in terms of housing.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Kraarug wrote:
Silverfoot wrote:How is it "as t2a as you can get" if it only lasted two months?
In the comparison that the latter part of T2A (May 1999 on) was just a combination of easily completed projects for T2A and UO:R prep.

The other point of my post and suggestion is that if we have patches and fixes from 11/1999 on for other systems, to be truly accurate for 1999 we should have all the 1999 systems including Phase II.

Suggesting that if we have Phase II we must have Phase III is just a poison pill.

First of all, Phase III was 2000 and secondly, it was the worst idea ever in terms of housing.
Phase II lasted two months and was obviously meant to be followed by Phase III. It wasn't meant to be implemented and just sit there for years with no item decay, Phase II needs the item decay from Phase III. The question of the "cutoff" date for this shard does not take into account the fact that it might be cutting a system in half that was meant to be whole.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Silverfoot wrote:
Kraarug wrote:
Silverfoot wrote:How is it "as t2a as you can get" if it only lasted two months?

Phase II lasted two months and was obviously meant to be followed by Phase III. It wasn't meant to be implemented and just sit there for years with no item decay, Phase II needs the item decay from Phase III. The question of the "cutoff" date for this shard does not take into account the fact that it might be cutting a system in half that was meant to be whole.
Well, lets start to look at the 1/2 developed systems that exsited for months and even years in UO:

Necromancy... They put the reagents in years before they ever came up with something. I felt pretty stupid collecting dead wood and fertile dirt.

Weapon Special Damage Types that were never fully developed..

There are a few more.

The fact is that T2A peaked right around the time of Phase II COB. We had the Trinisc invasions and many known bugs were fixed.

The changes in January 2000 was just the start that killed off T2A including the removal of pre-casting. So, if one was to look at an accurate golden age of T2A, then the period and patches that included Phase II COB would be it.

Anything else, which would include the late 1999 fixes and not Phase II COB is just mix and match and doens't replicate the real OSI experience as it was.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Why are you comparing it to Necromancy and Special Weapon Types? The housing system was fully developed and should be fully implemented. :S