Interruption.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Interruption.

Post by Kraarug »

Arkon wrote:Haven't done much pvp on this shard.. yet, but as a predominantly medi/eval dexxer from 97 - 2002 I will say no mage stood toe to toe with me and was able to cast anything above first circle spells. Whether I was using a kryss, a dagger, a katana, etc, it just didn't happen. Mages would run, LoS, hide, or just teleport forcing you to re-attack while they ghealed or readied hard-hitting spells like explosion or ebolt.

That said, if mages are able to do so here, and easily, then it's inaccurate. Things like experience and advent of programs like Razor really don't play into it when talking about spell disruption.
Arkon,

You'd be surprised because that is the case here and it use to be worse. A macer could litterally ruin qstaves whacking and whacking a mage and never drop them as they could cast through most anything.

Honestly, it's not much better now, although it is possible to drop a mage.

However, you have to have the perfect situation to drop a mage on the shard and need to rely on a mistakes on their part as well as a lucky string of hits and favorable interruptions. Simply put, a mage needs to be over confident or inept to be dropped by a dexxer and that's not T2A accurate.

(And just think, for weeks we had a bug where 25 stamina was just as effective as 100 stamina... funny that no one complained)

About what you describe, the fact that mages had to keep distance between themselves and a dexxer is something I've said a few times and even provided a JoV PvP guide that supports that fact. Nice to hear it from someone else. Thank you. I guess the beers, years and younger women didn't affect my memory too bad :D.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kraarug you are over exaggerate spell interruption significantly.

My spells get interrupted anywhere from 90-95 percent of the time when getting hit by a weapon from either a dexer or tank mage...

I'm kind getting fed up with all this exaggeration involving spell interruption and think it's time to generate a data table to produce the percentage based data for several different spell interruption scenarios. The people that continues to use this as an excuse makes it sound like it happens the majority of the time and it's starting to get very annoying.

PS
I distictly paid attention to my disrupt ratio during a duel last night that last about one to two minutes surrounding wrestling. There were a total of FIVE interruptions from wrestling, which is a significant number for a duel that short... When people say wrestling doesn't disrupt or disrupt often it's simply a flat out lie.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I am a fan of data and testing.

That's how I discovered the issue that had 25 stamina players hitting nearly as frequently, if not exactly the same, as 100 stamina players.

I felt something was off and tested it out.

Originally I thought that perhaps parry wasn't working correctly or that maybe certain weapons were off but the data and testing lead to the real issue.

The issue here now is that UOSA mechanics and balance if off between warriors and mages and is not representative of 1999 OSI. I think interruption is the main issue.

This should be a simple explanation to illustrate the issue:

Code: Select all

Dexer depend on weapon strikes for offense.

Tank mages, depend primarily on magery.

A tank mage, with GM wrestling is protected from 50% of the offensive blows of a dexer.

HOWEVER, a dexer is NOT protected by the same percentage from magery strikes.

Why?

Because of the factoring in of a ‘resistance’ to interruption by using damage and magery.

So, while a dexer only gets in 50% of their strikes, a mage gets a larger percentage of their spells to land.
That’s where the imbalance lays.

I don’t know the actual data yet, so I’m looking forward to what you present.

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Arkon »

Maybe get two people together, from opposing sides of the fence and test? Dexxer with a dagger vs mage chain casting a spell such as gheal, and after a sufficient amount of testing you should be able to come out with pretty conclusive results.
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."

Faust

Post by Faust »

I will create a small code portion that will generate several interruptions based on preconditions that will produce results on a massive scale to extract precise data variables for spell interruption. For example, an energy bolt that is so commonly ranted on by "never interrupting" from a vast majority here will be used in this test code. I will replicate and generate all values to a lot into a percentage of let's say a million ebolts to grab an interruption percentage basis... The same will be done for several other situations such as popular weapons and other spells too. If there is time it will also be done through specific damage values from each scenario too. I will collect all the data and present it when the project is finished.

Freeza

Post by Freeza »

Faust wrote:I will create a small code portion that will generate several interruptions based on preconditions that will produce results on a massive scale to extract precise data variables for spell interruption. For example, an energy bolt that is so commonly ranted on by "never interrupting" from a vast majority here will be used in this test code. I will replicate and generate all values to a lot into a percentage of let's say a million ebolts to grab an interruption percentage basis... The same will be done for several other situations such as popular weapons and other spells too. If there is time it will also be done through specific damage values from each scenario too. I will collect all the data and present it when the project is finished.
thank you for putting the effort into testing this =). You could of easily just ignored the topic and said screw it, thanks again for your help.
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Faust we dont care about spell interruptions, we care about weapon hits.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

this is purely from memory and not hearing it b4 coming here but

ive never heard of weapons not disturbing when they hit

ive also never remeber seeing it on osi in any era

do you have any patch notes or stratics archives to back up them not disturbing everytime?

i remeber alot of times having to completely flee from dp fencers if they were getting a decent hit percentage.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Arkon wrote:Maybe get two people together, from opposing sides of the fence and test? Dexxer with a dagger vs mage chain casting a spell such as gheal, and after a sufficient amount of testing you should be able to come out with pretty conclusive results.
If any two people who have OSI (EA) accounts could go test wrestling interruption vs 4th circle spells there I'd really appreciate hearing the results.

I know with defensive wrestling and all that this may not apply, but can a character we configured in such a way that the old rules would shine though?

Senses

Post by Senses »

"I think so much of this problem would be solved if Derrick, Kaivan, and Faust would simply roll up a couple of GM dexxers, then go out anonmously on the server and engage in some actual PvP. I'm not talking test center. I'm saying go out amongst your players and see what we see. This is not some vague generality or misunderstanding, its very clear and understood from anyone who has actually spent time chasing a Tank Mage in circles."

I wrote this a couple months ago, and it still applies. I'm glad Faust has finally decided to stop digging through patch notes and actually roll a dexxer.

Tron

Post by Tron »

100% weapon interrupt is the only way I remember osi from any era.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Faust

Post by Faust »

Senses wrote:"I think so much of this problem would be solved if Derrick, Kaivan, and Faust would simply roll up a couple of GM dexxers, then go out anonmously on the server and engage in some actual PvP. I'm not talking test center. I'm saying go out amongst your players and see what we see. This is not some vague generality or misunderstanding, its very clear and understood from anyone who has actually spent time chasing a Tank Mage in circles."

I wrote this a couple months ago, and it still applies. I'm glad Faust has finally decided to stop digging through patch notes and actually roll a dexxer.
I have 7x dexer and the same results that happened on OSI occurred.

Your opponent runs and heals... A tank mage can't beat me without ganking.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick wrote:
Arkon wrote:Maybe get two people together, from opposing sides of the fence and test? Dexxer with a dagger vs mage chain casting a spell such as gheal, and after a sufficient amount of testing you should be able to come out with pretty conclusive results.
If any two people who have OSI (EA) accounts could go test wrestling interruption vs 4th circle spells there I'd really appreciate hearing the results.

I know with defensive wrestling and all that this may not apply, but can a character we configured in such a way that the old rules would shine though?
I had a long talk with Kaivan the other day after first reading this post in regard to testing interruptions on modern UO shards. He told me that he had already performed some tests and said it wasn't possible to verify one way or the other since the damage values in modern UO are so high. He happened to mention that even with his standard full gear that a the lowest hitting NPC could still hit for 8+ damage.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

i dont see why its in question surely anyone who played this era on osi would know if anyone remebers weapons or wrestl not always disturbing on hit please post

Faust

Post by Faust »

There were many cases stretched far and thin where a spell that I was casting wasn't interrupted for me when it clearly should have been back then. I always shrugged it off assuming it was a lag factor or the damage delay on spells. I can't be entirely certain if this was pre-t2a or t2a but it was one of the two. I am pretty confident that it was both though. Only a nobody of the game back then would think that spells had a constant disrupt basis allowing spells to be chain casted over and over like MA or FB. I have a good feeling that the majority of these people didn't even have more than 60 resist unlike my 7x character.