Increasing attack last throttle delay

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Increasing attack last throttle delay

Post by Faust »

Sorry that has already been proven to be incorrect. That is how the mechanic works in the RunUO code, but that portion of the code is inaccurate to this particular era.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Eulogy wrote:Can anyone answer me this?

When Attacklast came into the UO client as a macro, when you were attacked beyond the first time were you forced to auto defend?

Someone please answer?

Because it would make sense to me that the reason AttackLast wasn't a big deal is because auto defend was only in effect the first time someone attacked you, therefore making it a non-tactic.
nope thats not true

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Which part isn't true?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Your description of auto defend isn't true...

Auto defend would always occur if you tabbed out of combat. This was verified through the UO Demo, the second edition t2a user guide that describes the function, post t2a articles, and so on. There are several sources that backs this argument up unlike the opposite side of that argument.

If auto defend worked in this fashion a hally would be hitting at the same speed as a katana without any counter measure against the tactic... This has been mentioned well over a dozen times in the past here.

Jiggo states this best in a previous post in another thread.
Jiggo wrote:Probably the best thing about this server is the auto defend. T2A style pvp is extremely chance based without it. Its extremely easy to kill someone without it, and the addition of it prevents alot of lucky kills from dumb combos and high damage. Having auto defend is necessary for the era, and without it, it is simply not "the way it was".
If you remove auto defend when someone tabs out someone can simply unequip their hally triggering the disarm delay that adjusts your swing delay to a wrestling delay making you be able to swing a hally every 2 seconds. Your opponent would not be able to force you to go back into combat to waste the swing by making you wrestle giving an absolutely full control over this old tactic unlike it was during the era.

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

I wasn't stating a case to remove auto defend.
I'm just suprised that I didn't ever use attack last via a uo macro when it came out.

Jiggo

Post by Jiggo »

Eulogy wrote:I wasn't stating a case to remove auto defend.
I'm just suprised that I didn't ever use attack last via a uo macro when it came out.
There are alot of things that were not used in the past that were available. We are all much better players now, with much more experience. Remember when something like a defensive weaken was a pro maneuver?

Even as recently as Novus Opiate POL (which was probably the closest clone aside from this shard in maybe 2002, 2003?), people did not use attack last for the purposes of auto defend, even though it was functional. Most people just complained that in group fights, a new attacker made you switch targets, not realizing the potential for instahit stealing.

Edit: I actually remember charging people clicking their bar as fast as I could as a defensive measure, not realizing a simple attack last macro would accomplish the same thing. Obviously, clicking their bar would not be as effective, nor have as wide a use, as you would not be able to do this while having a spell up.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Jiggo wrote: Most people just complained that in group fights, a new attacker made you switch targets, not realizing the potential for instahit stealing.
That is absolutely not true. Never was there a problem with switching targets to who was double clicking you at the time. If this is the case, what is to stop three dexxers from constantly spamming Attack Last and you not being able to direct who you are hitting at any time?

Jiggo

Post by Jiggo »

Scythe wrote:
Jiggo wrote: Most people just complained that in group fights, a new attacker made you switch targets, not realizing the potential for instahit stealing.
That is absolutely not true. Never was there a problem with switching targets to who was double clicking you at the time. If this is the case, what is to stop three dexxers from constantly spamming Attack Last and you not being able to direct who you are hitting at any time?
Nothing, and that is the whole reason for peoples complaints. If you notice currently, a dexer spamming attack last on you will keep you targetted to him, and this is the entire basis for autodefend. It does indeed make group fights get sloppy. If you are 2v2ing a friend is about to receive a kill shot from an enemy halberd, attack last the enemy to make him switch targets to you, giving your friend momentary relief until he is targeted again.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Scythe,

Players only auto defend when aggressed if they do not have a highlighted combatant.