Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by Caswallon »

Chain Tunic 1000/20=50-(20%F)=40*113=4520= 4.5k per 1k ingots

Katana 1000/8=125-(20%F)=100*28=2800= 2.8k per 1k iron ingots

The following table applys to general usuage and return via smelting any items, not katanas, or chain tunics, or anything else, this is a general numbers guide for overall smith/failure/smelt rates.

Ingots Failures Remaining Smelt Total
1000 - (20%) = 800 - (30%) = 550
550 - (20%) = 440 - (30%) = 300
300 - (20%) = 240 - (30%) = 150
150 - (20%) = 120 - (30%) = 80
80 - (20%) = 64 - (30%) = 40*

*I stop here as further number crunching is rather pointless as we get down to 0 ingots.

Total ingots gained from the initial 1000 after smelting/smithing until ingots remaining 0 = 1120.

1120 x 6 = 6720.

Thats almost 50% more value from my 1000 vs your 1000. Which ever way you swing this your wrong, resmelting is faster, more efficent, and cheaper. Go on dispute it.

Im basing this of a skill of around 70. I have rounded down or up slighty on my ingot totals to keep it simple but there is really little in it and it evens its self out over all, if you really want round it down to 1000, makes no difference overall. But again i have worked all your tunic prices at exception items, which would actually be maybe 60% of them by the time you switch to gorgets at 85, so you have it tipped very well in your favour in these calculations. Exceptionals do not effect the smelt table as they do not return any more or less ingots, only more or less resale value.

Chain tunic takes less skill, gains will be less, ingot use more. Also 20 ingots vs 6/8. Taking items to and from town, securing more ingots. All of the above adds unnecesary downtime.

If there is one thing I know in UO, its smithing, my main in era was a smith, im a GM smith here, and on other free shards. I used the process you are advising to GM on Europa, yes I made some money, but it was slow, and it was long. This is the era of multi clienting, power gaming, razor macroing. People want the fastest, most efficent, cheapest way of doing things. The selling way is none of these, but go ahead, continue to argue because you just have to be seen to do things your way, regardles of the fact that you over complicate everything, advise people to "question" things that are proven the fastest/most efficient/effective way of doing things.

SMELTING ESSENTIALY MAKES 1000 INGOTS INTO 2000

Prove me wrong.
?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I just proved you wrong...make a ringmail tunic and sell it at a vendor. The vendor will give you 109 gp for it. You would smelt it for 9 ingots. That's over 10 gold per ingot. Like I said let the people out there see for themselves. It wouldnt be the best way all the time...it depends on what you are making which I stated right off the get go.

1800 ingots worth of tunics (100) at 80gp average compared to 900 ingots you would get for smelting them. Do the math. You'd make a grand in profit to buy a thousand more (8000-7000) and have 100 ingots on top extra then you would if you just smelted them.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

A RINGMAIL TUNIC THAT TAKES 21 MIN SKILL, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GAIN SKILL ON THAT AT 70 SKILL.

Your fucking retarded, your comparing 1800 ingots vs 900 ingots. Shut up archaic, your digging yourself a bigger hole, either prove me wrong by putting the maths up or stop giving out blatantly wrong information. Matron already pulled you on it once and you dissapeared from this section. I only come in here to stop people following your "advice", and i use that term in the loosest possible sense.

And please tell me what the gain rate is like on an item that takes 21 min skill. Your wrong, anyone can see that apart from you apparently. Just say "I was wrong", it wont hurt, I promise.

Note to people, please do not follow any advice archaic gives you, "always question it" because its "always wrong" HTH.
?

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Oh and ringmail tunics cost 18 ingots, and they sell for 119 exceptional, and the resmelt value on them is poor, 6-8 ingots, so not only do you need me to already tip it in your favour with 80% exceptionals, rounding down resmelt values, and basically giving you ever advantage possible, you then need to try and justify your stance further by choosing the lowest resmelt value possible, ignoring the fact that wont gain at all of a 21 min skill tunic past about 60 skill.

So you cant even get your facts straight about your technique, exactly what im talking about, you dont know what your talking about. Pease stop commenting on everything, because UO is huge and nobody knows everything. Im done talking to you about this, I know your wrong, everyone else knows your wrong, a mentaly challenged 10 year old could look at the table and know your wrong, but all you can back your arguement up with is "bu...bu...but resale value", give us a break down or please sshhhh.
?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Caswallon wrote:A RINGMAIL TUNIC THAT TAKES 21 MIN SKILL, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GAIN SKILL ON THAT AT 70 SKILL.

Your fucking retarded, your comparing 1800 ingots vs 900 ingots. Shut up archaic, your digging yourself a bigger hole, either prove me wrong by putting the maths up or stop giving out blatantly wrong information. Matron already pulled you on it once and you dissapeared from this section. I only come in here to stop people following your "advice", and i use that term in the loosest possible sense.

And please tell me what the gain rate is like on an item that takes 21 min skill. Your wrong, anyone can see that apart from you apparently. Just say "I was wrong", it wont hurt, I promise.

Note to people, please do not follow any advice archaic gives you, "always question it" because its "always wrong" HTH.
I said 1800 ingots in already made tunics which would be 100 tunics. You can either smelt or sell which would be 900 ingots if you got half back from smelting 8000gp at least from selling which is roughly 1k ingots and 1000 gp profit. You are just getting mad for being proven wrong after doing a bunch of complex math for no reason whatsoever except you are nuts.

That is just one item, one example homegrown. I also said like ten times now that you need to check the resale value to see if its worth it. Depending on the item it will or won't, also depends on how many you make. And of course you want to make items at or around skill level. I didn't do items only that was lowest in ingots as listed for skill level all the time, I hit the items that were best for gains, used less ingots and made enough gold to hardly mine at all. I GMed Blacksmithing and still havent GMed mining. Check Razor Edge on MYUOSA. It took me a couple days. Been just mining for personal use of late and not for gains or sale so he is only 95 skill.

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/533
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

This is supposed to be a guide for gaining blacksmithy skill to 100 in the best, most efficient way.

Wasting all of your ingots on ringmail tunics is just about the dumbest way to go about doing this that i've ever heard.

Zane

Post by Zane »

Don't get hung up on the issues of tunics and smelting and what not. The guide should just be about what to make to have the most skill gain.

Every player should just focus on what to make. If they want to sell what they make or smelt it to recover ingots, that's entirely up to them.

Sufferings

Post by Sufferings »

Caswallon wrote:A RINGMAIL TUNIC THAT TAKES 21 MIN SKILL, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GAIN SKILL ON THAT AT 70 SKILL.

I think what archaic was trying to explain to you is that some items could yield more profit by selling them to an NPC rather than smelting them. He used the ringmail tunic as an example only. I don't even think he's advocating people to do this one way or the other, he's just bringing up another posibility (which is valid, if you don't feel like -or can't- pvm/pvp.) to make some cash at low bs levels.
Also, I believe you are exaggerating when writing something like "archaic is always wrong". I consider him and you to be very helpful in regards of the information you both share with us here, altho I wouldn't mind if people would stop calling each other "retarded" :) Nobody is right 100% of the time (nor 100% right even :)

Now, does anybody know of an acurrate list where it will display the sell values of the blacksmithing items? Or at least the ones that sell for the best profits (like ringmail tunic)?

Layt

Post by Layt »

Sufferings wrote:

I think what archaic was trying to explain to you is that some items could yield more profit by selling them to an NPC rather than smelting them. He used the ringmail tunic as an example only. I don't even think he's advocating people to do this one way or the other, he's just bringing up another posibility (which is valid, if you don't feel like -or can't- pvm/pvp.) to make some cash at low bs levels.
Also, I believe you are exaggerating when writing something like "archaic is always wrong". I consider him and you to be very helpful in regards of the information you both share with us here, altho I wouldn't mind if people would stop calling each other "retarded" :) Nobody is right 100% of the time (nor 100% right even :)

Now, does anybody know of an acurrate list where it will display the sell values of the blacksmithing items? Or at least the ones that sell for the best profits (like ringmail tunic)?
There's nothing wrong with saying 'youre retarded'. Saying 'your retarded' on the other hand.... That's just retarded ;)

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

This an interesting discussion.

What about if you smelted half the ring tunics and sold the other half to NPCs? How would that work out?

Layt

Post by Layt »

Li Meiyang wrote:This an interesting discussion.

What about if you smelted half the ring tunics and sold the other half to NPCs? How would that work out?
[X] +gold
[ ] +skill

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I was curious about the vendor recommendations, so using Caswallon's guide for Blacksmith and a few minutes on Test, I came up with the following tables:

Table based on player sold ingots at 7gp each.

Code: Select all

Weapon                   : requires  : smelts into  : sells for : exceptional: smelt value : difference
35-55 Cutlass           : 8 ingots  :  5-6 ingots  :   16gp    :    17gp    :   35-42gp   : -19-25gp
55-85 Katanas          : 8 ingots  :  5-6 ingots  :   21gp    :    23gp    :   35-42gp   : -19-25gp
55-85 Short Spears   : 6 ingots  :  3-4 ingots  :   16gp    :    17gp    :   21-28gp   :  -5-11gp
84-96 Plate Gorgets : 10 ingots :  6-7 ingots  :   70gp    :    77gp    :   42-49gp   :    +28gp
96-GM Plate Gloves  : 12 ingots :  7-8 ingots  :   72gp    :    79gp    :   49-56gp   :    +23gp
Table based on player sold ingots at 6gp each.

Code: Select all

Weapon                   : requires  : smelts into  : sells for : exceptional: smelt value : difference
35-55 Cutlass           : 8 ingots  :  5-6 ingots  :   16gp    :    17gp    :   30-36gp   : -14-19gp
55-85 Katanas          : 8 ingots  :  5-6 ingots  :   21gp    :    23gp    :   30-36gp   : -14-19gp
55-85 Short Spears   : 6 ingots  :  3-4 ingots  :   16gp    :    17gp    :   18-24gp   :   -2-7gp
84-96 Plate Gorgets : 10 ingots :  6-7 ingots  :   70gp    :    77gp    :   36-42gp   : +34-35gp
96-GM Plate Gloves : 12 ingots :  7-8 ingots  :   72gp    :    79gp    :   42-48gp   : +30-31gp
You're losing money/ingots if you're vendoring Cutlasses, Katanas, and Short Spears instead of just smelting them. However, by selling Plate Gorgets and Plate Gloves, you return value is more than if you had smelted the items; essentially you're losing out on 4 ingots whenever you smelt gorgets instead of vendoring them if you paid 7gp per ingot, or 5 ingots if you paid 6gp per ingot.

Make 2 gorgets, get one free sounds like a good deal if you snag ingots at 6gp each.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Gracekain

Post by Gracekain »

I think we got a bit off topic here :p

Anyway... Anyone have a good updated smith training guide on hand? I see some are saying make Kats and short spears at 55 skill but i do not see kats or short spears in my list of items to make. I'm at 58 real skill.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Maybe not the best place to ask this question but the Razor macro for making a certain item, let me know if this is correct:

- Record
- Double click on my tongs
- Selected Weapons (Menu Response 5)
- Wait for target (Wanted to know what materials to work with)
- Selected my ingots (Absolute target)
- Wait for Menu
- Menu response 1 (Bladed)
- Wait for Menu
- Menu response 1 (Cutlass, as I dont see Katana on my list yet)
- Finished recording, hit play and check loop

My question is, this is working, but in Razor its an almost 5 min delay between when my char makes or attempts to make the item and when he tries again. In Razor it says Waiting... Timeout: 0 and under that theres the countdown, its in the bottom right corner over the "Loop" checkbox. Is there a way to reduce this time?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Where exactly is your macro hanging at?
Also you want a delay at the end...I think its anywhere between 9-11 secs. Without the delay you are muddling up the timer.
I deleted all my BS macros after I Gmed, just set the delay high and watch the countdown to get it perfect. It may even be less.

Return to “Guides”