Decrease mount speed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Decrease mount speed?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 25

Pro

Decrease mount speed

Post by Pro »

I think every pvper will agree when i say mount speed is currently ridiculous and without movement impairing effects like stun/bolas/parablows it makes chasing people a huge pain in the arse.

I'm pretty confident there's no listing of this on "era accuracy" or anything but lets be honest in 1999 no one ran this fast on uo.

apart from chad

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Decrease mount speed

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

The thrill of the chase is a good thing. You have other alternatives such as mobbing, placing obstacles, macing, field/paralyze spells etc in which to hinder. One on one it might be a bit difficult, but this game is as much about strategy as it is about brute force.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Reality is, 95%+ were not able to run at full speed in era.
Lower it!

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

They fought tooth and nail to nerf tamers because pets could kill them.....do you think anyone on this server is going to let you slow them down in any way?
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

If you are both mounted what difference does it make...you slow or something?
Then I read through all the posts again. Robot hit the nail on the head...this is about pet vs player, not player versus player isn't it?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Robot wrote:do you think anyone on this server is going to let you slow them down in any way?
Implementations on UOSA, contrary the popular rumor are not based popular vote, but because issues that are heavily voiced get looked into more frequently those are often mechanics that see corrections when we have them incorrect.

Walking, running and mounted speeds are correct and also in sync with the speeds the client expects. Any change to the speeds on the server side has had undesirable side effects.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Pro wrote:I think every pvper will agree when i say mount speed is currently ridiculous and without movement impairing effects like stun/bolas/parablows it makes chasing people a huge pain in the arse.

I'm pretty confident there's no listing of this on "era accuracy" or anything but lets be honest in 1999 no one ran this fast on uo.

apart from chad
This is a completely different game on broadband

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

COuld you make it so that anyone I attack automatically drops to 5 hps? It's getting to be a real pain in the butt actually having to PK someone at full health.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Cutpurse wrote:COuld you make it so that anyone I attack automatically drops to 5 hps? It's getting to be a real pain in the butt actually having to PK someone at full health.
Roll a Hally mage.

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

poogoblin wrote:
Cutpurse wrote:COuld you make it so that anyone I attack automatically drops to 5 hps? It's getting to be a real pain in the butt actually having to PK someone at full health.
Roll a Hally mage.

I prefer my bard. That way, when I die I can blame it on that.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

This game wasn't made so you could fly across the map.

Another thing to note, horse stamina should only last about 45 seconds while running I believe. Just repeating Kaivan on this one.
Last edited by Hemperor on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

valheru

Post by valheru »

Hemp: are you supporting a non accurate system? what????

The horse speed is accurate, as per Derrick. Back in T2A, peoples connections, and server lag, prevented most people from obtaining the maximum speed on a mount.

There is nothing wrong with the current system, it is accurate. Are you suggesting that we should replicate the lag/dial up connections that people had during T2A?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

If we aren't supposed to be using an era inaccurate "stuck option" then we shouldn't be using an era inaccurate speed in game. Sure why not! Let's replicate the era internet connections since we are trying to replicate lack of GM support on stuck people.

Also while we are at it, let's make it mandatory for the GMs be rude bungholes that don't want to help you at all because they don't think they are paid enough to sit at a computer and look at a game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

8) Be cool man, be cool

valheru

Post by valheru »

Robot wrote:If we aren't supposed to be using an era inaccurate "stuck option" then we shouldn't be using an era inaccurate speed in game. Sure why not! Let's replicate the era internet connections since we are trying to replicate lack of GM support on stuck people.

Also while we are at it, let's make it mandatory for the GMs be rude bungholes that don't want to help you at all because they don't think they are paid enough to sit at a computer and look at a game.
You're going offtopic. The "Help I'm Stuck" topic is in a different thread.

The fact is

1) the "Help I'm Stuck" menu is NOT era accurate.
2) the speed of mounts IS era accurate.
3) connection speed, while having an impact on the game, is not part of the game itself. This is an irrelevant and unrealistic argument.
4) the hour long delay proposed for the "help i'm stuck" command is just to make sure that a non era accurate system which is needed due to lack of staff, is not abused. (just had to mention this since you brought it up)