Pets following you after being claimed...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
valheru

Pets following you after being claimed...

Post by valheru »

Right now, pets auto follow you after being claimed, with no command given to them. Is this accurate?

I'll try to dig up some information, hopefully others can help, but I'm only asking this because Derrick brought it up the other day and suggested that he did not believe that it was era accurate.

Because this is a very very minor detail, it may not be mentioned anywhere. Maybe someone can check it out on OSI to see if they currently follow, and if they don't follow, and we don't see any patch notes referring to it, we can infer that the current system is incorrect....

Derrick

Re: Pets following you after being claimed...

Post by Derrick »

This could go along with other pet AI fixes in a unified thread as well.

I belive it's inaccurate, but it's not presently documented as such.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'd caution against making "minor" changes without proof, especially when these changes are not pursued in the interest of accuracy but rather are pursued pretty overtly in the interest of nerfing another player/playstyle.

valheru

Post by valheru »

Mike: It is about accuracy, unfortunately, accuracy can be viewed as a "nerf" by some people.

I play a tamer as well, so this isn't a witch hunt.

Also, if no other documentation can be found, maybe this can be checked on OSI with an active account?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

How many times does it need repeated that "not buggy" should not be considered era inaccurate?

If era accurate means not incorporating the fixes to bugs that were in t2a then what's the point. People are here to play t2a era uo....we aren't here for some experiment in uo history.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Tron

Post by Tron »

Robot wrote:How many times does it need repeated that "not buggy" should not be considered era inaccurate?

If era accurate means not incorporating the fixes to bugs that were in t2a then what's the point. People are here to play t2a era uo....we aren't here for some experiment in uo history.

How many tamers threads are you going to cheerlead in?
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

Tron wrote:
Robot wrote:How many times does it need repeated that "not buggy" should not be considered era inaccurate?

How many tamers threads are you going to cheerlead in?
I would guess in about half as many as you cry your eyes out in.

valheru

Post by valheru »

This has nothing to do with bugs. This has to do with the idea that when you claim a pet its command list should be clear, meaning, it shouldn't automatically have the command "follow" given to it WITHOUT a loyalty check.

I understand that players who claim 100 pets at once will not enjoy this, however, if it's era accurate than it's era accurate.

Please, keep this thread clean, remember this isn't the trash talk forum.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

the whole stables need re working, including friends stabling etc.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Mikel123 wrote:I'd caution against making "minor" changes without proof, especially when these changes are not pursued in the interest of accuracy but rather are pursued pretty overtly in the interest of nerfing another player/playstyle.
I agree entirely, we need to know that this change is correct before implementing, however the current behavior allows players with zero taming and lore to have a method of getting pets which they would otherwise have no chance of controlling to follow them.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Will some pets that are bought from the stable then only be accessible to tamers that have the minimum requirements to tame them?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

valheru wrote:Maybe someone can check it out on OSI to see if they currently follow, and if they don't follow, and we don't see any patch notes referring to it, we can infer that the current system is incorrect....
One other thing... Isn't the original code that we started with, and modify with patch notes, far older than the current production code?

In other words... if our server originates from 2001 coding, and we're in 2009, why would we use 2009 behavior as a basis for our 1999 shard? Wouldn't we want to use the 2001 coding, since it's far closer?

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Mikel123 wrote:
valheru wrote:Maybe someone can check it out on OSI to see if they currently follow, and if they don't follow, and we don't see any patch notes referring to it, we can infer that the current system is incorrect....
One other thing... Isn't the original code that we started with, and modify with patch notes, far older than the current production code?

In other words... if our server originates from 2001 coding, and we're in 2009, why would we use 2009 behavior as a basis for our 1999 shard? Wouldn't we want to use the 2001 coding, since it's far closer?

Because if there are no patch notes that address the stabling behavior from our era on one can suggest that this is how it was. Using future notes and current OSI standards to decide what is era accurate usually stands unless there is some sort of rebuttal proof otherwise.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

There is no proof of any of this as of yet so it's silly to keep on about it i spose.

My pets don't automatically follow me unless i tell them to before i stable them.
If i say all stop and stable a pet...if i claim it i watch as it randomly walks around. There isn't even a problem here.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Kael
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kael »

poogoblin wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:

Because if there are no patch notes that address the stabling behavior from our era on one can suggest that this is how it was. Using future notes and current OSI standards to decide what is era accurate usually stands unless there is some sort of rebuttal proof otherwise.
But wouldn't it make more sense to test this in the demo than on current OSI servers, seeing as the demo should be the same as T2A minus any patch notes? Correct me if I'm wrong though as I've never played the demo