Guard command

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Guard command

Post by Hemperor »

Realise I already stopped playing here, but this is something I wanted to bring up for a while and would help out tamers a lot (not for pvp :) )

Currently the guard command here is fairly iffy, I believe it should always cause the pet to attack whenever what its guarding is hit, regardless of who initiated combat.

This is supposed to be a good way to farm, make b and c guard a and then just use "a kill". a will attack, whenever he is attacked back (instantly), b and c will also attack.

This wouldn't help for pvp at all really, I had quite a few sources on the google group which I seem to have lost, but here's one source to start this off:
A good trick when you fight monsters or summoned daemons is to make all your pets guard one pet. Then give the 'Kill!' command to that last pet. The monster or summoned daemon will strike back, triggering the guarding pets.
http://web.archive.org/web/200008311752 ... amer.shtml

EDIT: Realise thats a UO:R page, but I'm pretty sure there were no changes to guard between T2A and UO:R. What pointed me in the direction of looking at this were era posts on the google groups describing this technique.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Re: Guard command

Post by Derrick »

The guard command functionality does lack in correctness and is on the list, and has been discussed in other threads, however, the behavior you describe should currently work.

We really need a full list of pet AI and feature problems.
Hemperor wrote:Realise I already stopped playing here, but this is something I wanted to bring up for a while and would help out tamers a lot (not for pvp :) )

Currently the guard command here is fairly iffy, I believe it should always cause the pet to attack whenever what its guarding is hit, regardless of who initiated combat.

This is supposed to be a good way to farm, make b and c guard a and then just use "a kill". a will attack, whenever he is attacked back (instantly), b and c will also attack.

This wouldn't help for pvp at all really, I had quite a few sources on the google group which I seem to have lost, but here's one source to start this off:
A good trick when you fight monsters or summoned daemons is to make all your pets guard one pet. Then give the 'Kill!' command to that last pet. The monster or summoned daemon will strike back, triggering the guarding pets.
http://web.archive.org/web/200008311752 ... amer.shtml

EDIT: Realise thats a UO:R page, but I'm pretty sure there were no changes to guard between T2A and UO:R. What pointed me in the direction of looking at this were era posts on the google groups describing this technique.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Guard doesn't really function like that at all currently, at least when telling a pet to guard another pet.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

A would have to directly be attacked for B and C to attack.
A kill and auto defend won't work.

I think..