Isn't afk taming resource gathering

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Isn't afk taming resource gathering

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

If you are aquiring pets from nothing, just target nearest/random grey in town, wouldn't that be considered afk resource gathering?
Not to mention leather or wool.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Faust

Re: Isn't afk taming resource gathering

Post by Faust »

I can see this being considered afk resource gathering if the person was killing/skinning the animals but other than that no. There is no resource being gathered really if the person is simply macroing taming. I guess this could depend on what you would consider a "resource" to be. Some people may actually considered tamed pets as a resource. However, this could lead into numerous problems in itself. People that macro alchemy filling up their potion kegs at night would fall into that category. I guess in reality what needs to be done is a precise explanation on what a "resource" is considered here.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

its anything you get for free that you dont need to gather the resources for.
(ie staying in place waiting for spawn)
Imagine MtKendall in Minoc was one big guardzone. Now imagine every spot had a guy on it afk for days to mine that spot keeping all others from that spot.
because these resources arent being destroyed he/they, is/are gathering them.
It is said just sitting in front of a spawn/town chest is illegal even if it is to raise lockpicking because another character can reap the gains.
Put it this way I just got 78 wool off this guys sheep. Whats keeping him from having an alt that would do the same?
this is no different.
It's like mining, you cant mine afk for gain even if you arent keeping the ore.

UPDATE:
I just got 200 wool from his spawn and outside Del since this particular post was made its 2:10 now. I am about to do what he is doing and see why he is just taming these creatures to only retame them...after I get a few I will lead them to the orcs. Though it maybe a public service by maximizing wool it is disturbing other players skill gain.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:its anything you get for free that you dont need to gather the resources for.
(ie staying in place waiting for spawn)
Imagine MtKendall in Minoc was one big guardzone. Now imagine every spot had a guy on it afk for days to mine that spot keeping all others from that spot.
because these resources arent being destroyed he/they, is/are gathering them.
It is said just sitting in front of a spawn/town chest is illegal even if it is to raise lockpicking because another character can reap the gains.
Put it this way I just got 78 wool off this guys sheep. Whats keeping him from having an alt that would do the same?
this is no different.
It's like mining, you cant mine afk for gain even if you arent keeping the ore.
"Resource Gathering"

it is legal to hide and lock pick a chest for skill gains. It is not legal to do that if you could auot loot the chests

The gathering part is the key. The only thing a tamer is getting from afk taming is skill points. So it is no different than hiding/music/provo or any other skill that is 99.9% macro'd in that regard.

If he has another char gathering it is legal as long as it isnt being done afk.

Thats my take on the policy...

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

This is a copy paste of the rules
*You may not gather resources or items unattended. This includes mining, lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton pickin', and fishing in deep water.

I would consider this as the same thing...
you cant gain off pretames...
why hoarding the beasts?

I am 69.5 I will see if there are gains.

If you think its okay to control spawns then maybe we should return entice to its former glory?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:This is a copy paste of the rules
*You may not gather resources or items unattended. This includes mining, lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton pickin', and fishing in deep water.

I would consider this as the same thing...
you cant gain off pretames...
why hoarding the beasts?

I am 69.5 I will see if there are gains.

If you think its okay to control spawns then maybe we should return entice to its former glory?
Well, maybe Derrick needs to chime in, but i would take that text as saying as long as you arnt "gathering" any items you are fine.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

hmm... "gathering"

Just because the animals you tame don't go into your pack, doesn't mean you don't own it. It's still technically in your possession.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Pro

Post by Pro »

resource = base item used to build up, cotton, ore etc what can you really do with 200 tamed toads?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The question is "What can you do with 200 tamed nightmares?". :wink:

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Pro wrote:resource = base item used to build up, cotton, ore etc what can you really do with 200 tamed toads?
Lick 'em

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

poogoblin wrote:
Pro wrote:resource = base item used to build up, cotton, ore etc what can you really do with 200 tamed toads?
Lick 'em
Don't even ask what you could do with 200 sheep...
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

most people who macro taming kill off their tames so that the spawn will keep bringing them fresh ones. so this doesnt make any sense. when i macro taming bulls, im not stableing 200+ bulls to use for some ghetto army later. i tame one, i kill it, and i move on to the next. how is this resource gathering? how is this gathering anything at all? doesnt matter what your definition of "resources" is.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Back on topic, my vote is "no" this isn't resource gathering. If they were stabling them it'd be different story.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

ClowN wrote:most people who macro taming kill off their tames so that the spawn will keep bringing them fresh ones. so this doesnt make any sense. when i macro taming bulls, im not stableing 200+ bulls to use for some ghetto army later. i tame one, i kill it, and i move on to the next. how is this resource gathering? how is this gathering anything at all? doesnt matter what your definition of "resources" is.
Thats the thing if they arent being destroyed they are gathering them....
I just tamed half that delucia guys pets when they went wild and sent them out to die.
Its common courtesy I think to either name and release your pets or kill them in some fashion rather then tame a bunch and have some that go stray others cant gain off of.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

"Common courtesy" is not, and should not be, a law.

I vote No, taming while AFK is not "resource gathering". There's absolutely no way to make this wildly (or even remotely) profitable. If Faust manages to AFK tame 200 Nightmares, we may have an issue. And I think we all agree, if someone AFK tames a bunch of sheep and AFK macros the shearing of them, then that would constitute resource gathering.