House Bans:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

House Bans:

Post by Faust »

The tiles around the front steps of a house should also forcefully be ejecting banned players from a house.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: House Bans:

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:The tiles around the front steps of a house should also forcefully be ejecting banned players from a house.
I've only known you to be moved if you stepped on the stoop.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Banned players are not suppose to be able to open the house doors unlike what is possible on UOSA. The reason this was the case is because the outer tile from the steps would move a banned player to the banning location.
Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes wrote: Ban works exactly as "add a friend" does, except it bans.
Any house friend may use this command.
Banning will also eject the character from the house, to three tiles from the door.
You cannot ban a friend of the house.
A message explaining what happened is given to the victim.
There is a limit of 50 bans.
This patch shows where the "banning location" should be with some incorrect on UOSA even currently. This location always next to the house usually under the house sign leaving one location in between the person and the steps. This outer tile next to the steps should move the player to the default spot instead of when they attempt moving to the stairs. This was to limit a banned player from opening the doors.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Faust wrote:Banned players are not suppose to be able to open the house doors unlike what is possible on UOSA.
Telekinesis.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I was aware that you weren't moved to the ban location in era, you just bounced off the steps, but I belive you could still stand adjacent to the steps.

I think more needs to be found on this before making a change.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes wrote: Banning will also eject the character from the house, to three tiles from the door.
I, along with any other rational person with a minor grasp of the English language, reads that as "Banning will also eject the character from the house and place them three tiles from the door". Not "Banning will also eject the character from the house as well as from anywhere within three tiles of the door". How would you even eject someone from a house who is standing outside of the house, not on the stairs?

You seriously have nothing better to do?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This line item from the UOR Patch Notes shows how players who attempt to enter a house they are banned from was handled differently from that point forward:
UOR Patch Notes wrote:House Banning
The effect of being banned from a house will change slightly. When a player, monster, animal, or NPC is banned from a house and approach the door, they will be moved under the house sign (the eject location) rather than bouncing back a couple of spaces.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes wrote: Ban works exactly as "add a friend" does, except it bans.
Banning will also eject the character from the house, to three tiles from the door.
this doesn't say anything about not being able to walk onto the tiles adjacent to the steps, it only states that when a character is banned it is moved to 3 tiles from the door.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I agree with Faust on this one.

Banned people were not able to open the door of a house they were banned from. I was suprised to find they could, but not too suprise to just insta-log

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Dagon wrote:
Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes wrote: Banning will also eject the character from the house, to three tiles from the door.
I, along with any other rational person with a minor grasp of the English language, reads that as "Banning will also eject the character from the house and place them three tiles from the door". Not "Banning will also eject the character from the house as well as from anywhere within three tiles of the door". How would you even eject someone from a house who is standing outside of the house, not on the stairs?
This is beyond our target date though. Prior to this, they were not put that far away I belive.

The being able to open the door if banned I this is a seperate question, unrelated to the ban location
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I don't remember being unable to open an unlocked door if banned.

Faust

Post by Faust »

marmalade wrote:
this doesn't say anything about not being able to walk onto the tiles adjacent to the steps, it only states that when a character is banned it is moved to 3 tiles from the door.
No one ever said that it did.

My concern was never with the way a banned player's location was changed when attempting to walk over a banned region. It was only the outer layer of the steps that functioned as part of the "banned region" that disallowed them to open doors. The argument was that the default ban location that they move to is "3 tiles" from the door meaning a space in between the steps and the player ALWAYS exist. Seems odd that they would put them in between that space if it didn't react as part of the banned region in my opinion.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Derrick wrote:
Dagon wrote:
This is beyond our target date though. Prior to this, they were not put that far away I belive.
It says Dec '98, not Dec '99

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

poogoblin wrote: It says Dec '98, not Dec '99
Oh oops. Thanks :D

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

I remember NOT being able to open doors while banned, but I seem to remember being able to be adjacent to the steps but if I attempted to open the door it would kick you to the ban location.

Edit: I can try this on OSI when I get home perhaps.