Curious about Windows 7 and UO

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Curious about Windows 7 and UO

Post by Caswallon »

Its a factory built PC, no changes possible im afraid. Its also one of about 3 PCs in my price range and the other 2 cut corners, less RAM and worse CPU. I did look in to a customisable base build but the monitors were pushing the price up far too much.

My current PC is close to death and I have little funds, so I need to purchase now, its actually en route now, I placed order this afternoon. Still £330 with a 19" monitor is not bad in my book.
?

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

the integrated graphics will be worse than the cpu.. integrated graphics are NEVER any good.. doesn't matter what chipset it is. good luck playing UO on 7 with integrated graphics..

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

It cant be worse than using the PIII 993mhz, 192mb RAM, 17GB HDD, intergrated no name GPU that im using now. I cant even have 2 clients up at once.

Can someone give me a clear answer please? I asked several techies before ordering if this PC would be ok and was told yes by everyone, now all off a sudden its not...confused.
?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

you should be fine, if you want I can load up windows 7 and test it on my kids computer, which is below the specs you listed.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

hiicha wrote:you should be fine, if you want I can load up windows 7 and test it on my kids computer, which is below the specs you listed.
If you would do that I would be eternally grateful Mr hiicha sir.
?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Caswallon wrote:
hiicha wrote:you should be fine, if you want I can load up windows 7 and test it on my kids computer, which is below the specs you listed.
If you would do that I would be eternally grateful Mr hiicha sir.
I'll test it tonight and let you know.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I downloaded the client from the Mirror 1 site listed under the downloads section as the original download link seems to be broken (which might I say has been put together extremely well since the last one I used from this site was pure crap. Both Razor and UOAM installed seamlessly, and most of the settings including the server settings are preconfigured.)

Specs of the laptop I'm using (Acer mind you):
experience.PNG
experience.PNG (69 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
After download was complete, I changed the compatibility settings on the installer itself to Windows XP SP 3 and Runas Administrator:
compat.PNG
compat.PNG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Installed everything as normal, when I logged on for the first time I noticed there wasn't any music playing (someone clever preset music to off in the install), enabled it and did a few loops around Britain, then ran out to Yew.

I never desynced once, I verified several times by simply running into houses to see if autoopen was working. No problems with lag, except whenever music tracks changed like entering cities or going from War/Peace mode (I have this same issue on my Windows XP machine, which is why I don't play with music on. I think it was a common issue.)

I did see my screen flicker once, but I'd just assume its the crappy video this laptop has as I never received any error notification or drivers had been reinstated messages. Otherwise I'd say it ran perfectly fine. The first time I ran Razor, a popup asked for permission to connect, other than that I never had to change the properties of either UO or Razor, or run either as admin.

I actually feel more trustworthy of windows 7, might end up upgrading my gaming rig to it. If you'd like to me to try something else, just let me know.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Thank you very much hiicha, you have given me peace of mind. :D
?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Caswallon wrote:Thank you very much hiicha, you have given me peace of mind. :D
That will be 20k.

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

Dagon wrote:the integrated graphics will be worse than the cpu.. integrated graphics are NEVER any good.. doesn't matter what chipset it is. good luck playing UO on 7 with integrated graphics..

Are you serious? Remember this game was around since '97. I have played ultima on several laptops with shared video memory containing anywhere between 16MB and 64MB of video memory, with several clients open and aero effects enabled. I do agree shared video memory blows for most graphically intensive application. (not integrated because Alienware produces integrated video cards like nvidia 9 series with up to 1GB of ram in their laptops, integrated doesn't necessarily mean shared video memory).

Here are the system requirement for UO.

Minimum
Pentium 133MHz
16MB RAM
Slip/PPP or Direct Connect at 28.8Kbps With 32-bit TCP/IP Stack
1MB PCI Video Card, 16-bit Direct X Supported
16-bit Sound Card
DirectX
Microsoft Compatible Mouse
RECOMMENDED
Pentium 166MHz
32MB RAM
550MB Uncompressed Hard Drive Space
2MB PCI Video Card
8X CD-ROM Drive

Hint on the video card requirements.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

who cares you can always buy a new video card...

my win 7 runs UO fine.. sometimes when is start it up it gives me some sound buffer error but i just run it again and its fine.

anyone know how to pump up disc transfer speed on win 7? i got 7.2/7.3 ratings on everything except for transfer rate... which is a glaring 5.9 :(.

Im guessing a raid config might help?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Biohazard wrote:Im guessing a raid config might help?
Raid 0, or buy a solid state drive.

Natural

Post by Natural »

hiicha wrote:Caswallon, if it crashes for any reason, you can download Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 and run it through that. Shouldn't have any problem with the virtualization unless you have a really slow computer.

Windows Xp Mode shows that it is only for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. My wife can't get it and she has Home, i can cause i have ultimate.
<Derrick> son of a bitch

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

also need a newer cpu that has virtualization ;)

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Natural wrote:
hiicha wrote:Caswallon, if it crashes for any reason, you can download Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 and run it through that. Shouldn't have any problem with the virtualization unless you have a really slow computer.

Windows Xp Mode shows that it is only for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. My wife can't get it and she has Home, i can cause i have ultimate.
Yeah didn't know about that. I also just found out Home Premium doesn't include the hosting portion of Remote Desktop; I can no longer remote in to play with the settings, gotta walk my ass downstairs. There is a hack for it, but its buggy and I'm not in the mood to mess with it.