Equipping while casting

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Equipping while casting

Post by Caswallon »

I cant believe this has apparently been missed until now, i can only assume because its a 2000 patch note, and nobody checks those as our cut off is Nov 99.
Server Publish Jan 24 2000 9:14AM CST

Pre-casting

The bug involving the ability to “pre-cast” spells and then use or take items will be fixed. After casting a spell, the targeting cursor will disappear if the player does any of the following:

* Equips or unequips an item.
* Takes an item.
* Drags an item from their backpack.
So, using/draging item while casting = fizzle, but casting then equipping while cursor is up = how it was until this point in time?
?

platy

Post by platy »

Hemperor wrote:This is something that was never possible during T2A (and majority of Pre-T2A, if not all).
You may be right about it not being in during T2a.. But just out of curiousity I know you do alot of RESEARCH but did you even know about UO while t2a was around? Or is all your wealth of knowledge based solely on the research you do (in other words no real first hand experience?) I think I remember you started uo on a Sphere shard?
It's not an insult in any way I just remember being able to target with a weapon and not get unequipped, and for you to say it MIGHT not have been possible is borderline rediculous imho..

Everlynn

Post by Everlynn »

I take my comment back. This is completely correct. You never had too take your weapon off to drop a spell

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Added to what platy is saying, surely the patch notes I posted above point to being able to cast while equipped, after the initial cast time? The term "pre-casting" implies casting a spell prior to performing an action, ie: equipping a weapon and/or attacking?

Faust has already stated he may be mixing UO:R with T2A, I would suggest that you infact could drop a spell after equipping a weapon, without it auto un-equipping. Were you to para someone, you are then auto attacking, cast flamestrike, equip hally, move into melee range, auto attack is engaged so you swing, drop the spell? Thats how I recall my first PK experience.

This would also account for many people feeling the PvP here is off, or broken.
?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

You will fizzle if you target a spell while equipped in the demo. There are no patch notes indicating any change between the beginning of UO and the demo on the issue.

The only time you could cast equipped was with order or chaos shields equipped in the PreT2A O/C system.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Ok but what about casting, equipping, swinging weapons, un-equipping, then dropping spell? Idk im just thinking out load tbh.
?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Ok but what about casting, equipping, swinging weapons, un-equipping, then dropping spell? Idk im just thinking out load tbh.
Thats how it works now.

In my oppionion it was best when you clicked the target it auto unequiped. it just flowed better. as for acc' i couldnt honetly say, i was a tamer.
[broken image]

Faust

Post by Faust »

Auto unequiping while casting is clearly the UOR version of pre-casting...
Combat Damage Changes Aug 20 2001 2:34AM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_346.html wrote: Pre-Casting
"Pre-casting" has been re-enabled as follows:
You cannot equip anything while you are casting.
After you cast a spell, it will "time out" after 30 seconds and can no longer target anything. During those 30 seconds, you can now equip a weapon, attack with it without ruining your stored spell. When you release the spell, you will automatically unwield your weapon.
This is not how pre casting works in the demo before the t2a era was published and there is no other instance besides the patch note above to suggest otherwise in regard to casting spells with your hands occupied.

When you attempt to target a pre casted spell with your hands occupied in the demo the spell would fizzle out with the "You must have your hands free to cast spells" message with the appeneded "or meditate" version when that skill was introduced in early '99. Why is this comment important for this feature? The reason it's important is because we have screenshots of that exact message being used in the t2a era after the appended version of the message for the meditation skill was in use. This means with certainty that this game mechanic did function this way after early '99 when the skill was released... Again, as Hemp pointed out the only time you could cast with your hands occupied was with order/chaos shields in the old guild/virtue system during the Pre-T2a era. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that this was ever possible in either of the two eras besides what was mentioned already. I don't see any reason to consider or even discuss this feature without any evidence to support it even slightly.

This post is about the current and most likely inaccurate game mechanic involving spell interruption when equipping weapons/shields during the casting sequence.

Bigoud
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Bigoud »

i do remember very well in T2A my guy casting while hally equipped (right after i clicked on the spell) and the graphic of it was a little weird...
Yew Bank Mall
Everything you need is there ! Check it out on the link below !
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 859#p72859

jcalvert86

Post by jcalvert86 »

I started playing UO about a month prior to UO:R.

My very first pvp instruction from a guildmate was to hit my arm hally macro right after hitting the explo spell macro to hit while casting.

Everlynn

Post by Everlynn »

what i don't understand is why the DEMO takes precedence over all other evidence? I know for a FACT that in the T2A era you could for certain target someone with a weapon equip and your weapon would automatically fall and cast the spell. This Was around on this server about a year ago and was changed within the last 8-9 months...

It is against my human nature to even press the un-equip button before releasing my spell target.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

The demo is not as accurate as everyone thinks.

It's missing many features that we knew in UO including this feature.

I specifically remember in 1998, I would log into the demo and think "wow this sure is different from UO".

The demo is not accurate, Faust and everyone else who believes so is being foolish.

Let's trust the memories of players over a demo that was never accurate the live server.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

The demo is not accurate, Faust and everyone else who believes so is being foolish.

Let's trust the memories of players over a demo that was never accurate the live server.
You are missing something, the demo was prepared may/june 1998. The CD which contained the demo was released 3 months later in september 1998. That's already 3 months of progress. 3 months of patch notes, 3 months of changes. The live servers evolved, kept evolving and still evole, the demo never did and is still a replica of mid 1998 OSI server. Combine the demo code and patch notes and I believe you will have the most era-accurate server ever.
It's missing many features that we knew in UO including this feature.
Don't be vague please, what other features? Give us something to work with.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Just throwing in my 2 cents here, I definitely remember being able to target someone with a spell while having a weapon equipped and having my weapon un-equipped for me while the spell went off. It did not auto fizzle like it does here.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I am glad this thread was made, I really do remember this because how can we mistaken this with any time period BUT t2a?

Tank mages didn't exist in UO:R(just hybrids) and people on these forums remember tank mages doing this.

It's not like this change would make anything imbalanced, it just adds a different feeling to the spell casting. It's accurate though, either way.