Interest in future cash entry duel tourney

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
Ifrit

Interest in future cash entry duel tourney

Post by Ifrit »

Hey everyone,
Wanted to see if there would be any interest in a structured player run duel tournament. The staff run scheduled events are cool and I think are a great asset to the shard. However, I think anybody who has been a part of an organized player run tourney during T2A can attest to the fact that it is some of the most fun you can possibly ever have within UO.
We used to host these years ago and always had a good turnout.
I'll follow the basic outline we used to use 10 years ago, and would appreciate feedback to see if this is worth trying in the near future.
Also, I will have some questions based on how we used to run these that I would need server specific responses for.

Basic Overview:
*1v1 tourney (many combinations could be used, but for the outline we'll just stick to a basic 1v1 duel tourney)
*Flat entry fee per entrant.
-Typically between 10k and 50k per entrant. (what do you feel would be appropriate for duelers on this server???)
*Structured pay scale
-Top 20% of entrants win cash -- obviously with higher payouts for higher finishes
eg: 25 entrants - 10k buy in. 250k total . Top 5 finishes are paid out of the pool
1st 50% -125k prize
2nd 30% - 75k prize
3rd 10% - 25k prize

4th + 5th 5% - 12.5k prize
THE ABOVE IS JUST AN EXAMPLE. EXACT %'S WOULD RELY ON COMMUNITY OPINION
*Both parties flag on a mule, tourney director drops a wall of stone -- when it wears off, the match begins
*Common sense rule set (No magic, no pots except red,no para, no pets, the obv. stuff)
* Would be hosted on top of a tower usually.
-Would need a volunteer who wouldn't mind hosting. Segregating the roof and ensuring it's security would literally take 5 minutes.
*Staff of 3-5 players including the owner for organizing the event. From collecting most importantly money in escrow, to monitoring each match, to bracketting the rounds, to res the dead, etc, etc. (I can do pretty much all of that, but if anyone else would want involvement it would be great.)

When run correctly these are 100% safe and go without any problems. Since im sure their are some questions of how that is even possible, i'll make a FAQ below.

FAQ:

Q: How can you possibly ensure that all rules would be followed
A: Very simply. If someone attempts to break the rules during a match than.. "I ban thee". Auto DQ - entry lost, problem gone. When money is involved, nearly 100% of the time people won't jeopardize getting DQ'ed just to be a dick

Q: How can you ensure spectators dont interfere.
A: The only living spectators will be staff, server staff if they want to watch, and the entrants themselves. ghosts can be welcome, but if they don't behave then we would simply ban them.

Q: Still, what about entrants who are elimintated. How can you prevent them from interfering in a match.
A: If someone is eliminated and wants to stay to watch that's fine. We would very simply hold any weapons or regs they have in a container in a marked bag for each person until they wish to leave.

Q: How can you guarantee I will get paid if i win?
A: Back on OSI, when we did these it was based strictly on trusting the person who hosted it and his reputation. I realize the UO community has changed. If theres no trust than I would very simply ask for a UOSA staff member to hold the funds. But I assure you, it's a non-issue.

Finally, I just want to mention that I realize the above outline seems like a lot of explanation for something thats supposed to be simple. It was meant as a overview more than anything.
In reality the only thing that you as an entrant would have to do is
a.) Pay the entry
b.) show up
c.) play

It truly is that simple.
Other variations of this structure can obviously be used. Such as: winner take all format, double elimination, best of 3 matches, etc, etc. I'm not focusing on that.
So basically for now just give me some feedback so I can see if there is interest.
Thanks

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Interest in future cash entry duel tourney

Post by Daolin »

Give it a try. Advertise well and see what happens.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Interest in future cash entry duel tourney

Post by Fwerp »

Some will be interest, but player runs tournies, even with big purses, don't tend to draw that many people. ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE and pick a good time after events when people will be online.

Return to “Player Run Events”