Best Tank Mage Weapon in-game test.

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Best Tank Mage Weapon in-game test.

Post by Mikel123 »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:You have 10% of a weapons hit points between levels of wear. Which would be like from 90-99% of a weapons durability if it's in the first stage of use.
I am not sure this is correct. It may be 90-100% is "unused", and 80-89% is "slightly used" or whatever.
archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Surely a couple points damage could be credited to even slight wear of a weapon and have some impact on damage output.
Look. Do me a favor. Stop spreading BS here, and go test this for yourself. You said that your friend was testing and his halberd noticeably dropped in damage output after 12 hits. Go buy a halberd and hit something 12 times with it, and then use Arms Lore. Do this on as many halberds as you want. I guarantee that NONE of them will be at anything but "unused". Therefore, your friend's impression is incorrect. He may have gotten worse rolls after 12 hits with it, but that's just luck. It had nothing to do with item wear and tear.
archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Being a hally has 80 hp (10%=8) and bardiche has 100 max(10%=10)...the effect of wear would impact the hally more then the bardiche over time.
It would be more accurate to say that, on average, a bardiche has more HPs. Their max possible HPs is irrelevant. You could spawn a halberd with 80 HPs and a bardiche with 40. But regardless, I see your point and agree.

MY point is, 50 swings is not nearly enough to notice this difference. The halberd averages 3 more points of damage per swing (according to the actual stats, not Matron's testing). Even if it was a full arms lore level below the bardiche, it would still be doing 95% of it's damage versus the bardiche's 100%. And even then, the halberd would be doing an average of about 2 points more damage per swing.

Even if the halberd was at the THIRD best arms lore level, versus the bardiche at full HPs, it would STILL be doing more damage than the bardiche on average, by about a full point of damage per swing.

My point, once more, is that if Matron's testing shows differently, then it's overwhelmingly likely that it's due to small sample size.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I really have no clue why you guys are arguing.
me wrote:Of the few weapons that I selected for each weapon-type, I will be doing a further examination of speed at 25 stam, as well as the duration it takes to "cycle" each weapon.
Included in this followup will be an increased sample size, this primary trial was to determine which weapons I would test. It took/takes alot of time to compile all of this data and this is how I chose to go about minimizing my efforts. 50 swings for 10+ weapons takes a great deal of time. There is a problem with the sample size obviously.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'd suggest saving yourself the time. I'm pretty confident in Derrick's implementation of the weapon stats into the actual game.

You can figure out the numbers you're calculating in trial by using some statistical math instead (again, assuming Derrick's implementation is accurate).

For example, the halberd. It does 2d23+3 damage. A GM halberd will add 4 damage, so 2d23+7. We know the min damage is 2+7 = 9. We know the max is 2*23+7 = 53. The average is the average of each roll (12) times the number of rolls (2) plus the bonus (7), so 12*2+7 = 31. Now, you also look at variance there. A useful stat for measuring that is Standard Deviation. To calculate that for die rolls, the formula is:

SQRT[X*(N^2-1)/12]
where X is the number of dice, and N is the number of sides on them.

So plug the halberd dice in, and you get a SD of 9.4. What that tells you is that about 2/3 of your halberd hits will be between 22 and 40 damage (31-9, 31+9). 95% will be within 2 SD, so 95% will hit for about 12 to 50.

Of course, this is unmodified damage. To measure what a Tank mage would do, you take any of these damages (let's say the average, 31) and multiply it by 150% (or 1.5) due to 100 tactics. So that's 46.5. You also add in a 20% bonus for 100 STR, so that would be a bonus of 6.2 damage. So that totals 52.7 damage. Now because all damage is halved, you divide by 2. So a GM halberd will average 26 damage, or thereabouts. And you can do the same math to look at the range of hits within 1 SD, 2 SD, etc.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Where's the fun in that?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I really have no clue why you guys are arguing.
me wrote:Of the few weapons that I selected for each weapon-type, I will be doing a further examination of speed at 25 stam, as well as the duration it takes to "cycle" each weapon.
Included in this followup will be an increased sample size, this primary trial was to determine which weapons I would test. It took/takes alot of time to compile all of this data and this is how I chose to go about minimizing my efforts. 50 swings for 10+ weapons takes a great deal of time. There is a problem with the sample size obviously.
So it will take a hundred hits before a hally does more damage then a bardiche?
It's all die rolls. Sample size wont matter against plain ol' bad luck.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Sample size wont matter against plain ol' bad luck.
Actually, the exact opposite.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Alright Matron... I got some bardiches to sell ya :D Same price as halberds - quite a deal!

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

MatronDeWinter wrote: Fencing
The Long spear sucks. The short spear is pretty good actually, and marginally consistent. The war fork put out a higher max damage, but also a lower minimum so it is sort of the "Short Spear's Bardache"
this is interesting. i play a fencer tank mage occasionally. hes DOES have more then 25 dex so maybe this is why my numbers are different, but i have found that the long spear outperforms the short spear hands down. The short spear does seem to be more consistant damage, but the random large chunks of damage from the long spear have attributed to many kill shots on my fencer mage.

this is a very useful post, and i look forward to testing some of your findings as alternate weapons.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

ClowN wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote: Fencing
The Long spear sucks. The short spear is pretty good actually, and marginally consistent. The war fork put out a higher max damage, but also a lower minimum so it is sort of the "Short Spear's Bardache"
this is interesting. i play a fencer tank mage occasionally. hes DOES have more then 25 dex so maybe this is why my numbers are different, but i have found that the long spear outperforms the short spear hands down. The short spear does seem to be more consistant damage, but the random large chunks of damage from the long spear have attributed to many kill shots on my fencer mage.

this is a very useful post, and i look forward to testing some of your findings as alternate weapons.
I don't think the stats are correct between the short and long spear; the short spear is really bad when it shouldn't be, and I've found even just a newbie long spear to be damaging.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Long spear is #1 DoT (damage-over-time) on the server.

Whoever said it sucks is just clueless. It is only slightly handicapped b/c you can't chug beneficial pots with it equipped.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

Sandro wrote:Long spear is #1 DoT (damage-over-time) on the server.

Whoever said it sucks is just clueless. It is only slightly handicapped b/c you can't chug beneficial pots with it equipped.
I thought the q-staff was #1 DoT. I guess you have to balance in the spear's poison ability vs the staffs stamina drain but I was pretty sure the q-staff won out on straight dps by a small margin.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Rhaps wrote:

I thought the q-staff was #1 DoT. I guess you have to balance in the spear's poison ability vs the staffs stamina drain but I was pretty sure the q-staff won out on straight dps by a small margin.
It is, just ignore him.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Rhaps wrote:

It is, just ignore him.
Depends on the AR of the target. Halberd is probably #1 DOT versus an Ancient Wyrm.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Q-staff is #2.

You guys hate when im right don't you?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

This is a retarded argument. It depends on the mods of the weapon and the AR of the target.

There is no one weapon that is "#1" in damage over time.

GM-made, against 0 AR, the short spear is #1.
GM-made, against 30 AR, the spear is #1.
GM-made, against 60 AR, the halberd is #1.
(my AR calculations are bit funky because of the way AR works - you have 6 different AR's across your 6 body zones, and I am unsure I'm calculating it correctly for monsters).

+25 vanq, against 0 AR, short spear is #1.
+25 vanq, against 30 AR, short spear is #1.
+25 vanq, against 60 AR, halberd is #1.

The quarterstaff, though, cannot possibly be the best weapon in damage over time, since it does an average of 18 damage per swing and has a speed of 48, while the short spear does an average of 18 as well, but is a tiny bit faster at 50 speed.