[Poll] Should Longterm Counts be Added?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

How should murder counts be handled?

Leave all murder counts at 8 hours.
27%
Apply longterm murder counts to the original 40 hrs.
67%
Apply longterm murder counts, but not as high as 40.
6%

Total votes: 83

brandonsantacruz

Re: [Poll] Should Longterm Counts be Added?

Post by brandonsantacruz »

Derrick wrote: Stat loss was pre-T2A, and way before anything like trammel was ever considered. I really do believe it gives PK's a little notoriety and respect. That's only my opinion, though not trying to open up a debate on the issue of stat loss. The bottom line is that the reason we have stat loss is that it's accurate to the era. The long term counts can go either way since it's accurate either way.
I either played or watched the game from practically it's beginning until some time before UO:R. The "Dread Lord" days were the best, imho, at least reputation-wise. You could go red and face no stat loss, so there was no fear of built-in consequences from PKing, other than being banned from town. Even in those days, if I remember correctly, they went back and forth on the reputation system between stat loss, perma-red, etc.

As for blue PKs, I did that plenty. Murdering added an element of danger to soloing, making people legitimately fear going into dungeons or even out in the forest late at night. On the other hand, people would chase down PKs and swarms of Anti-PKs would appear if the murderers stayed in one place for too long.

I voted for long term counts in this case just because I want to be able to kill PKs on sight without flagging.

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

Adding long term counts with statloss based off the short term seems to be the consensus...good addition for the next patch :)

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

In principle I would not oppose long term counts, however that opinion comes with a caveat.

Firstly- if long term counts were implemented it would require a one-time-per-character amnesity for poor old Deacon the Great.

Secondly- the 8-hour short term / 40-hour long term count dichotomy isn't much of a problem in an environment where macroing is acceptable. At the end of the day PKers should be red!

Bring on the long term counts.

brandonsantacruz

Post by brandonsantacruz »

Mens Rea wrote: Firstly- if long term counts were implemented it would require a one-time-per-character amnesity for poor old Deacon the Great.
It's not like he's going to decide to stop pking with long term counts, I don't think it would be retroactive, anyway.

Zim

Post by Zim »

Deacon's got a reputation, why would he go blue? =)

Doogie Howser MD

Post by Doogie Howser MD »

The best things about longterm reds is that it would rivitalize bucs den. There's never anyone there. Hopefully this will create a faction of reds who frequent bucs instead of sitting in their house macroing of their kills.

Chriswithatemper
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chriswithatemper »

Now that I give it a second look:

I don't see how it matters much.. as soon as I get my stats up there I am going to murder you all Red or no red, stat loss or no stat loss.

40 cumulative hours is alot to macro. but If I'm allowed 3 accounts I think to have one PERMA-RED is acceptable. Its not like I'm going to town to chit chat and role play with every one of my characters.

Having one pretty colored outcast with a million hours isn't going to hurt.

Yea... come to think of it.. Im all for long term counts.. its not that it matters that much. if you are going to pk you might as well go all the way. I was always a big fan of being a murderer who took pride in his red name.

benny-

Post by benny- »

I heard that the implementing of this idea was postponed because of some newer objections to the change, but I wanted to see if this was something that was still in the works as Derrick said. Most of objections Ive seen were from people who didn't seem to understand the change I suggested and still, the poll is 37 to 14 in favor of people wanting a change....could we get some clarification as to if its going to be changed or not? Id really like to see pks be red again instead of blue-pking being so prominent =/.
- Elisud

venox

Post by venox »

there is only one think im not certain of.

and is that:

do long term counts start counting down from the time of the murder.
or do they get stacked onto the previous one???

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

venox wrote:there is only one think im not certain of.

and is that:

do long term counts start counting down from the time of the murder.
or do they get stacked onto the previous one???
A new count will not reset the timer if that's what you mean.

venox

Post by venox »

ok,
well in that case i hold my position in opposition to it.

if the long term count was at most 40hrs id be for it!!!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The era accurate system was a long term count with 40 hours decay per count that only made you red, but did not put you in stat loss.

If we implement this, all long term counts will start at zero, without regard to your short term counts.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i vote for 40 hr counts and short terms, beinga red guy runnin around is fun :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

All the true PKers here WANT 40 hour long term counts. Most of the opposition is coming from players who don't PK.

Food for thought.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

ironfistmax wrote:All the true PKers here WANT 40 hour long term counts. Most of the opposition is coming from players who don't PK.

Food for thought.
Really? I would have thought long terms would mean more noob reds running around making you all less unique. I'd love to see long terms.