How perma grey operated, and why it doesn't operate now.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

How perma grey operated, and why it doesn't operate now.

Post by Mens Rea »

My recollection of perma-grey.

If you stole from another person, no matter what the outcome you would turn "perma-grey".

"Perma-grey" would result in the following:

- If you stole an item, and it was undetected, then you would remain blue. However, if you were attacked by anybody you would be "able to be attacked" (look at the UO Options, click on the Reputation System button, and note that "criminal" and "can be attacked" are defaulted to the same colour."

-If you were killed, by anybody, in this manner then your ghost and corpse would be criminal, therefore you would be unable to be ressurected for 2 minutes.

- If you stole and item, and it was detected, then you would go criminal for 2 minutes. If the 2 minute criminal timer wore off then you would remain in the "can be attacked" state to the person you stole from until death, whereby the 2 minute criminal timer applies again.

-Similarly to the first option, you would remain blue to the public at large except for if they attacked you, in which case you would turn "can be attacked" to whoever attacked you.

At the moment it appears that you go perminently "can be attacked" to anyone you steal from, which I believe to be inaccurate.

Derrick

Re: How perma grey operated, and why it doesn't operate now.

Post by Derrick »

Mens Rea wrote:My recollection of perma-grey.

If you stole from another person, no matter what the outcome you would turn "perma-grey".

"Perma-grey" would result in the following:

- If you stole an item, and it was undetected, then you would remain blue. However, if you were attacked by anybody you would be "able to be attacked" (look at the UO Options, click on the Reputation System button, and note that "criminal" and "can be attacked" are defaulted to the same colour."

-If you were killed, by anybody, in this manner then your ghost and corpse would be criminal, therefore you would be unable to be ressurected for 2 minutes.

- If you stole and item, and it was detected, then you would go criminal for 2 minutes. If the 2 minute criminal timer wore off then you would remain in the "can be attacked" state to the person you stole from until death, whereby the 2 minute criminal timer applies again.

-Similarly to the first option, you would remain blue to the public at large except for if they attacked you, in which case you would turn "can be attacked" to whoever attacked you.

At the moment it appears that you go perminently "can be attacked" to anyone you steal from, which I believe to be inaccurate.
The only thing here that doesn't mesh with what I believe our system is currently is that you are only perma-gray to your victim, not to everyone else. The difference between the can-be-attacked flag and the criminal flag is that when you are perma gray, you are not a criminal.

Are you saying that the perma-gray state is persisting after the thief has been killed?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Yes, it would seem the perma-greyness exceeds the 120 second criminal timer which occurs once a perma thief dies.

So, it continues after death.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While I do not know that this is a bug here. On another T2A server, there was an issue with getting guardwhacked and perma-grey. Anyone guardwhacked would resurrect perma-grey to the person that they had stolen from before and were freely killable a second time.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

That sounds similar to what occurs on this shard...