Gaining resist

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Lazarus

Gaining resist

Post by Lazarus »

What do you cast at various levels? I know fire field will get you to 40ish (?) rather quickly but what about 40+ plus? Is there a chart like with magery?

Also is there a way to do a "resist session" with just your 3 accounts? I'm not talking about AFK macroing all three as I feel when you are talking about magery and taking damage I feel like some oversight is definitely needed but I'm just wondering if there is a way I could get maybe 2 characters to gain while a 3rd heals or maybe just have 2 macroing with each other and if so whats the best setup.

Bag

Re: Gaining resist

Post by Bag »

I gm'd resist on my characters by just doing LB to 62, EB to 71ish, FS to 100.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Bag wrote:I gm'd resist on my characters by just doing LB to 62, EB to 71ish, FS to 100.
Really? Sweet, just basic spells. I'm thinking I could macro a alt to cast on a main as he is at low 50s magery and have my healer healing. I wonder if that would work....

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Thats exactly what I have going on. Well when my character is casting he is casting on himself to gain magery, then has my warrior healing him.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Lazarus wrote:
Bag wrote:I gm'd resist on my characters by just doing LB to 62, EB to 71ish, FS to 100.
Really? Sweet, just basic spells. I'm thinking I could macro a alt to cast on a main as he is at low 50s magery and have my healer healing. I wonder if that would work....
That should work, plus, ffield will get you to 55.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Pirul wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
That should work, plus, ffield will get you to 55.
Really? Thats pretty good. Does anyone know if you can gain from casting FF at like 51-52 magery?

Bag

Post by Bag »

You do gain from FF @ 51 magery, but your gains in magery will be slow compared to resist since you can literally gain full points of resist for each FF, compared to a chance at .1 magery.

If your char starts 50 magery / 0 resist, you'll end up around 51 magery (real) / 55 resist. From there, you can LB to 62 magery / 61ish resist, then EB to 82 magery / 70ish resist. FF to kingdom come from there.

I had to go through maybe 4500 silk/ash while @ GM magery to finish resist, though. Maybe more?

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Bag wrote:I had to go through maybe 4500 silk/ash while @ GM magery to finish resist, though. Maybe more?
Christ. What about hiring mage NPCs and having them cast at you?
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Bag

Post by Bag »

waste of time. they just run out of mana and the gains are minimal at best. man up and smash your head against the wall a few nights - you'll GM it.

edit: you could always do a resist session, too. meteor shower amounts essentially to being flamestruck over and over. I can't make the schedule normally for resist sessions so I just bought my way there.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yea those npc mages run out of mana fast.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

IMO buy to 30, FF to 55 (it is not worth starting with 55 resist since it takes about 20 minutes and you get good stat gains). You can even macro firefield by having one account
Firefield macro wrote: acct 1 (gm mage):
Castspell firefield
absolute target (ground)
wait 120s

acct 2 (healer):
Apply bandage
absolte target (char gaining resist)
Wait 6s (the extra 1s is to allow the character to take damage so you don't get the message "that being is not damaged!"

acct 3 (char gaining): begin macro standing 1 tile north of healer
Move:east
Wait 0.25s
Move:west
Wait 0.25s
Move:west
Wait 0.25s
Move:east
wait 0.25s
if (hp=<40) //this part stops the character moving at low health so it doesnt continue walking to it's death
Wait for (hp>=80)
end if

Put boxes on either side of the moving character as a failsafe, it can never move outside of the 3 tile zone where the healer can reach him. You might even like to go 0-55 for the easy stat gains, rather than buying skill to 30
Magery in this guide is always taken in BASE SKILL

From 55-65, you can do this in 1000 lightning regs (or less) and it will take your character from 50-62 magery. You can actually start ebolting on a new char for fast magery gains (you will fizzle a lot but magery will still go up), and your resist will increase, but the lightning will increase it far more quickly.

65- ~82, 2000? ebolts, should be around 80 magery

82-90+ will be around 4000FS, you should GM magery at this point

Then around 5-6k FS to gm.

Costs about 80k all up. I reccommend leaving eval until last, makes the macro process faster. I have multiple gm mages now and some of them I keep at 0 eval so I can safely use them to gain resist. You can go 90-GM resist in 2 nights with 3 chars casting.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

jabzor

Post by jabzor »

Firefield up to 55.0 real, from 0.0 this takes 30 min tops.

1. Go to Wind and other towns with mages, hire every npc mage (100 gp ea).. you should be able to rack-up 30+ the first trip and they will continue to spawn if you go back later for more.
2. Mark a rune 1 tile outside guard-zone in an area where you can throw an explode pot at them without getting guards called on you.
- I suggest the southern entrance to Delucia, just outside the gate.
3. Place 4 boxes around the area you marked the rune so you can trap the mages
4. Gate all of the mages on to that spot, then teleport out of that spot to your safety zone
5. Setup a healer bot with 1k bandaids 1 tile away from you, further toward guard zone.
6. Gather some lesser explode pots, only really need 1 though
7. Huck an explode potion at them, each attack will do 1 damage as you are in town but they are not, though you still gain resist.
8. When you get to 20hp, backup 1 tile and auto-cure and auto-heal, then step forward again.

2k bandage @ 3gp ea, 30mages @ 100gp each = 9k gold to gm resist in a single-night - you will level the mages as you go, the further you go the higher their intel and magery levels get. You could macro all of this and just watch tv, though be sure to trade-out the boxes every 10 min or so with your healer or another alt or they will decompose. Mages will eventually 'go wild' from lack of pay, but will still attack you.

Get enough mages (not hard), and this is FAR faster than self-casting or using a single alt, or even standard resist sessions - 30 flamestrikes/ebolts/explosions at a time and you will gain consistently to GM.
Want to make it even quicker, self-cast cure before the healer bandaids you up an you can get back in the fight quicker.

LNP

Post by LNP »

Thanks all, especially Pirul for info on Firewall to 55. I was just standing in one spot on the wall and didn't gain any after 10 firefields, and then realized I might get better gains running up and down. It is crucial to run up and down the firefield :)

LNP

Post by LNP »

Yeah, the FF stops gaining resist at 55 for sure, which is what I'm at right now. Also, does it matter what the person's magery level is at when gaining resist? Like, I'm at 80 magery casting Lightning on myself. Would it be better if I had someone at 65 magery casting lightning on my self ?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

LNP wrote:Yeah, the FF stops gaining resist at 55 for sure, which is what I'm at right now. Also, does it matter what the person's magery level is at when gaining resist? Like, I'm at 80 magery casting Lightning on myself. Would it be better if I had someone at 65 magery casting lightning on my self ?
It doesn't seem to make much difference, but now gains are partially based on damage, so I might even think the higher magery would help.

There have been changes lately and I would reccommend GMing eval before starting your resist gains. I recently made a tamer who does not use eval, and 50-GM magery didn't even get me to 90 resist (30 eval). Other people report gaining up to 95-96 resist by the time they GM magery, with GM eval.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE