can you steal in towns without getting guardwhacked?

Topics related to Second Age
Moriarti

can you steal in towns without getting guardwhacked?

Post by Moriarti »

i'm almost gm in stealing but every time i try to steal from someone in town i get instantly whacked by the guards

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: can you steal in towns without getting guardwhacked?

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You can, but the odds are slim.

It's based on how heavy the item is.

Sometimes you get away with it and stay blue, sometimes you turn grey, and sometimes you turn grey and get whacked.

Oh yeah, proximity to other players/npcs also plays a role in success

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Odds are really crappy. There was an AFK player with a vanq broadsword in Sweet Dreams Inn, I tried to steal it about 10 times with GM stealing and got guardwhacked every time. There was 1 NPC patrolling the area.

I've also been gwhacked for stealing 1 stone items many times - stealing in town just isn't worth it
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

The other night a buddy and I found a few people afk at cartography shops with a few thousand gold on their person. The hardest part to stealing in town is the damn NPC's.

If you find some afk in a shop or something around NPC's that move. Try using the (NPC NAME) Move command, to get the NPCs outta line of sight. My Buddy had all the npcs in the cartography shop corraled in the corner and just kept doing the move command repeatedly, and I was able to clean the guys out safely without getting insta guardwhacked.

Havent tried it since, but It seemed to work that night pretty damn well.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:The other night a buddy and I found a few people afk at cartography shops with a few thousand gold on their person. The hardest part to stealing in town is the damn NPC's.

If you find some afk in a shop or something around NPC's that move. Try using the (NPC NAME) Move command, to get the NPCs outta line of sight. My Buddy had all the npcs in the cartography shop corraled in the corner and just kept doing the move command repeatedly, and I was able to clean the guys out safely without getting insta guardwhacked.

LOS should have no bearing on the NPCs calling, unless they are 10+ tiles and not close enough to "witness the crime". I believe this has already been patched in.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Officer Blade

Post by Officer Blade »

If you are Lucky enough to Steal and not get Caught by the town Guards,

You will have Me and my Guildmates to Deal With.

we are a bit more relentless than the Whimpy Town Guards!
Inspector Blade

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

nightshark wrote:
Arkosh Kovasz wrote:The other night a buddy and I found a few people afk at cartography shops with a few thousand gold on their person. The hardest part to stealing in town is the damn NPC's.

LOS should have no bearing on the NPCs calling, unless they are 10+ tiles and not close enough to "witness the crime". I believe this has already been patched in.
Yea I think your right about LOS no longer matter anymore. It was probably just a distance thing. He moved them well over 10 spots away.

P.S. To avoid the COPS, don't use WBB, because that's the only place I've ever seen them patrol.

Moriarti

Post by Moriarti »

is this era accurate? i seem to remember with gm stealing being able to steal in towns

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You can steal in towns, just do it away from npc's and make sure you get 25 tiles away from a player before they call guards.

BPD is a threat to nobody, except maybe Eddennis, Waffles, and whatever Tabius calls his thief.

Officer Blade

Post by Officer Blade »

MatronDeWinter wrote:You can steal in towns, just do it away from npc's and make sure you get 25 tiles away from a player before they call guards.

BPD is a threat to nobody, except maybe Eddennis, Waffles, and whatever Tabius calls his thief.
Don't forget David Spade .. he is my Favorite!! he dies Purty
Inspector Blade

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

stealing in town is great.. if you dont mind playing a naked character and dying constantly.

Unstablecorn

Post by Unstablecorn »

Or you can just set up a peace making bot. Done deal.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

nightshark wrote:Odds are really crappy. There was an AFK player with a vanq broadsword in Sweet Dreams Inn, I tried to steal it about 10 times with GM stealing and got guardwhacked every time. There was 1 NPC patrolling the area.

I've also been gwhacked for stealing 1 stone items many times - stealing in town just isn't worth it
You should have said "(name) move" until he was in the lower left corner, out of line of sight, then stole it, or hit em once with a deadly poisoned nooby dagger. . . ass. :lol:
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Kabal wrote:
nightshark wrote:Odds are really crappy. There was an AFK player with a vanq broadsword in Sweet Dreams Inn, I tried to steal it about 10 times with GM stealing and got guardwhacked every time. There was 1 NPC patrolling the area.

You should have said "(name) move" until he was in the lower left corner, out of line of sight, then stole it, or hit em once with a deadly poisoned nooby dagger. . . ass. :lol:
rofl i can't believe you're so petty about me calling you on out of being ignorant in trash talk... a month ago? you must have been crying yourself to sleep for a while over that one, you seem pretty butt-hurt about it :roll:

fyi it was my first attempts at stealing on this shard, i eventually made a noob character to entice the NPC out of los. i was ressing the char on an alt so it maybe took about 5 mins of my time. but yeah, that makes absolutely 0 difference to the fact that stealing in town just isn't worth it.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Can NPC's call Guards while enticed even in LOS? I thought the music distracted them to the point of oblivious.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.