Perma-Red

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Perma-Red

Post by Mens Rea »

If I recall correctly, if a player was to go red to blue back and forth a certain amount of times then they would become perma-red.

Am I right??? AM I RIGHT???????

venox

Re: Perma-Red

Post by venox »

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There was a perma-red "ping-pong" system in effect for a short time, introduced in late 1999 I believe. With long term counts added, ping-ponging wouldn't be an issue I don't believe.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

From what I know, the ping pong counter was used until at least the introduction of UOR, and possiblly some time in to UOR.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Perma Red was when you went red short term 3 times. The third time you go red you stay red. That's how it was. I thought it was a pretty stiff but its era accurate, and was in effect up until the end of the t2a age. So if were going with 100 percent accuracy then it would be part of that. That said I really didn't like this rule and I'm glad its not in play. I don't think its necessary on a mostly veteran player base free shard especially with the long term system being what it is. So i guess ill take it as confirmed that there is no perma red here. It is kind of important to know for long term characters. Like i don't like to pk people for the sake of killing but if you give me a reason to kill you then i don't want to care what color your name is or what my murder count is. If i go murderous for a few hours because of this then Im fine with that. But over the entire course of the characters life I don't want him to eventually become limited to being only red. You can go perma red only killing 8 people. If you kill 5 people you go red. If you burn off one count and go blue then kill someone you go red again. Then if you burn off another count going back to blue a second time and then kill again going red a third time boom your permanently red and you've only killed 8 people. The ping pong rule wasnt meant to punish characters who were going to be red murderers anyway. Its more about people who want to play blue pks. No perma red plz dont care about era accuracy on this issue

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Eaglestaff wrote: dont care about era accuracy on this issue

ermm...lets just pull a few clips from the UOSA website:

We will stay as accurate to the Pre-UO:R/T2A era as we can.

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.

We believe that "proper" gameplay can only be achieved by taking the era as a whole and accept it for what it was. Tampering with the era in hope of achieving balance is not something that we will do, nor do we believe is achievable across all playstyles.

With that said, we do still continue to strive to become more correct and true to the era.

I guess I could keep posting snippets like these but I'm pretty sure you get the idea.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I remember it being 5 times. If you went red/blue 5 times, you got stuck being red. We had 2 guys on Lake Superior who were always around Bucs and always red (they did it on purpose cause it was "exciting") former LS players may remember "Damage INC" and "Paul Atr..." (I'm not sure how it was spelt, so I won't even attempt it :P )
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Faust

Post by Faust »

Perma red should be implemented here. We are using the the color text to easier point out statloss status or not. This introduces an inconsistancy in the system since perma red doesn't exist and that does. This will also keep the system in check towards how it should be limiting people from blue pking, which was the main objective with the introduction of long term counts.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Kryptonical, Faust-

I suggested that Id prefer going era inaccurate on this issue because in the course of my researching whether or not perma-red was in play I found Derrick had mentioned he was going to leave this issue up to a vote or something along those lines. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that quote again for you. My statement wasn't meant to derail the vision of the shard but just to add my personal feelings on an issue that to my understanding is open to negotiation. I fully support the shards vision of era accuracy. I am under the the impression that this is one exception. My language was a little strong when I said I didn't care. I do. I take it back. The shard has a healthy vision.
Last edited by Eaglestaff on Sat May 16, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

There are many exceptions for many reasons, usually to avoid cheese tactics, and what our currently used (5.0.8.3) client can do.

examples

Cheese tactics = Blessed house deed (era accurate apparently). You would keep a deed on you and in battle drop the house and log.

Client ability = T2A Mounts, the fact that were playing with a UOR paperdoll / status / group ect, that is why we have secure trading and secure mount trading.

Everything elce is lobbied here in the Era Accuracy forum. I don't know what decides outcome, but I'm sure a lot of thought is put into each change as this server becomes closer to T2A.

What I would really like would be a set day stated on the website. If its the day before UOR came out, then were missing the bola ball orcs ect. if its months before that, wheres my paralize no counts. Saying T2A era is very hard becuase it was a very uncertian time where things changed weekly.

I love it here, the staff are so good its silly. I'ts just after playing here for a bit the term T2A Era sounds like a buzzword.. wheres my homestyle, organic, corn fed UO server?

Oh, and I don't mind If perma red went live, I don't pK. (hey, you guys said it when my thief got nerfed)

Tekai
OlmanRiver
[broken image]

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Newbie items gone upon ressing when red?

Went red and lost my newbie items when I ressed at chaos. I dont remember if this is accurate. What happened was killed this afk miner and then was running through town and all of a sudden I get guard whacked. I'm thinking to myself he must have just got back to his computer and reported me. So I went to chaos and ressed but now there's nothing on me but a death robe. No newbie knife or clothes. This character doesn't use magery but if this is something that is supposed to happen when your red does it also mean your spellbook can get looted?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Newby items do indeed fall on your corpse if you are red.

spell books are "blessed" which is different.
[broken image]

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Well like i said then this must have been some weird occurrence that happened to me because my newbie pants, dagger, and shoes were not on me when i ressed at the chaos shrine. Might have something to do with getting guard whacked in town the moment you are reported for your fifth murder. Other than that there weren't any other unusual conditions that Im aware of that could have caused this. This character did not have a spellbook on him tho to begin with but im assuming that if he did then he would have lost that as well. Anyways i suppose ill move this over to the appropriate board.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Eaglestaff wrote:Well like i said then this must have been some weird occurrence that happened to me because my newbie pants, dagger, and shoes were not on me when i ressed at the chaos shrine. Might have something to do with getting guard whacked in town the moment you are reported for your fifth murder. Other than that there weren't any other unusual conditions that Im aware of that could have caused this. This character did not have a spellbook on him tho to begin with but im assuming that if he did then he would have lost that as well. Anyways i suppose ill move this over to the appropriate board.
If you were guardwhacked in town for being reported for a 5th short term count, then your "newbied" items should have remained on your corpse. You should res with a spellbook and any other item you have that may be "blessed". I see nothing unusual about this.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

There should be Perma-Red characters/communities...a reknown murderer is, that's all to say about that. Yet there should be sanctuary for them as well in the form of guilds/societies/towns that harbour such desperate individuals who prey on characters after they are weak and wounded on most occasions. We should not blur the distinction of good and evil just to allow pcs to be sneaky theiving murderers unless they have incognito casted upon their person.