Will desync ever be fixed?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Re: Will desync ever be fixed?

Post by Psilo »

It does seem like it happens here more than other shards I've played on. I mean I've never felt the need to set a resync hotkey on other shards but on this one I'm just gonna have to do it.
This is what I mean, okay it may happens on other servers but not nearly as much as on UOSA.

I should know I played other player-run servers with t2a combat(where it is important to use a halberd as a mage) and it's definitely a deal breaker in pvp.

What I've also noticed is that other shards seem to just generally feel smoother than UOSA, which is a shame. I logged on another shard the other day and ran around doing things and never had desync once. In my case the problem lies with UOSA, I am not doubting that other shards don't have it. It's just rare for some people and many people have no clue what desync is on this one particular shard that is well-populated.

In any case, I am a little behind on the latest core upgrades from the RunUO team (yes, RunUO is very much in active development) there are some exceptional upgrades to the network code in the latest publishes which I am going to focus on merging into Second Age. I started on that this morning after noticing this post last night. I'm not through it all, and although sincerely doubt he'd ever see this thread, thanks much to Mark of RunUO for what looks like some great network code updates. I don't think there is much aimed at this problem though, I can't see a clear way to fix it, it's been a problem for a long time, and the RunUO team has much more experience and competence than I do in the UO client-server network code.
Thanks Derrick! You are the man.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Psilo wrote:
This is what I mean, okay it may happens on other servers but not nearly as much as on UOSA.
[citation needed]
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Ganondorf

Post by Ganondorf »

Before blaming the server then you should do a nice ping to check for packet loss first, and get that fixed, then check again. High ping will also be bad but in that case you can't even run properly. You shouldn't even be running with packet loss and the server should deny walking and resynch automatically, i remember it happening on osi if i had packet loss issues.

Now i suppose the loginserver is on the same server or at least on the same network as the game server, so try this command in the command prompt:

Code: Select all

ping login.uosecondage.com -n 50
Good packet loss should be 0%. I read sometimes on the web that low packet loss ratios are acceptable, they aren't for this game. When everything is working and normal, packet loss should be 0. Wifi is bad for gaming in general, don't use that for any online game.

I've read about battleping a few months ago but never used it, it might help if you have internet routing issues. I'll try it out in the coming days and see if it helps. Might be an idea, i'll let you know if it's useful.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

BobDobbs wrote:
Psilo wrote:
[citation needed]

i played a different server for about 6 years. i probably desynced once a week, if that. i certainly never bothered setting a resync hotkey.

i desync here once or twice an hour, sometimes more, depending on what i'm doing. i know i desync ALOT more here than i did over there.

however, my connection is now wireless (used to be predominantly wired) and i pinged 15-20 to the last shard i played whereas i ping ~100 to uosa now. as long as i have a resync key it doesn't bother me too much.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Testing your connection to UOSA with a wired connection could explain whether the issue is UOSA or the wireless. Wireless is notoriously awful for online gaming.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

BobDobbs wrote:Wireless is notoriously awful for online gaming.
[citation needed]

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

UOSA Last.fm group!

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

ive played here with a wired connection aswell, haven't noticed any difference in latency (maybe 5-10ms difference), packetloss or desync.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Mikel123 wrote:
BobDobbs wrote:Wireless is notoriously awful for online gaming.
[citation needed]
I put DD-Wrt onto a Linksys wireless N router, and I almost never desync now compared to before. I ping around a 5-20, and have to press my resync only once a day or so, if that.

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

I've never had to resync here.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Ganondorf wrote:Before blaming the server then you should do a nice ping to check for packet loss first, and get that fixed, then check again. High ping will also be bad but in that case you can't even run properly. You shouldn't even be running with packet loss and the server should deny walking and resynch automatically, i remember it happening on osi if i had packet loss issues.

Now i suppose the loginserver is on the same server or at least on the same network as the game server, so try this command in the command prompt:

Code: Select all

ping login.uosecondage.com -n 50
Good packet loss should be 0%. I read sometimes on the web that low packet loss ratios are acceptable, they aren't for this game. When everything is working and normal, packet loss should be 0. Wifi is bad for gaming in general, don't use that for any online game.

I've read about battleping a few months ago but never used it, it might help if you have internet routing issues. I'll try it out in the coming days and see if it helps. Might be an idea, i'll let you know if it's useful.

I'm newbie as far as networking and connetion issues. How do I test my ping to UOSA and check for packetloss?

Does having my ping spike at times mean packetloss?

For instance whenever I type - ping sometimes it says 100 avg, then typing it 2 seconds later it will be 140 and then sometimes 200. With that I can see an obvious "spike" and in a confined dueling arena this puts me at a huge disadvantage(tournaments and any enclosed area).

I need to find out if I'm having packetloss. I can run fine it's just these occasional spikes that are costing me, they are more noticeable obviously when pvping. And if I am having packetloss how can I remedy this issue?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:http://www.pingtest.net/
Hmmmm.... Unable to test packet Loss lol.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Psilo wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:http://www.pingtest.net/
Hmmmm.... Unable to test packet Loss lol.

Yeah, that's probably not good. Time to disable any router/anti-virus/firewall and call your broadband provider.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

find UOTrace.exe

I love that program. I have no clue what you guys are talking about with 99% of this stuff, but it's a very very simple thing that just lets you ping the server like 30 times and it returns min, max and avg ping time as well as packet loss.