Allow red potions only in tourneys

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Re: Allow red potions only in tourneys

Post by Psilo »

Panthor the Hated wrote:you dont need a free hand for food nerd
Goto trash talk if you aren't going to be constructive in my thread.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Perhaps a better question here would be... why are there tournaments without yellow/orange/green/purple potions in the first place?

Seems like that's one reason that this discussion has come up. If all tournaments allowed all potions, there'd be no need for special red potion or food rules.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Panthor the Hated wrote:you dont need a free hand for food nerd

plus eating doesnt take any time, if you think having to eat multiple times is hard then you're doing it wrong
This is especially so for a dexer, who doesn't need to be pounding hotkeys in order to cast and target spells. Pretty much eat food and attack last...unless you want to be fancy and switch weapons every now and again.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

there are tournaments with all diff rulesets, play in the one whos ruleset you like
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Ardos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ardos »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
RoadKill wrote: The way I look at it is, macers get the major stamina drain. Swordsmen get the big hally hit. Allowing unlimited stamina refresh pretty much removes one of the perks to picking mace fighting. Might as well let heal potions be allowed so macers can negate the big hally hit a little easier (which would not be negated at all considering you can swing a hally faster than you can chug heal pots)
No no, redpotsonly is so that when two dexers fight they don't run out of stamina and drag out the fight until sudden death. It has nothing to do with the hally-cycling exploit that did not exist in such a drastic form during actual t2a...

:roll:
I totally agree. The current system is more of a hybrid/dexxer type thing from after uor with anat/eval mages that got special blows and did not need wrestling. In t2a I remember more spell cycling and thought out dumps than the current haly cycling that is completely dependent on "dice rolls" i.e. how many consecutive hits you can land, and if your harms in between actually interupt your opponent or if they resist it. I do enjoy the current pvp, but it is not as i remembered it.
aka WoozyRargar, Kinarah

morganm

Post by morganm »

Why is infinite hunger and spamming 'eat food' macro better than allowing red pots ?

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

both are wrong

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

why are people trying to compare pvp in 1999 to 2010/2011

connections are much better + we have better utility programs like razor to enhance gameplay, nobody has to drop explo/eb + hally and hope they land enough damage to make a kill, its all about strategy and tactics now

sure you can still use those techniques but you're only going to use all your mana and lose in the long run, seems pretty simple thats why those tactics dont work anymore, pvp has changed and so have the tactics
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

More has changed than connection and razor.....we use RUNUO for heaven sakes. We will continue to find inaccuracies with mechanics because RUNUO is very inaccurate compared to real OSI in 1999.

why are people trying to compare pvp in 1999 to 2010/2011
Because this shard strives to replicate mechanics from 1999.
sure you can still use those techniques but you're only going to use all your mana and lose in the long run, seems pretty simple thats why those tactics dont work anymore, pvp has changed and so have the tactics
The reason why old tactics aren't effective is because the mechanics on UOSA allow the hally to be spammed ridiculously fast. You can literaly spam the hally fast enough to interupt a explo e bolt combo. And the reason people run out of mana is because most mages fight in a similar way. Everyone knows how to exploit the hally mechanic and its assumed your opponent is going to hally spam so you gotta be ready and equip your hally everytime. It's very effective at eating mana up no doubt.

PVP was more balanced and skill-based in 1999, another good reason why era accuracy is something to strive for.

Like Woozyrarger, I am not saying I don't find the current pvp fun. I just think we can improve upon what we already have.

Hally cycling inaccuracies is obviously another thread of its own though so let's kinda keep on the discussion of why we should or shouldn't have red potions in the standard 1v1 tournament.
Last edited by Psilo on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

You seem to have a very idealized and inaccurate view of the past psilo, the game was not balanced in 99. Tank mages ruled the day, many of the tactics used here could have and in some instances were used in era but there were a greater number of people who did not understand the system. Plus the era we are emulating really didn't last that long so to master the intricacies of a pvp system that matches what we are aiming to copy in a few months was unlikely to happen.

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

Striving for accurate mechanics within a custom event system will always fail.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

An exception for red potions doesn't seem like a lot to ask. We can already eat food, so red potions seems like a good thing to allow an exception for as well. I believe it will improve both mage and dexer fights. We're not forcing anyone to use red potions, feel free to continue using free-use food as your way to restore stamina.

Maybe we should have a poll? :)

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

allowing red pots will only encourage hally cycling imo
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.