PKing

Moderator: Support Moderators

Skyrender

PKing

Post by Skyrender »

Is it pretty common on this shard? Had two characters on at once training different skills while I was afk and both got PKed. One was in cove, another in minoc. Being new, I don't really have the gold to replace their equips and runebooks... =/ Kinda takes all my motivation out of playing.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: PKing

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You were macroing in town with runebooks on your person...
:?
Thieves nab more runebooks that way.

Lots of things to learn, and most of the things require you to be the victim firsthand to understand what you are dealing with here.

Runebooks are a dime a dozen if you know where to look. Otherwise try to get in good with someone so they will take you under their roof...literally.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Skyrender

Post by Skyrender »

PKed again, this time right after a long session of grinding, not afk. All my equips and gold gone.
I love the game, and I did back in 99, but now I see why they made Trammel, just impossible to progress like this, lost all interest in this shard. Staying would be masochism.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Skyrender, stay a while.

The problem is not as big as it has seemed to you.

Jump on channel #C^V on IRC, and we'll help you get to a positon so, not only will you be able to get away, but you'll be able to fight back, if that's what you wish.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Skyrender

Post by Skyrender »

You make an intriguing offer. I've joined, if for not other reason than to chat with other UO players.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Are you kidding?? Of course it's worth it!! UO always is!!

I'm heading out to a meeting, but I'll talk to you on IRC later.

Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Thanks Pirul, if your lot are too busy im also 100% my lot will also help, alas though at the moment i have placed recruitment on hold for DG untill i can repay the fee for the add ons, but more than welcome to chat in IRC #dg or even hunt with C^V or DG when we go out.
Tiny DG

Dr Penie

Post by Dr Penie »

Hey guys.

It's great to be back on uo but like the original poster I am having trouble doing anything without being pk'ed.

Tonight it was running back to town to bank some gp. I don't mind the killing but it is the taking of EVERYTHING as well as hounding u and not letting u return to your body to take whatever they have left.

Am wondering how I:
a) save money for housing, good armor, regs etc and;
b) how do I train so I don't get axed everytime I leave town.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

There are a lot of great beginner's guides in the Guides forum. There you will also find a wealth of information related to skill training - including safe and efficient/low cost ways to build a reasonable character.

Good luck.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Dr, the same offer I made to the OP still stands: jump on #C^V, we'll do our best to help you make it. Also, if your playing time does not match ours, try #DG, they're a decent bunch too.

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

Dr Penie wrote:Hey guys.

It's great to be back on uo but like the original poster I am having trouble doing anything without being pk'ed.

Tonight it was running back to town to bank some gp. I don't mind the killing but it is the taking of EVERYTHING as well as hounding u and not letting u return to your body to take whatever they have left.

Am wondering how I:
a) save money for housing, good armor, regs etc and;
b) how do I train so I don't get axed everytime I leave town.
The bad news for you is that the killing and the dry looting pretty much go together. Some people claim to "enjoy" the "fun" and "thrill" of getting PKed, but I think the fun's pretty much being had by one side, not the other. If you don't want to keep restocking yourself, don't put yourself in a situation where you're going to get killed.

I guess the two ways to do this are to play with a large group (like with the CV or DG folks that responded previously) or (if you play solo) by staying in the Guard zone until you've achieved your list in "(a)" above. Once you have a small house, you can usually achieve "(b)" pretty easily.

Specifically, here's how I made enough to buy a small house + regs for a tank mage inside a week:
1. Create a character with 50 mining and 50 smithing, and start in Minoc.
2. There's a mountain and 2 caves north of minoc with forges and a blacksmith right next to the guardzone. Work your way from one cave to the next, mining all the mountainsides in between, and smelting as you get full.
3. Once you have a healthy stock of ingots, start making daggers and selling them at the arms shops and blacksmiths. Sell about 40 daggers at each shop (the price you get drops dramatically after that).
4. Leaving EVERYTHING in the bank, head down to the moongate and go to the next town, pull your ingots out, and make/sell daggers at each town you can.

One afternoon of this and you'll have plenty of money for regs, mark scrolls (buy from a player vendor), runes, and runebooks. Mark runes at the locations you're hitting frequently to expedite the process above. Rinse and repeat and you'll soon have enough money to buy a house and the regs you need to train a mage. I never got Pked once, it was (mostly) risk-free and easy money, if not tedius (but so is fighting the UO AI, let's be honest).
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I recently started a brand new character on this shard which has no relation to any of my other characters. The idea was to do it entirely for fun and not to build a character in itself (I could easily do that without "playing"). Playing with 1 other person and only playing together, I'd estimate it took us around 10 hours of play time before we obtained our small house. In that time I was PKed once, by a blue character. Which was entirely my fault for not buying magery up to 35 (fizzled recall scroll a few times).

The only time I even bumped into any reds were when I went to high profile locations like Lich Lords and Cyclops Valley - when I went to those places, PKs took a matter of minutes to show up. The way it should be. If you are not a strong enough player to defend yourself in those locations, then stay out.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

The PKing really isn't as bad as some folks make it out to be here. There are servers where you can't be PK'd at all and if being PK'd is going to bother you a lot you might want to play elsewhere, but if you want a thrilling, challenging, and rewarding server then this is probably the best one available.

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

Why are people still replying to this thread, didn't Skyrender already leave this shard? He hasn't posted on this thread since early March.

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Dr. Penie bumped it because he had similar concerns.

Return to “New Player Help”