99' Test center Changes

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

99' Test center Changes

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

We have alot of this implemented but look at the potions an alchemist could make and the hinting towards necromancy...

Did the potions at least go live? Only the necromancy thing they said needed a patch before it was ready.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... be9916194c
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

marmalade

Re: 99' Test center Changes

Post by marmalade »

wow, i've never seen/heard anything about this.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

It sounds like they had it ready to go on test...
That would be an awesome addition.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

These new additions for alchemy were both still on test center as of the two April HoC chats. The first chat has a brief question alluding to some of what was covered in that test center post, but the second chat indicates that the system as a whole was being rewritten. Unfortunately, all of these changes went completely missing and were never discussed after April of 99.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Glamdring> *Seren* Question, Is there something wrong with the Nightmare Spawns of Lake Superior. I've been told that the Dev Team controls them and the rangers are in need of a challenge.
Faceless> The Dev Team does not control the spawn of any creature. Keeping the area clear of creatures helps improve the rate of the harder ones.
http://web.archive.org/web/200005250008 ... 990408.htm

Does this work here?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is probably a mix of PR type information to keep players in the dark about the spawn system on OSI servers and truth. "Spawn blocking" as it is called, was the main documented reason why creatures such as Nightmares were so rare. A player had to take a creature out of the awareness of the sub-server that it was on for a new one to respawn. If it was not move to another server, the home server for the spawned creature would still keep track of it and would consider it spawned and block the spawning of a replacement creature. This was made much more problematic because players would typically stable their animals in Delucia or Papua, making it much easier to block the spawn with little effort. Beyond that, there is documented evidence that can still be seen on the high resolution spawn map from Stratics (not updated at all from 1999), that talks about area spawns that spawned a variety of creatures. If one area was overrun with one type of creature, killing off creatures that were spawned as part of the same batch spawn would potentially allow other spawns to take their place. This may have been possible with Nightmares as they could have been paired up with other tougher spawns, but information to for or against that theory hasn't really surfaced.

To an extent we have this replicated on UOSA, but it doesn't reflect the spawns too accurately because we don't have spawn blocking, nor do we approach spawns in the same method as OSI.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

I've played test center during this period.

Mostly remember the chameleon skin potion, made you transparent, like the ethereal mounts.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31

It was kinda fun.

-Bicchus Dicchus