events - prepare for e-rage.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
iamantitype

Re: events - prepare for e-rage.

Post by iamantitype »

Yeah I see your point Panthor.
The YMCA didn't just have a no fighting back policy, it was just a no pvp at all policy. Even consensual pvp was to be taken elsewhere.

But don't you think people would post up at tourneys to defend the participants? If Sandro fell under constant attack by TG, like your example, don't you think he'd muster up more cr3w and other friends to help defend him so he could concentrate on getting through a tourney?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

TG tried to grief my CTC events a couple times. One time both teams uber dropped on them and killed one of their stat reds... they didn't come back.

I've done a pretty good job of defending these in the past... and well... if you show up to greif a PvP event... you better have bigger numbers then the amount of people involved.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Truth rose

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I'm gonna be right up front and say I skipped the last 7 pages or so.
I can't say which side of the fence I really fall on, but I can give my point of view about the fun of this shard.

I am an adventurer and as such, I like to go on adventures. I'm an old school (Ultima VII) player and exploring and slaying monsters, etcetera, is what I like to do. Even moreso, with friends, which is why I love UO.

I've taken part in a few events so far, CTF, Monster Bash and most recently, the so-called 'Pure Dexer' 1v1. While I appreciate the safety of these events, I also agree there should be at least an even balance of Non-guard zone events, of like or other type.

I see nothing at all that provides interest or motivation for WARRIORS. If it weren't for Razor, the saturation of mage PKs would be reason enough to not play here, unless you play like everyone else.

If you're going to have candy-ass events catered to safety and keeping your goods, in the very least make some for ALL COMBATIVE PLAYER TYPES, please.
I have a mage or two, sure, but my warrior is intended to be such and in my mind (maybe I'm crazy here) warriors (especially named Sturm) should not use magic, unless by scroll or potion. However, I can't avoid it if I want to enjoy myself here, I simply must have enough magery to Recall. Or, just die, a lot until I get enough hotkeys and macros to counter tank mages.

So yes, era-accurate events would be dangerous and true success would require teamwork (for either PKs or parties of do-gooders like myself) in order to get the fame and reward of the event. That's the point.

As it stands now, these events are catered to mages and perhaps that might balance out if they weren't protected by the rules of the event arena.

Pure Warriors need love too!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Azimer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Azimer »

I wanted to give this post a bump as many weeks and months have passed since automated events were taken out of prime time.

It is obvious that the playerbase has not been cut in half and we still have a shard with basically the same population as when automated events occurred in prime time. IPY 2.0 came out shortly after the automated events schedule was changed and the shard still didn't see any significant drop in players.

Automated Events still cause the same issues talked about in this thread as they did before the change.
Its very clear this shard will continue to exist without automated events and now is the time to be removing them.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if you took away events, in all honesty, speaking from prior attempts at what your topic is aimed toward... the population will decrease severely...

Aside from that the event system is the only thing going for this server. You take away events and UOSA is dead, mark my words.
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

It's not all doom and gloom Guerilla - but if it is, prove it ^_^

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Azimer wrote:I wanted to give this post a bump as many weeks and months have passed since automated events were taken out of prime time.

It is obvious that the playerbase has not been cut in half and we still have a shard with basically the same population as when automated events occurred in prime time. IPY 2.0 came out shortly after the automated events schedule was changed and the shard still didn't see any significant drop in players.

Automated Events still cause the same issues talked about in this thread as they did before the change.
Its very clear this shard will continue to exist without automated events and now is the time to be removing them.
remove events !
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

In all honesty, if toning down events helped the server become more active, I haven't seen it. I played every night before events were cut down and every night after they were - sweep all dungeons every night, pretty much. I'd definitely say there are less people out and about now. In fact I don't even see the people who campaigned for removal of events anymore.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

nightshark wrote:In all honesty, if toning down events helped the server become more active, I haven't seen it. I played every night before events were cut down and every night after they were - sweep all dungeons every night, pretty much. I'd definitely say there are less people out and about now. In fact I don't even see the people who campaigned for removal of events anymore.
typical hours you play are some of the most slow times + its summer time + ipy hit = yeah but events being reduced definitely have helped during prime time hours :P
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Obviously the sample I've taken is from the off peak hours I play. During those hours there is almost noone playing now. I spent around 3-4 hours cycling around dungeons last night (and have been all week) killing stuff and saw 2 people. There was a little bit of action in Bucs directly after the CTF but that was the only time I saw anyone outside dungeons.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

The big problem I see with events is that they give away lots of free money and the prizes have zero to do with the number of participants.

Events should be a prize pool. Entry should cost X gold. The prize pool should then be split among the winners in whatever way everyone sees fit.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Azimer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Azimer »

Guerrilla wrote:You take away events and UOSA is dead, mark my words.

No one is talking about removing events.
We are talking about removing Automated Events and replacing them with something Era Accurate.

nightshark wrote:In all honesty, if toning down events helped the server become more active, I haven't seen it.

Automated Events need to be removed to make the shard more accurate.

There are many inaccurate changes that could "make the shard more active", but thats not the point of this shard and never should be.
Ronk wrote:Events should be a prize pool. Entry should cost X gold. The prize pool should then be split among the winners in whatever way everyone sees fit.

Events should be made accurate. The staff on OSI ran many events in T2A and had a whole staff of Seers just for making events. These events never took place outside normal UO.

The events you describe where people have a entry fee and split a prize pool sounds exactly like what happened with player run events on OSI. These events were all run by players and they could split the prize pool anyway the participants see fit.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Azimer wrote: Events should be made accurate. The staff on OSI ran many events in T2A and had a whole staff of Seers just for making events. These events never took place outside normal UO.

The events you describe where people have a entry fee and split a prize pool sounds exactly like what happened with player run events on OSI. These events were all run by players and they could split the prize pool anyway the participants see fit.
Right.

Though to be fair, I think it was Derrick who mentioned the idea behind events is that automated events 'mimic' a seer staff. To have a real seer staff requires not only people, but trusted people. And it paves the wave for abuse.

Automated events CAN work, the problem is the way they work now.

Some thoughts:

1. Stop giving away silver and/or make people pay to enter. Prizes should be based on the number of entrants and the overall system should be net loss or break even for players. In other words, the system should never pay out more than it has taken in. As with anything in UO, there should be some risk (the entry fee) to gain the reward.

2. Revamp the events to get people in the world, not in trammy instances.

Tournaments should be revised and preferably run by a player and/or seer (the seer could have zero powers). They should not be routine off hour pk safe farms. The tournaments should have various rule sets and encourage more than the same boring crap. There could even be player betting on the side to give spectators something to do. They can be in an arena but the arena should be anything goes. If more people want to mess up events than participate and protect them, such is life.

Survival should be replaced with some sort of dungeon scavenger hunt. Then, instead of players standing in a box, its a race for them to head to all of the dungeons and try to kill/find the creature containing some item. Whichever player returns with the most wins. Again, this gets players out and about.

The CTF game should be altered and moved. Instead of an underground trammy gave it should be some player accessible zone. The zone can have no murder counts but spectators can interfere. It should be based off of flag captures, which require teamwork, not off of kills.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock