Surprisingly unbalanced game with classes

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sandslash

Surprisingly unbalanced game with classes

Post by Sandslash »

I haven't played this game for 5 years or more and nostalgy brought me back. I found this server and am playing for couple days and thought, wow, that is one good balanced server, cuz it's all based on skill. But I noticed that magery is involved everywhere and you cannot be a good pvp player without it. In the server where I use to play it was like this:
Mages generally pwnd Warriors
Warriors >>> Archers
Archers >>> Mages
This equilibrium was working due to casting time. Paralyze took 4-5 sec to cast (and there were trapped bags for warriors to explode if you were paralyzed, which took damage though), all spells tooks some time to cast and thereby making possible for other classes to win battles as well and not only magery based ones. Also reduced bandage healing times and few other trivial things, which I could list (if interested).

Raughly saying - mage could run and cast therefore he can kill warrior who has to get near to kill. But if he can't - he will die. Archers were able to kill mages do to their "cast time", time to shoot an arrow was on average lower than casting time of mages, therefore, making spell fizzles to those guyz, howerver, they were pwnt by warriors, who were chasing them and they were not able to shoot whilst running and on short distances *Target too close* and they died.
The same as rock-paper-scissors game. And here teamwork would be of whole different matter. Imagine of possibilities you are missing by not applying this aproach of pvp.

This game type as well would never be out of balance, because people always think - who to create to be most efficient in battle, if there will be too much mages - archers will start to appear and when there will be too many archers people will tend to create warriors. Think about it!

I started to play here hoping that things will be similar and I will be able to avoid magic class that I hate.
No chance this might come to life in future? Or am I just being naive and should stop playin here ?
This feature would create colourful pvp's and tournaments as I remember them from when I use to play within this system

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Surprisingly unbalanced game with classes

Post by MatronDeWinter »

There are really only two classes that have any playability in this regard. The tank mage and the warrior. The warrior is only the better choice when magic weapons are allowed, and even then, this is only beneficial when the victim cannot run, in a duel put or something. Outside of that exception, the tank mage is the best 1v1 class. During T2A this was the case, but not for the reasons here. It was very likely that explode-eb-hally would kill someone, or at least get them close to death where it became a game of "can you heal yourself before you lag and the tank kills you" (probably due to everyones generally low resist). On UOSA the tank mage is the popular choice because of a popular halberd exploit that has still gone unproven to exist in the form it does (as far as I am concerned). The tank is popular because of it's ability to use the halberd every 2-3 seconds and then finish with a spell. After so many years of free-shard play, I think that people have just become in favor of this exploitative hally style of play.

So basically no, your hierarchy of classes does not apply here. Archers are easily the most usless class outside of some PvM and Stealth applications. Warriors cannot keep up with the tank mages ability to almost out DPS them with 25 dex and a halberd. Some could argue for the warrior or mage thief, but if the opponent is properly prepared, that becomes a complete non issue.

If you don't want to play OMGLEETPVPBBQ tank mage duels, you will find the PvP here really disappointing. That being said, there is much more to this game than PvP, and if you cannot think of other ways to amuse yourself outside of that one aspect, well, perhaps UO isn't the game for you. Maybe you should try farmville or CoD.

Sandslash

Post by Sandslash »

Isn't that's the point of playing online ? PvP battles? Otherwise I can play single player games instead. The reason is why I don't want to quit this server is that PvP is the only issue, everything else so far is living up to expectations.

I understand that you've all are used to this system and I'm being Einstein here offering General Relativity. All it is simply broadening the variety of opportunities in the game. How is it bad?

Populus

Post by Populus »

The point of online play is not PvP, although that is my favorite part of online play. It's the interaction between players, not only to meet up with a stranger and incinerate him with a Vas Ort Flam, Corp Por. But also to make trades, kill his horse and watch him weep about trapped boxes being overpowered.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Pac

Post by Pac »

:roll:

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Sandslash wrote:Isn't that's the point of playing online ? PvP battles? Otherwise I can play single player games instead. The reason is why I don't want to quit this server is that PvP is the only issue, everything else so far is living up to expectations.

I understand that you've all are used to this system and I'm being Einstein here offering General Relativity. All it is simply broadening the variety of opportunities in the game. How is it bad?
I hardly think that General Relativity is a good analogy for your comments.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

What you want is not on this shard. That having been said, UO ( like life ) is what you make of it. You can have a hell of a lot of fun here if you accept that.

- L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Heckler

Post by Heckler »

honestly i dont even get the point why ppl try to argue with him......

uosa is here to provide the most accurate Ultima Online feeling that was present during the T2A era, it is doing a god damn hell of a good job doing this, if you dont like it.... dont let the door hit you in the ass when you leave.

if you want t2a grab a seat have a stay and enjoy ur time here :)

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

Heckler wrote:honestly i dont even get the point why ppl try to argue with him......

uosa is here to provide the most accurate Ultima Online feeling that was present during the T2A era, it is doing a god damn hell of a good job doing this, if you dont like it.... dont let the door hit you in the ass when you leave.

LOL LMAOROFL!!! Haha t2a accurate pffff. Is it fun? yea but so was trammel for a shit ton of people but it still isnt t2a accurate and if you claim this is then you might as well bring in trammel and call it a perfect t2a

Heckler

Post by Heckler »

nightmare wrote:
Heckler wrote:honestly i dont even get the point why ppl try to argue with him......

LOL LMAOROFL!!! Haha t2a accurate pffff. Is it fun? yea but so was trammel for a shit ton of people but it still isnt t2a accurate and if you claim this is then you might as well bring in trammel and call it a perfect t2a

and you are ?

Sandslash

Post by Sandslash »

Heckler wrote:and you are ?
Can't you read? He is nightmare! :!: :!: :!: :)