Swing on the run (dexing)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Swing on the run (dexing)

Post by Roser »

Faust wrote:
Rose wrote:Try this by standing still next to a target and cycling your hally. If you have good timing, you will not be interrupted by a wrestle.
The person has to be rather bad and not spamming attack last than. I have conducted numerous tests to pin point precision with macros and programs to see if it's possible to get passed someone spamming attack last. Simple answer, it's not.

When someone is running around for two seconds refreshing you can't force them to wrestle unless they are super slow with a bad connection.

The pvp will come down to running around refreshing hally exchanges just like it did when it existed here briefly.
Oh man... you should stop talking about that until you actually get in the game with me so that I can show you how completely wrong you are.

Where have you been Faust? If the next thing that comes from you on these forums isn't "ok Rose lets get in game and test" then I will assume you are just trolling.

I'm sorry to sound rude, but it's blatantly obvious that you are out of touch with the way things work in game. You don't even seem to recognize that spamming attack last is a thing of the past.

If you do not play this game or haven't in what seems to be years, how can you be expected to make an informed decision?

Get in the game with me Faust, or please stop defending from a place of ignorance.

To speak on evidence: I am helping fight this battle because I genuinely believe that there is an error that needs correcting.

I cannot accept the current evidence for the movement restriction based on the fact that one, the patch note is out of era and is contradictory to current mechanics, two, people who actually played the era find the movement restriction to be inaccurate, and three, dexxing classes are so adversely effected by this mechanic that it is VERY hard to believe something like this would have existed though an entire era without being fixed or even talked about. (I do as much research as I can)

The evidence we have right now for the movement restriction is fallacious and is causing a detrimental effect to a certain aspect of the combat here.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Faust wrote: We are now finished until you finally realize moaning and griping does not equate to a change on this server like the rest that have come and gone due to that process.
Kaivan wrote: Regarding Faust, he is not a staff member on UOSA.
Faust, you may be finished (though you keep posting...), we are not. And given you are not a member of the UOSA staff you have no place to claim this thread or topic is finished.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Faust

Post by Faust »

Ronk, you don't have to be a member of the staff to be here for several years to know how mechanics and era accuracy gets implemented here. Until you or someone else produces something of substantial value that contradicts the work/evidence that Kaivan, Batlin, Derrick, and me have produced for the swing timer nothing will be changed. This is definately my opinion but you sure as hell can bet anything that this will be the case. The only arguments that I have seen so far is "oh this isnt how I remember it being for dexers" or "dexer class sucks. This isn't much of an argument and no one(besides those arguing for it) is going to take such a weak argument serious let alone the staff.

Take these simple steps...
  • Understand and famliarize yourself with the original swing timer code
  • Follow the patch notes for each swing timer change
  • Rewrite the code to include isnta hit
  • Develop a logical thesis for the changes that took place
  • Rewrite the code to include your hypothesis
This is not a hard task to follow if you truly believe you are right and those whom have developed it are wrong.

I also don't believe it's asking much of someone to develop a solid logical process besides a weak argument such as "oh this isnt right because my memory from a decade ago doesn't recall it being this way"... :roll:

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Faust wrote:Ronk, you don't have to be a member of the staff to be here for several years to know how mechanics and era accuracy gets implemented here.
You are arguing against something I didn't say. I never said you didn't know how the mechanics work or how the era accuracy gets implemented. I stated that since you are not a staff member you have to basis to claim that the discussion is closed. That is reserved for forum moderators and staff.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Faust

Post by Faust »

My opinion on the matter is based on the reality of the issue at hand and how past mechanics have been dealth with here.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i admire your persistence on the issue Rose. I gave up on this a long time ago when i quit playing. Hopefully this (now 19 page) thread will bring enough attention to the issue, that the staff will reconsider the current mechanics regarding this problem. Its quite obvious there is a problem. I wish i had the time/dedication to help resolve it, but i do not. I hope your persistence on the matter pays off some day. Maybe ill make some uo play time when that day comes.

I still do check the forums every now and then. I really do believe this server will some day be a perfect t2a emulation in all aspects. But until combat mechanics work correctly, i just dont find enjoyment in playing like i used to.

tanmits

Post by tanmits »

As a person with tank mages and dexers here, but with no time to fight this battle: GO ROSE. There is something seriously wrong here.
S&S Yew: fully stocked bulk reagents, weapons, armor, explosion traps, and fishing spoils. Also, temporarily carrying POTION KEGS!

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

ClowN wrote:i admire your persistence on the issue Rose. I gave up on this a long time ago when i quit playing. Hopefully this (now 19 page) thread will bring enough attention to the issue, that the staff will reconsider the current mechanics regarding this problem. Its quite obvious there is a problem. I wish i had the time/dedication to help resolve it, but i do not. I hope your persistence on the matter pays off some day. Maybe ill make some uo play time when that day comes.

I still do check the forums every now and then. I really do believe this server will some day be a perfect t2a emulation in all aspects. But until combat mechanics work correctly, i just dont find enjoyment in playing like i used to.
Exactly, my friend quit over this dumb thing but tried to get it changed before he quit.

PVP mechanics need a change, Derrick can make the decision and it will do nothing but increase our population and morale.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

There is not a lot of info out there, but I did find a little something that supports swinging on the run.
Google Groups sept 9/98 wrote:Using a bow and heavy crossbow
against a guildmate using 2-handed fencing and swords, and both me and
my guildmate being grandmasters now with our chosen weapon(s), I find
that although each arrow/bolt does more damage, I also seem to miss a
few more shots than my guildmate, and we end up dealing similar damage
to each other during the course of the fight. I used the typical
move/run, stop and shoot method, he kept moving at all times, even when
next to me
(which may very well have made me miss shots, something I'm
beginning to believe), since he did not have to stop to swing. As the
melee weapons used are two-handed weapons, the *only* fix I see
necessary to archery is to remove the ability to quaff potions while
shooting.
Granted this is before the major combat patch of February 2 99. The February patch on the other hand does not deal with swinging on the run at all.

Link : http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... f31a1c4fad

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Same area also has this:
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online
Date: 1998/09/11

Hmm. I may misunderstand you here, but are you saying that moving
resets swing times for melee fighters? Because that is certainly not
the case in my experience. While trying out PvP with a guildmate, my
guildmate using a melee weapon and constantly moving, it seems that the
swing time for melee weapons is reset only when the target becomes out
of range. In other words, he had no problem hitting me while moving
around me in a tight circle, nor did he have any problems when we were
both moving and he maintained contact.

As for archery, well, although an archer can shoot when moving, the
arrow/bolt will miss. Admittedly, there's no reset of the delay between
shots....
-Hawke, Sonoma Ranger(ex-gm archer *again*)
Very nice find rose. Ive been looking for theads like this for a while but it seems like every old threaded area has been taken down.

I do have to laugh though at them discussing archery being a little too powerful. It makes me go hmmmm
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Wow I missed that part Ronk, ha I was only looking for my keywords.

Both of those posts heavily support swinging on the run.
Ronk wrote:Very nice find rose. Ive been looking for theads like this for a while but it seems like every old threaded area has been taken down.
Yes, even the House of Commons Chat cannot be accessed anymore :( I get an error message about a server upgrade that is supposed to be done in "30 minutes"... its been like that for months.

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

Hell yeah, nice work!

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Nice finds. :D
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Excellent, I just read over it a few times and it sounds about right! Hope Derrick looks at this and is in a good mood when he does = )

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I hate to burst my own bubble here but.... It is true that these threads were made about one month before the release of T2A.

It still doesn't change the fact that at some point during the t2a era you could indeed swing on the run (as per demo). I say it would be wise to choose one accurate mechanic over another (providing the movement restriction is accurate at all). This has been done before in regards to choosing between housing phases.

It is a bit obvious that UOSA players favor SOTR, why not appease them when it is perfectly within our limits to do so?