Stop the blockade of stables.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Omnicron

Stop the blockade of stables.

Post by Omnicron »

This is one thing from trammel that should be on this shard.

Total bs that I cannot stable one animal on an entire shard of stable masters. You know damn well there are people who log onto this game once a week just for the sole purpose of refreshing stables.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Stop the blockade of stables.

Post by Ronk »

At the same time this is fixed, we need to get era accurate spawn rates and fix this era inaccurate dragon turrets and everyone and their brother riding a nightmare.

This may be one of those instances where it is easier to mimic the idea of the era rather than the actual rules (by implementing a 5 pet max to every character for stables). However, I would be more in favor of the era accurate approach.

You can search if you want more info on the target but:
1. Most single entity spawns (nightmare, WW, etc) are not suppose to spawn a new one until the original has left the subserver. Thus, if I tame a nightmare and I go stable him in delucia or I drop him in some corner of T2A...a new nightmare will never spawn (until server down/up resets it). But if I bring that mare across 'server lines' to britain...a new mare can spawn.

This goes for mares, WW, ancient wyrms (not that they'd ever be an issue since untamable). It is unclear how accurate this is in regards to dragon spawns.

2. In addition, in the real T2A era there were more people on the shards and more people hunting. This made taming a dragon much more competitive and difficult and, as thus, increased the value of these and the difficulty of having 40 tamed and stabled.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Unfortunately, we can't make a change to stables. The fact that players fill the stables up is an in-game matter regarding the way that players conduct themselves and needs to be sorted out in-game.

Regarding spawn blocking, we do know that spawn blocking existed, and that it existed not only for single spawns, but for all spawns. We also have evidence to suggest that this circumstance persisted even through a server restart, although not all information is consistent on that point. Despite all this, we currently cannot replicate the mechanics of spawn blocking without a complete overhaul to the way that spawns are handled, and that overhaul is not likely to take place any time soon.

As for people on Nightmares, we do know that it was accurate for non-tamers to own and ride them, although I need to check to determine whether we have it properly implemented (taming difficulty set to 0 only on release, not when it goes wild). What I can say is that we don't have proper mechanics regarding the friend mechanic which should check the taming ability of both the tamer and the target, which will invariably close the loophole by which players receive near unlimited stamina for an animal they cannot control.

Finally, a discussion regarding population and its effect on the game can be extended to nearly every corner of the game. Unfortunately, the point does us little good as it is not our goal to adjust the mechanics to fit the population.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Kaivan wrote:Unfortunately, we can't make a change to stables. The fact that players fill the stables up is an in-game matter regarding the way that players conduct themselves and needs to be sorted out in-game.

Regarding spawn blocking, we do know that spawn blocking existed, and that it existed not only for single spawns, but for all spawns. We also have evidence to suggest that this circumstance persisted even through a server restart, although not all information is consistent on that point. Despite all this, we currently cannot replicate the mechanics of spawn blocking without a complete overhaul to the way that spawns are handled, and that overhaul is not likely to take place any time soon.

As for people on Nightmares, we do know that it was accurate for non-tamers to own and ride them, although I need to check to determine whether we have it properly implemented (taming difficulty set to 0 only on release, not when it goes wild). What I can say is that we don't have proper mechanics regarding the friend mechanic which should check the taming ability of both the tamer and the target, which will invariably close the loophole by which players receive near unlimited stamina for an animal they cannot control.

Finally, a discussion regarding population and its effect on the game can be extended to nearly every corner of the game. Unfortunately, the point does us little good as it is not our goal to adjust the mechanics to fit the population.
Regarding spawn blocking, yeah, I can image how that would be quite an undertaking.

Regarding nightmares, my point wasn't so much that everyone shouldn't be able to ride them, it is that they are far too common (due to the above spawn blocking not existing). Nightmares were far more rare during the true T2A...then again, this could just be due to intangible things like less tamers, less knowledge about them, etc.

And finally the population. I wasn't really suggesting things should be changed based on that. Just pointing out to omni that theres a lot that is out of wack and theres really no way (within actual mechanics) to fix these issues.

In the end, the tamers are the real root of the reason. Had they not tamed hundreds of pets and sat around farming with 40 stool blocked dragons or bringing those dragons to orc events (shame on you) then stable griefing probably would have never come about.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

On second thought...maybe that is the reason there weren't huge dragon turrets in T2A....because stable slots were all filled and it was difficult to find more than a few spots.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

Ronk wrote:On second thought...maybe that is the reason there weren't huge dragon turrets in T2A....because stable slots were all filled and it was difficult to find more than a few spots.
Stables were definitely almost never filled with the exception of Britain which was filled sporadically.

I'm pretty sure dragons (and perhaps drakes, not so sure) blocked, but only as long as they remained in Destard, as all the dungeons were on a different subserver. To answer another above point, nightmares stables straight into t2a would block the spawn through server restarts. At one point, no or very few nightmares spawned for months.

I don't frequent Destard here, but I remember many a time going to look for a dragon to tame on OSI and finding none, because they were hunted so much and were on a slowish spawn timer. White wyrms seemed to be on an even slower spawn timer than dragons. Even when one was killed or tamed and remove from the ice dungeon, you would have to wait around for a new one to spawn.

A huge reason there weren't huge dragon turrets in era was because taming required a dedication to get to dragon level that was not present in your average k3wl13 l33tdud3. Most tamers, and there were very few, wouldn't even consider selling pets or giving them away to non-tamers.
Last edited by Rhis on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Rhis wrote: I don't frequent Destard here, but I remember many a time going to look for a dragon to tame on OSI and finding none, because they were hunted so much and were on a slowish spawn timer.
As I suspected. Regardless, its another case of whether you want true accurate mechanics (in which case stable blocking is accurate as is 40+ dragon turrets). Or whether you want to mimic the 'spirit of the era' and throw in stable limits to prevent 40+ dragon turrets and stable blocking. As made clear by the staff...option 1 is the path they are taking.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The more you post and whine about this, the funner it is for myself and people like me to keep 1000 cats in the stables. Good work.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

As far as I understand matters, the shard aims for mechanical accuracy even when those mechanics leads to different types of outcomes than you would have find back in the day.

fortin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fortin »

This is an in game issue. Someone is griefing tamers. I suspect they are doing it to intentionally get tamers nerfed through stable slot control and long term stable slot starvation. It's wise of the gms not to be influenced by such cheap tricks. In fact on Monday night during the Orc fort event there was some noob char waiting at serpents hold to block my stable slots as soon as I claimed to get some dragons. What a coincidence.

Who knows how long the griefing will last and the potential long term impact on your total number of pets. I advise all tamers to take precautions. I am sure the smart ones already have.

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

chumbucket wrote:As far as I understand matters, the shard aims for mechanical accuracy even when those mechanics leads to different types of outcomes than you would have find back in the day.
This is probably why the playerbase is so small. People* who want to play on a t2a shard don't give a damn whether the mechanics are technically accurate. They just want it to feel like the t2a they know and loved.

Newsflash: In a lot of ways, this being one of them, it doesn't.

*People this shard actually needs, not douchebags who care nothing about the t2a experience, like Matron, etc.
Last edited by Rhis on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I was a tamer during T2A.

While Nightmares were rare, I never had a problem getting one. I also never had a problem getting dragons. Cove dragon spawn (the one past the lich) would always spawn a dragon after one died / left the server line.

I had as many dragons as I wanted, I remember specifically having 3 Grey, and 3 red that I trained for a very long time. They had names, I wrote stories about them, i was 15 years old.

To the people blocking the stables, Shame on you for hurting the feel of T2A because some jerk face was using stools + dragons. That wasn't every tamer, and you are punishing everyone for it.
[broken image]

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

tekai wrote:Cove dragon spawn
This may have been shard specific, as I don't remember anything about it. Which shard did you play?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Great Lakes.

Cove dragons was my home, and the way it is on UOSA is correct. 1 dragon, 2 drakes and some "garbage"\

I'm 100% sure about it because i had to drag all the garbage and drakes to one end of the room, and take the dragon to the southern end of the room and use para fields to tame it.
The act of taming dragons in cove dragon spawn is what I remembered "most" about UO when I came to this server. Standing parallel to the para fields and spamming tame.
[broken image]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »