Making Fishermen

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
cmerolon

Making Fishermen

Post by cmerolon »

I have no idea what skills or stat to have so please help.. I know sometimes you pull up sea monsters. I want the less expenise route also... :mrgreen: :o :oops: :P
[/color]Crack kills Weed Doesn't

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Making Fishermen

Post by applejack »

There is no one single answer for this, however I had this conversation recently with a guild mate. In my opinion, the concept of a "fisherman" template is silly. I would make it a seventh skill of an otherwise still useful character. Templates I have fishing with:

magery/eval/med/wrestling/hiding/stealth/fishing - if not fishing is a nuisance as a stealth eval mage. good in groups.
fencing/archery/tactics/anatomy/healing/fishing/80 track/20 magery - fun dexxer character that i can pvm with, enough magery to recall some/most of the time
magery/eval/med/resist/alchemy/inscription/fishing - my favorite one. crafts a few items, fights water creatures easily

These may be considered odd, but I play all three of them so they work for me. Like I said, I think a character with fishing can easily be almost anything.

That said, when it comes to killing sea serps, deep sea serps, and water elementals, I think that magery/eval/med is much more effective against them as opposed to melee/tactics.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

My fishermen (2) -

Archery 100
Healing 100
Fishing 100
Hiding 100
Tactics 100
Anatomy 80 - There's not really much difference between 80 or 100 anat for bonuses, so if I need skill points I take them from here.
Resist 60 - Seems adequate for sea spawn, and it's all the points I could assign anyway.
Tracking 30 - Keep track of fleeing creatures if you're not the best sailor or meet obstacles.
Magery 30 - Recall off scrolls most of the time.

100str / 100dex / 25int

I like archery because when running two fishers at once it's nice to be able to just hit attack (or auto defend) with the bow then tab over and concentrate on the guy who is also steering. The main downside is fallen arrows blocking the boat. Works pretty well for PvM seafaring though :)

There's not much expense to fishing itself - newbie fishing pole and a boat. Training the other skills you select may vary quite a bit in cost though.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Meh, why mess with healing when magery works much better and is usable for around the same cost point sans training cost. Plus you can use it to gate mass quantities of MIB loot, ore, or whatever off your boat, and dispell EV's that PK's cast at you.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Fishing
Hiding
Cartography
Lock Picking
Magery
Meditation
Detecting Hidden @ 60 til you gm lockpicking then drop for
Stealth

this is my utility character i would have got wrestling instead of fishing but i already had it and i am not re gming it.
stuff you run into sea is a joke if you have hotkeys for forward right and forward left you can sail past just about any serpent if your good and paralyze makes it even more simple if you cant handle just sailing. you could also park some hired mages on the front of your boat or your tamers pets.
i use him for dungeon chest, digging tmap chest then soloing them on my bard or tamer, house stealth in's this is where i wish i had wrestle, fishing, also in the rare situation you die doing a tmap and hes stealth in the area you can quickly rez your self or provide heals if something bad were to happen he also travels light and can carry alot of loot.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Mine is:
Fishing
Magery
Med
Eval
Hiding
Resist
Item ID

I personally like having Item ID simply because I save 1 ID charge for every 2 by using it, and when dealing with that many items in SOSs, it's very worth it in a fisherman based template.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC