Siege Perilous Ruleset?

Topics related to Second Age
Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Siege Perilous Ruleset?

Post by Myrnae »

Chance wrote:Great post, Fireball. Siege was a different kind of animal and you really brought some great memories back. I'll always be on the lookout for a RunUO server that gives an honest attempt to replicate, or even pay homage to the ruleset. I don't have really high hopes at this point, but we can always dream and I think what the staff on UOSA has done here is proof that it is possible if folks are dedicated enough.
I have been working on a shard of my own and have implemented the SP ruleset but I am also a full time student. Guess which priority wins? The only thing I have not worked out code-wise is how to change RunUO's house placement to where you cannot place over objects. RunUO by default moves people and items under the house sign when a house is placed - and I need that turned off. I have successfully fixed it where if a person is standing in the way that it blocks placement, but if there are chests and in animates in the way, it moves everything under the house sign :(

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Thanks for the comments.

I actually have my own RunUO server which we used for testing house placement and the like when I was building our UOSA village. Unfortunately the rules are slightly different - more stringent here on UOSA - but it was still useful. I must confess that I have fiddled with it a bit but there is so much work necessary on the default RunUO to get rid of the trammel crap! If someone has done that I would love a copy.

I would love to host a SP type server based on the T2A Siege Perilous ruleset. but perhaps with some changes. For example I personally loved the Hero vs Evil faction type system before they got rid of that in favour of the 4 factions and sigils etc. There were so many bugs in that so I would rather not implement it, sticking with the more simple 2 sided Hero/Evil system. But I would like the new shaped houses which came in later IIRC.

By the way, there was a supposed 5 account limit on OSI servers, not 3 so that is not terribly accurate here on UOSA but is perhaps more of a resource issue than era accuracy. I notice that the backups take a heck of a long time which makes me wonder what hardware we are running on. The account limit was never enforced at OSI though and in fact in our Siege Perilous days I had 19 active accounts in order to hold a large chunk of our houses. Many players had 3 accounts which were actively played so there were 3 Mahja and 3 Fireballs for example, but only ONE Thrandarian! There were also wives and husbands of a few members.

There were some urban myths about Thrandarian. Some say he ran a speed hack for example. This was simply not true. He was simply the most incredible UO player we had ever know combined with a superbly organised team a headphone's length away from Mahja's voice of leadership over Roger Wilco and the UOAM server, both of which were hosted by me at my personal expense. Also most of the time we all only used GM crafted weapons although with all my dungeon chest runs we did have quite a few power and vanquishing weapons. Force and some power/vanq were sold in our vendors - we would likely get them back in battle anyway :) But the myth of us all running around with Vanq weapons is just rubbish. The only one thing was back on Atlantic where Mahja had his named mace. Must have been hard to leave that behind and move to SP! Not saying nobody used the odd great weapon in BiH, but it was not the norm.

I have been trying to get Thran to join us here, but he wants an SP ruleset where the recall spell at least does not exist. We left Atlantic because of it. Mahja is tied up running a 50 man Eve Online guild but he did express an interest in joining us here for a look-around, as have a couple of other guildies. No sign so far though :(

Of course we are all 15 years older and slower, but this does bring back some great memories and IMO is perhaps the best MMORPG ever created. I do still very much love DAoC, but really the lack of any real danger there makes it very clinical. You can't lose anything ever. It never raises my pulse. But UO always gets the adrenalin pumping like no other game.

FB
<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

I must confess that I have fiddled with it a bit but there is so much work necessary on the default RunUO to get rid of the trammel crap! If someone has done that I would love a copy.

I spent a few hundred hours coding, so not interested in sharing my whole project - but if I do get to the place in life (probably this summer after my Spring semester) would you be interested in helping me get this started? The worst part was changing all the text out or unicode back to the old font and color. I would insist that staff not play the shard, like they do here at T2A.

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Myrnae wrote: I spent a few hundred hours coding, so not interested in sharing my whole project - but if I do get to the place in life (probably this summer after my Spring semester) would you be interested in helping me get this started? The worst part was changing all the text out or unicode back to the old font and color. I would insist that staff not play the shard, like they do here at T2A.
I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself playing. Sorry :)

FB
<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Fireball wrote:
Myrnae wrote: I spent a few hundred hours coding, so not interested in sharing my whole project - but if I do get to the place in life (probably this summer after my Spring semester) would you be interested in helping me get this started? The worst part was changing all the text out or unicode back to the old font and color. I would insist that staff not play the shard, like they do here at T2A.
I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself playing. Sorry :)

FB

Understood. I'll keep you posted and if it comes to fruition, maybe you can help me with some testing! :)

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Myrnae wrote: Understood. I'll keep you posted and if it comes to fruition, maybe you can help me with some testing! :)
Sure. I'm also happy, for testing, to stick it on one of my servers for a while if you wish.

FB

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

If something like this was made, I would surely just play it instead of UOSA. I want something more challenging and where your name and play style matter.

Here I feel everyone has macros for purple potions, GM crafters in reserve and millions upon millions.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Soulbreak wrote:If something like this was made, I would surely just play it instead of UOSA. I want something more challenging and where your name and play style matter.

Here I feel everyone has macros for purple potions, GM crafters in reserve and millions upon millions.
yea that's what happens when you are allowed to make 15 characters the way you want them - SP you get one on the account so people have to work together to get by. None of this one man army like it is here. Also no (single item) bless deeds on my shard :)

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

You really have to be careful. You are nearly crossing the line with advertising. If you build it, they will come. If you add any custom bs, they will leave. Any numbers added to a custom shard are usually very temporary.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

GuardianKnight wrote:You really have to be careful. You are nearly crossing the line with advertising.
It has moved beyond that at this point. It's one thing to discuss the virtues of the Siege Perilous rule set as it relates to UOSA in an abstract framework, but it is entirely another to use our resources to promote a project in that direction and to extoll the benefits of that project's mechanics over that of UOSA. Further discussions such as these should be held off of UOSA resources.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

My apologies guys I was not thinking about what I was posting, I didn't mean to cross any lines, and certainly have not posted any IP addresses or anything so my apologies to the UOSA staff.