Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Restricting Ridable Llamas and Ostards to T2A.

Post by Faust »

Policy is not a mechanical accuracy process... just like afk macroing here.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Faust wrote:Policy is not a mechanical accuracy process... just like afk macroing here.
That wasn't my point.

They weren't allowed in the old lands.

Some GMs deleted them, some did not.

To use that latter argument as a reason to implement a bug to allow them across leaves out the fact that the bug wasn't usable by everyone. (Those who had their creatures deleted, for example.)

Faust

Post by Faust »

Again, this server only replicates mechanical accuracy, not policy. The staff here has the right to exercise whatever policy decision they decide upon just like the OSI staff.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Faust wrote:Again, this server only replicates mechanical accuracy, not policy. The staff here has the right to exercise whatever policy decision they decide upon just like the OSI staff.
First off, AFK macroing wasn't using a bug exploit, it was a violation of the ROC.

Bringing the lost lands creatures into the old lands was a bug exploit.

There is no way for you or I to know how strenuously the GMs enforced the removal of lost lands creatures from the old lands. (Claiming some GMs deleted the creatures and some did not tells us nothing about what policy was in place.)

Your suggestion, if I understand you correctly, is to allow the bug without allowing the very real possibility of the era-accurate deletion of the creature. To make that era accurate, you point out that policy decisions are not the same as game mechanics. Fair enough, but how do you know what the OSI policy was, for one thing, and what about corrupt GMs? Would that be a policy decision on this shard if some GMs got away with corruption? (Allowing duping if a bug was found, giving away special items, granting special powers, etc.)

Of course not.
Last edited by Joueur Moyen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

And Faust, you are also advocating that the bug be available in an era inaccurate fashion.

To exploit the "all follow me" bug, my character reproduces the same mechanics as were available during t2a. To exploit the "lost land pets in old lands" bug, any ole game mechanics will do, right?

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

So we need access to green acres and Nevemore.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

son wrote:So we need access to green acres and Nevemore.
lol

Faust

Post by Faust »

Joueur Moyen wrote:And Faust, you are also advocating that the bug be available in an era inaccurate fashion.

To exploit the "all follow me" bug, my character reproduces the same mechanics as were available during t2a. To exploit the "lost land pets in old lands" bug, any ole game mechanics will do, right?
What bug? Brining pets back from t2a or the all follow me bug?

I have not once 'advocated' that the current process to bring pets back from t2a is good. In fact, if you take a look back at a few posts of mine there is mention of me agreeing with the poster that the current process is inaccurate. I don't advocate ANY inaccuracy and anyone that is familiar with my rants here know this very well.

Now if you're talking about the 'all follow me' bug that is completely different... i definitely advocate this bug due to the fact it was quite common in game back in the day and it's a mechanical process that existed during the whole t2a era. This shard implements many of the well known t2a bugs that don't harm the actual server such as duping, etc... that could end up making server saves several minutes instead of seconds long down the road. Game breaking bugs in other words isn't acceptable. However, simply hopping of your horse to refresh it's stamina is definitely not game breaking when you compare them with other bugs such as the no damage resist exploit that exists here. Personally, being able to refresh a mount adds a great element to the game for pvp just like it did back in the day in my honest opinion. Best of all it's era accurate.

Btw, policy decisions of OSI is not being replicated here.. it doesn't matter what policy decision that OSI had. The staff here has the choice to make whatever policy they want out of any given situation. If the staff decides to not bother with the deletion of creatures it won't matter and the same vice versa if they are even more extreme. UO Second Age only replicated mechanical accuracies not policy decisions since you cannot replicate the mindset of each OSI staff member and their decisions here.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I think Joueur Moyen Pretty much beat faust in logic.

I'll say that we don't use logic here joueur. We kind of pick and choose what era accurate bugs to allow, otherwise we would have people busting into our houses and duping gold etc. No one would bother playing here if certain bugs were allowed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Faust, I meant the "lost lands pets in old lands" bug, concerning the game mechanics that allowed for the exploit.

The "all follow me" bug is faithfully reproduced concerning the mechanics, whereas the pets bug is not. Why create an inaccurate exploit mechanic to allow the pets into the old lands? Wouldn't it be better to leave it the way it is, or create an accurate mechanic to bring them in? (As far as era accuracy goes, that is.)
Last edited by Joueur Moyen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faust

Post by Faust »

What logic is that exactly?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

The Logic is that if you are using a exploit because it's era accurate, you should use all bugs era accurate.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Faust

Post by Faust »

Where was using every bug ever advocated by me in the contents of my responses? UO Second Age only excludes 'non-game breaking' bugs that can cause extraordinary damage to the server itself... For example, duping as mentioned in my previous post. Exploits such as house break in bugs, etc... are also excluded since that is considered to be game breaking. However, hopping off a horse or brining a t2a creature back from t2a isn't game breaking at all... especially when you compare these with the era accurate no magic damage resist exploit that exists here. I support this approach fully.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

GuardianKnight wrote:The Logic is that if you are using a exploit because it's era accurate, you should use all bugs era accurate.
Well, I would word it a bit differently. If the bug is allowed, then the mechanics to exploit the bug should be accurate.

But, wait, there's more!

It's better to use an accurate but out of era method to exploit the bug (like bringing the pets in through some entrances as is currently permitted) than it is to create an era-inaccurate AND UO inaccurate method to exploit the bug.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I don't really care what policy is in place here re: mounts. The mechanic of pets going through T2A entrance/exits is inaccurate.. all I was trying to say.

Coupled with being unable to stable Lost Lands pets in Britannia, you would see far less WW/Nightmares/LLamas/Ostards in old lands.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE