Urk/bloodrock orcs completely inaccurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do you think bloodrock orc stats should be adjusted to be more era accurate?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:03 am

Yes
45%
Don't care
24%
No
31%

Total votes: 49

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Urk/bloodrock orcs completely inaccurate

Post by dren »

Dear Staff, after one letter to you on PM I am still very concerned about how we have massive creation of inaccurate spawns way outside the boundaries of Urk fort. It's one thing to give urk fort some special spawns, and another to make spawns that have no semblance of era accuracy... and it's also another thing to put them in Cove and Skara. This is too far I think and we still don't have even a small # of the basic special spawns for T2A.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24110

How is that a bloodrock orc is stronger than any single person in the whole Urk guild? How is it that a bloodrock orc lord can fight and kill 3-4 daemons? What kind of supplies have the Urks collected and given to GMs/staffs to supply weapons/armor/etc. for a full on town invasion (you can't wage war without supplies)?

I understand staff's desire to create a rich roleplaying environment on UOSA for roleplayers but I don't see how this falls in line with things properly. In my humble opinion, if the bloodrock orcs are going to exist they need to have some semblance of era accuracy. Orcs that move faster than horses and deal 30+ damage in a hit is a big ridiculous. Not to mention that having a town invasion for days where guards periodically work and healers don't heal is a bit strange. 3 days of a town invasion is 36 UO days... so the orcs obviously defeated the humans in Skara or not... I don't see why this hasn't been determined after almost a month. They are not in tents preparing to lay siege to the town nor are they (currently) losing the battle so they obviously won or didn't. If they won then the NPCs should be dealt with in a similar way to how they were dealt with in Cove... So the same should happen in Skara until they are beaten back... this sort of "event" that lasts for days with no resolution is unprecedented on any OSI or free shard I've ever seen in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for staff running events, and even enriching the server with some inaccurate spawns. Howver, I'm really dissapointed in the way that this event was run and the way that the orc spawns are completely and totally ridiculously buffed. Increase in loot would be okay but this is not really a main concern for me at all.. they are orcs, and they don't have much lewt? ...but maybe they should have a bit more since they are bloodrock orcs... we always are "gibbn shinies" etc...

My suggestions:

1. Lower the orc speed movement so it is accurate with other orcs/creatures of similar type; orcs are already fast enough

2. Lower the orc speed damage so it is accurate with other orcs of siimlar type; a bit of a damage increase is reasonable for a special monster type

3. Lower the orc speed armor and HP so it is accurate with other orcs of similar types; a bit of an armor/HP increase is reasonable for a special monster type

4. Limit player town invasions to 2-6 hours (1-3 UO days) so that the actual event lasts the duration of how long a real invasion would last. I could almost see a week (a very long hard fought battle) or even 30 days (in the case of a siege with tents)... but a 36+ day invasion? How could they not have won/lost by now? This has no RP value at this point. FYI, I remember OSI invasions lasted 1-2 hours.

5. Have a rich RP for town invasions of bloodrock orcs; make the town invasions feasible and multi-step. How did they get past the guard tower on the way to Cove? How do the bloodrock orcs get past Yew guard towers? They just walked all the way through Yew/Britain and ended up in Skara without any resistance?

It would be nice to have something with town criers, like, Bloodrock orcs are attacking Yew guard towers! then it's rumored the bloodrock orcs are on the way to Skara Brae for an invasion! Giving people time to put back the invasion before it becomes full on town infestation with 10-30 orcs spawning on screen regardless of where you are in a town.
Last edited by dren on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Urk/bloodrock orcs completely inaccurate

Post by Mikel123 »

Town invasions and custom/unique NPCs are pretty era-accurate. In fact, some of these things differed from OSI shard to OSI shard.

I think a primary concern in the length of these invasions is allowing everyone on the shard the chance to participate. Unlike the regional OSI shards where most of the population was within the same timezone, we have 24 timezones represented here.

And LOL at OSI invasions lasting only 1-2 hours.

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

sheez, finally some event in the real game world and people are still complaining.

and this is how they got to skara... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32153

Lagrath

Post by Lagrath »

Event was/is awesome. It's nice to have orcs that can't just be kited infinitely by every single mounted person. But their speed DOES make it hard for people who died and want to get their loot off their bodies.

IMO tone down the movement speed and damage of the various Skara Brae orc types slightly.

Make a successful invasion (however that's determined) last 2 real days...I don't see a lot of good arguments for anything much shorter or for much longer.

If the GMs REALLY want to make the event better, make it so you can't get balron-gated by the moongates that suddenly swarm the screen. Normally I would say this is fair game, but if a moongate hits when there's a lot of orcs around or right when a spawn pops, it can make it impossible to avoid a death-gate by some griefer if the gate just popped and you're already in motion. If there were zero or minimal lag during the events I would be on the fence about it but say it's fair game during the event, but with the lag it really deters participation if you can avoid orcs/urks/PKs for an hour only to die to some moongate to a new rune spot that you can't do anything to avoid.

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

LifeForce wrote:sheez, finally some event in the real game world and people are still complaining.

and this is how they got to skara... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32153
Thanks! So scratch 4. & 5. on my suggestions. Nice job on the RP Urks!

That leaves 1-3.
dren wrote:
My suggestions:

1. Lower the orc speed movement so it is accurate with other orcs/creatures of similar type; orcs are already fast enough

2. Lower the orc speed damage so it is accurate with other orcs of siimlar type; a bit of a damage increase is reasonable for a special monster type

3. Lower the orc speed armor and HP so it is accurate with other orcs of similar types; a bit of an armor/HP increase is reasonable for a special monster type
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

dren wrote:What kind of supplies have the Urks collected and given to GMs/staffs to supply weapons/armor/etc. for a full on town invasion (you can't wage war without supplies)?
None. In T2A, guilds were never required to pay seers for events.
dren wrote:Orcs that move faster than horses and deal 30+ damage in a hit is a big ridiculous. Not to mention that having a town invasion for days where guards periodically work and healers don't heal is a bit strange. 3 days of a town invasion is 36 UO days... so the orcs obviously defeated the humans in Skara or not... I don't see why this hasn't been determined after almost a month. They are not in tents preparing to lay siege to the town nor are they (currently) losing the battle so they obviously won or didn't. If they won then the NPCs should be dealt with in a similar way to how they were dealt with in Cove... So the same should happen in Skara until they are beaten back... this sort of "event" that lasts for days with no resolution is unprecedented on any OSI or free shard I've ever seen in the past.
The invasion of cove certainly went on longer than expected. The problem is finding a time when the population is active, the orcs are active, and the staff is available. However, invasions on OSI shards sometimes lasted months or more. I am hoping the next stage is within a week or two.

There has certainly been some prep work. Battle plans, the orcish shrine, and the orcs have discussed battle plans and future plans on many occasions in the fort for anyone to ease drop. Dropping tents in advance isn't a bad idea. I also agree we could have slowly taken over guard posts to give warning of where an attack was coming. Though in the case of Skara, we sailed there. When an attack comes from sea, there are no siege tents.

Cove was meant to be a surprise and unannounced attack. It was a little out of the way city. There were no major shard announcements either because the idea was to see how quickly things happen via word of mouth and IRC. Skara, on the other hand, did have shard wise announcements. Though the NPC's should not have been respawning.

The orc spawn in skara was meant for force fighting on and around the docks. This is why there was no spawn on the south side of island and around the docks. In any event that I assist with, you can expect I won't want much spawn except to 'discourage' people from being in certain areas. The last big fort fight had way too much spawn which hampered both human and orcs alike. (Not to mention, in skara, the spawn was attacking us too for the first half).

Overall, I am indifferent about the orc spawn and I think you bring up valid points. The only spawn I ever asked for was a warg spawn for the fort.
dren wrote: 5. Have a rich RP for town invasions of bloodrock orcs; make the town invasions feasible and multi-step. How did they get past the guard tower on the way to Cove? How do the bloodrock orcs get past Yew guard towers? They just walked all the way through Yew/Britain and ended up in Skara without any resistance?
I touched on this above. A rich RP is certainly optimal but if 90% of it gets lost, its not worth the effort. I will try to work on this in the future, however.
dren wrote: It would be nice to have something with town criers, like, Bloodrock orcs are attacking Yew guard towers! then it's rumored the bloodrock orcs are on the way to Skara Brae for an invasion! Giving people time to put back the invasion before it becomes full on town infestation with 10-30 orcs spawning on screen regardless of where you are in a town.
I suppose it would also give people time to move their shit out of skara. I can say though...the destination of our next target is available via ingame clues. In addition, we've talked about it on several occasions.

Edit: BTW, While the spawn's strength is something I have no control over, I appreciate the event feedback. I find it helpful.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Ronk wrote: None. In T2A, guilds were never required to pay seers for events.
In t2a guilds never invaded towns.
Ronk wrote: However, invasions on OSI shards sometimes lasted months or more.
Never happened on any OSI shard I played in T2A. You talking UO:R?
Ronk wrote: I can say though...the destination of our next target is available via ingame clues. In addition, we've talked about it on several occasions.
Sounds good Ronk, I think 1 single player guild with about 10-20 active players (usually only 4-5 on at a time) should invade all the towns on the server with 1000s of completely inaccurate creatures and without putting forth any resources for their RP war on the towns of Britannia. Urk creatures should occupy two and soon to be three towns while Urks themselves and their spawn cant even defend their fort from 1 or 2 people. Makes perfect sense!

My suggestions stand the same:

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

4. Limit player town invasions to 2-6 hours (1-3 UO days) so that the actual event lasts the duration of how long a real invasion would last. I could almost see a week (a very long hard fought battle) or even 30 days (in the case of a siege with tents)... but a 36+ day invasion? How could they not have won/lost by now? This has no RP value at this point. FYI, I remember OSI invasions lasted 1-2 hours.

uh trinsic invasion was 1-2 hours ? lol i think not or any other invasion such as brit at least on chessy it was much much longer then you suggest.
on the other side of the coin limiting 1-2 towns forces players to be more tightly packed into well THE OH SO MANY OTHER towns with a bank minus this one omg, and helps the population gather more near to one another and causes more interaction.
voted no
ps i have kited these "super orcs" npcs on foot quite the distance quite easily two of them infact and i got hit once moving them from a rather large distance to a location :P
Last edited by iamreallysquall on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

dren wrote: Sounds good Ronk, I think 1 single player guild with about 10-20 active players (usually only 4-5 on at a time) should invade all the towns on the server with 1000s of completely inaccurate creatures and without putting forth any resources for their RP war on the towns of Britannia. Urk creatures should occupy two and soon to be three towns while Urks themselves and their spawn cant even defend their fort from 1 or 2 people. Makes perfect sense!
Alternatively, we can be paid by the shard for providing hours of entertainment and something beyond the same old dungeon grind. Or...we could just continue to do it for free.

If you'd prefer the seers use NPC's only and not actual role play guilds in their events...maybe you should make that the next poll. I, personally, prefer real opponents be involved.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Ronk wrote: If you'd prefer the seers use NPC's only and not actual role play guilds in their events...maybe you should make that the next poll. I, personally, prefer real opponents be involved.
There are no seers or counselors here...

I don't see how bloodrock orcs npcs count as non-npcs.

Paid by the server? wow.

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

wow staff puts on a event and ppl are complaining!

as said before, you must not remember the trinny wars. That was way worse then this!

Dont like it? Fight back and stop the orcs. Or just use a different town. No need to cry, it is a very simple concept

I for one dont see the need for the orcs to need resources. Its not like they are getting a town add on. Technically they are not receiving anything at all. So why make the urks come up with resources for a story line that is shard wide, and available for everyone?
Last edited by BenBrawl on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

dren wrote:
Ronk wrote: If you'd prefer the seers use NPC's only and not actual role play guilds in their events...maybe you should make that the next poll. I, personally, prefer real opponents be involved.

Paid by the server? wow.
while yoda is a "gm" he akin to a seer in my eyes with his level of involvement being this sort of thing or at least so i been led to believe.....do you even play this shard?
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

iamreallysquall wrote:
dren wrote:

Paid by the server? wow.
while yoda is a "gm" he akin to a seer in my eyes with his level of involvement being this sort of thing or at least so i been led to believe.....do you even play this shard?

The other day i walked into a WW trap that was set up in a keeps court yard (dumba$$ i know, i know), but anyway i paged a GM cus i had no way out, and one came and told me they didnt have GM powers, just counselor powers. so i beleive we have counselors!
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

TheBreadMan

Post by TheBreadMan »

I agree with 1,2,3! and but instead of being so strong and fast just have more of them. Like when the cove fort exploded with orcs.

but I'm not complaining the event and just advise what we would like for next. As people put lot of time and effort coming up with event for us to have fun. thanks.

I'm sure they take our advise and ideas on for next invasion.

Nothing will be perfect first time so we have to live with it and its still fun if you just want to go bash stuff.. skara will return to normal one day!!

I think we can all agree even though some of us don't like the orc strength and speed we enjoyed the invasion and had a lot of fun. :)

I vote weaker orcs!

I vote more orc invasions!

Oh, and I think there still should be a few strong ones just not every single one of them.

Edit: Oh, all other stuff I can't agree with. :i I welcome month long invasions! and if we could influence them in some way would be in heaven! :P
Last edited by TheBreadMan on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDaz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by TheDaz »

Suggesting that the ORC NPCs are overpowered is fruitful, but generally complaining about the event overall, and in such a nitpicky way, is selfish and shortsighted. Don't participate if you don't like it. Skara and Cove are not towns that one needs to visit every day to enjoy UO

It's a lot of fun having the bloodrock clan in t2a. Their presence adds greatly to the shard. I, and probably everyone else but you, would prefer to fight them in town invasions then solely NPCs.