Tailoring a profitable skill?

Moderator: Support Moderators

randale

Tailoring a profitable skill?

Post by randale »

I'm macroing a tailor right now. The thing that earns me the most are exceptional fancy shirts, but still not a lot, it seems the leather stuff earns you a lot more, but it doesn't look like anything but leather shoes and boots have no chance of NOT making an exceptional when you are GM.

BlackLeaf

Re: Tailoring a profitable skill?

Post by BlackLeaf »

most peolpe suggests bard to do the first gold.i dont like bard.
if you want to get rich beyond your dreams,and with very little risk,roll a lockpicker.only costs 5000 to gm.picking town chest alone you can get a solid 4000k/hour,with 0 risk.picking lvl 4 dungeons chests you will earn lots and lots of gold and magic items and gems.finally,if you add fishing and cartography to your template,you will soon swim in millions.this will involve fighting some high level monsters,however.(nothing gm magery cant handle).
i say,start with 50 lockpicking,and in town you will earn a lot.
"The single most important PVP spell,however,is Recall."
-T2A official strategy guide

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

0-95 lockpick is a joke to work not worth a starting skill http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/91213 sub wrestling for fishing if you must start 50 mage 50 med (if you cant handle macroing med properly Aka med gms before magery) or 50 mage 50 cart you need 60 detect hiding in the template to lockpick level 5 tmaps before you gm lockpicking from doing level 4 dungeon chest. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32164
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

randale

Post by randale »

BlackLeaf wrote:most peolpe suggests bard to do the first gold.i dont like bard.
if you want to get rich beyond your dreams,and with very little risk,roll a lockpicker.only costs 5000 to gm.picking town chest alone you can get a solid 4000k/hour,with 0 risk.picking lvl 4 dungeons chests you will earn lots and lots of gold and magic items and gems.finally,if you add fishing and cartography to your template,you will soon swim in millions.this will involve fighting some high level monsters,however.(nothing gm magery cant handle).
i say,start with 50 lockpicking,and in town you will earn a lot.
Lockipick what chests in town? In the banks? Just not too familiar with lockpicking

Anyway, getting back to tailoring, do you think it's worth it? It may be slow gold but at least it's safe, selling your shirts earns you more than enough to buy a few bolts of cloth and repeat the process.

BlackLeaf

Post by BlackLeaf »

every shop has a strong box.inside you can find 100-150 gp + misc items.depending on the shops those items may be useless (es dye tube from tailor shops) or valuable (diamonds in jewlery).selling those you can make another 100-400 gp it depends.
as for tailor:i dont think it is worth the time.the only way to do some real money with it should be crafting gm armors and selling it to fellows players.anyways i dont think there is a great market for leather armors.you will make more money going hunting in a graveyard i think.
if you really want to craft dont buy cloths.you should look for sheeps (lots of them in farms in yew and jhaelom),harvest wool,and make cloth from wool (with a loom in the tailor shop).i find this,however,a really slow and inefficent way to start out.
i suggest lockpicking because you can never leave town and still make a decent gold.
"The single most important PVP spell,however,is Recall."
-T2A official strategy guide

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I absolutely, 100% support tailoring as a money making skill.

Once you get enough skill to make leather goods, make leather gorgets and arms, and it's money. Much more than LPing can bring in in an hour, if you do it right.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

randale

Post by randale »

Pirul wrote:I absolutely, 100% support tailoring as a money making skill.

Once you get enough skill to make leather goods, make leather gorgets and arms, and it's money. Much more than LPing can bring in in an hour, if you do it right.
I'm guessing you mean sell to multiple tanners, before they start paying less for them, which I'd need recall probably. But, hell yeah, the leather stuff really does make some good gold. Gotta have a way to actually kill those animals to skin them. Unlike sheep you can just shear for nothing but 2 sec of your time. I use an alt for killing animals and give the leather to my tailor.

Rick Scarf

Post by Rick Scarf »

I got a really nice keep within a couple of months tailoring. Keep it up with the fancy shirts, those are the best and easiest profit-for-material margin. Look into macros for using multiple locked down bags (a small house is necessary for this) for keeping the shirts in, and you can make hundreds of them easily. While you're making those shirts, have a 2nd char logged in camping the cotton fields you prefer, or get enough magery to recall and use a runebook to go between cotton fields. Either works just as well, after you factor in the costs of regs - if you're camping a good field or a couple nearby fields, you beat the recalling folks almost all the time. Even better use two characters to camp multiple fields.

Use a character with magery and a tailor shop runebook, with a Razor macro to sell shirts 5 at a time, to sell them until you get to the price you don't like, then recall to the next shop. I think I sold like 5-6 times to each vendor so I was sold out after two fresh NPCs paying full price to start. Bank the gold, go back home to get another bag of shirts, rinse and repeat. If you're picking your own cotton to begin with it is pure profit.

randale

Post by randale »

Use a character with magery and a tailor shop runebook, with a Razor macro to sell shirts 5 at a time, to sell them until you get to the price you don't like, then recall to the next shop. I think I sold like 5-6 times to each vendor so I was sold out after two fresh NPCs paying full price to start. Bank the gold, go back home to get another bag of shirts, rinse and repeat. If you're picking your own cotton to begin with it is pure profit.
5 or 6 meaning 25 or 30 shirts? 5 shirts times 5 sales with a razor macro= 25 shirts? I've never actually picked cotton, never seen the plants, they seem not that easy to find, though I never actually went out looking, I saw the pics of the plants on stratics, but how do they work? Do they disappeared after they've been picked clean, or do you have to wait for the cotton to respawn from them, like waiting for metal to respawn?

Nergnog

Post by Nergnog »

The plants spawn a lot of places. They work like metal or live sheep- you pick/shear/mine and wait about 20min to an hour and the stuff respawns. I think (do not quote me) that Moonglow has some good cotton fields, as does Yew.

Rick Scarf

Post by Rick Scarf »

Yes you sell like 30-35 or so shirts at a time or until you get whatever your desired bare minimum price. Just double-click cotton in the field to pick it, use a wheel to turn it into spools, then a loom to turn the spools into bolts of cloth which you can use scissors on to cut into cloth. Wool also works but with cotton you get 20% more yield (5 spools vs 4 I think) so I'd definitely go with cotton picking instead of wool shearing, unless you want to set up an evil sheep farm or something.

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

I also support tailoring as a great start off money maker. Go to your local runelibrary and find the wool/cotton book. Make a copy of it if you have enough magery. Spend some time recalling from spot to spot and it'll add up fast. I earned enough for a small house in just a couple days... Also LJ/Bowcraft can be equally great for starter funding. Keep in mind, you'll need to recall to a new shop when the prices drop for maximum earning. The lockpicking is an interesting idea I haven't though of though... Sheep farming can be great if griefers don't find it. And believe me they will.

randale

Post by randale »

OneEyedJack wrote:I also support tailoring as a great start off money maker. Go to your local runelibrary and find the wool/cotton book. Make a copy of it if you have enough magery. Spend some time recalling from spot to spot and it'll add up fast. I earned enough for a small house in just a couple days... Also LJ/Bowcraft can be equally great for starter funding. Keep in mind, you'll need to recall to a new shop when the prices drop for maximum earning. The lockpicking is an interesting idea I haven't though of though... Sheep farming can be great if griefers don't find it. And believe me they will.
Hmm, I suppose starting out, I'd still go with provocation. I made almost enough to buy a small house last night by just killing stuff in wrong with it and using EV. Well, that and the fact that I found a bag that one of the mobs must have looted off a PC, it had about 100 different gemstones in it and a few plates.

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

randale wrote:
OneEyedJack wrote:I also support tailoring as a great start off money maker. Go to your local runelibrary and find the wool/cotton book. Make a copy of it if you have enough magery. Spend some time recalling from spot to spot and it'll add up fast. I earned enough for a small house in just a couple days... Also LJ/Bowcraft can be equally great for starter funding. Keep in mind, you'll need to recall to a new shop when the prices drop for maximum earning. The lockpicking is an interesting idea I haven't though of though... Sheep farming can be great if griefers don't find it. And believe me they will.
Hmm, I suppose starting out, I'd still go with provocation. I made almost enough to buy a small house last night by just killing stuff in wrong with it and using EV. Well, that and the fact that I found a bag that one of the mobs must have looted off a PC, it had about 100 different gemstones in it and a few plates.
Don't get me wrong. In the long run, Provo is boss. However, to earn the regs to get magery up to cast EV or even get the money for scrolls, Tailoring is a safe easy way to get gold. As is fletching. It is recomended that you macro your bard (Or whatever money maker you choose) On one account and then do the safe money making (Tailor/Fletching) on your second account. If you're just playing one account at a time, you're wasting a ton of time =)

randale

Post by randale »

OneEyedJack wrote:
randale wrote:
Don't get me wrong. In the long run, Provo is boss. However, to earn the regs to get magery up to cast EV or even get the money for scrolls, Tailoring is a safe easy way to get gold. As is fletching. It is recomended that you macro your bard (Or whatever money maker you choose) On one account and then do the safe money making (Tailor/Fletching) on your second account. If you're just playing one account at a time, you're wasting a ton of time =)
Though I have to use multiple bank accounts as I ran out of room with one of mine (and I don't have a house, I'm saving up for a tower) to hold all those shirts.