Why is AFK Reagent Buying NOT Illegal?

Topics related to Second Age
Lucy the Lich

Why is AFK Reagent Buying NOT Illegal?

Post by Lucy the Lich »

I'm not going to put anyone on blast except this guy. Not trying to cause a huge stink, but I think that reagents are a major recource in this game, and that it is BS that people are allowed to set up a macro to buy up all of the Reg's, I understand the argument is these individuals are using up recources (IE Gold) to purchase the reagents with, but none the less... when I go mining, I am using up pickaxes and shovels, these are crafted using ingots. So in theory, mining also uses up recources, but it is illegal to AFK mine. I do not think afk recource gaining SHOULD be legal, but there is no reason for a double standard. This needs to be a bannable offense, make it fair for everyone to buy regs.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Lucy the Lich on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: AFK Macroing; Recource Gaining... Illegal Right?

Post by Ragancy »

That's f'd up IMO

Casey
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Casey »

I agree with this completely. Why should someone be banned/jailed for fishing up a few mibs, when someone else is gathering thousand of regs afk to be sold on their vendor? Gathering regs afk is also much safer because the player is surrounded by npcs, and even if that player is killed, they lose nothing, because they are using razor to transfer regents into their bank box.

There are always players doing this in Vesper and Delucia, because they can buy regs with their bank box open.

Also, fishing/lumberjacking really doesn't effect players who are actually PLAYING. The person who is hoarding regs while working the night shift at Stop & Shop IS affecting my opportunity to buy regs.

Definitely a double standard.

-Windspirit

Lucy the Lich

Post by Lucy the Lich »

Not only is it an annoyance to have the ingame market ran by botters but its also a pain in the a$$ when you need to buy reagents you can't becuase this guy is soaking all of them up

SolsbaryStouvre

Post by SolsbaryStouvre »

While I have no problem with the AFK resource gathering rules, because frankly its very hard and risky to afk gather any resources save for MAYBE fishing and wool, this is 100% free AFK money that has no risk at all. Not even town killers at that spot.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

yeah this is disgusting and should be subjected to the same sort of punishment as afk gathering wool and fishing items. ^ very serious
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Lucy the Lich

Re: Why is AFK Reagent Buying NOT Illegal?

Post by Lucy the Lich »

^

Dartacalus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Dartacalus »

I completely agree, this is AFK resource gathering and should be illegal.
Dartacalus

Layt

Post by Layt »

/signed

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

I will pass your comments along to Derrick and ask for clarrification regarding this situation. I am the one who responded to jimhunter2011 in-game and informed him that it is not one of the situations we get involved in. Just to be sure; though, I will double-check.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

As of now, our rules on AFK resource gathering do not include purchasing reagents. This is because of the fact that resources must be expended in order to acquire the reagents, while other means of resource gathering largely require nothing to be expended at all, and come with a substantial gain attached to them.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

Kaivan wrote: This is because of the fact that resources must be expended in order to acquire the reagents
How is 'expending' gold to AFK buy regs to sell on a vendor any different than 'expending' a pickaxe to AFK mine ingots to sell on a vendor? There is no justification for AFK reg buying macros. Combined with razor macros, it's a risk-free way to AFK farm money, and should be bannable.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

AFK gold sinking is not in violation of any rules.

The amount of gold that it would take daily to "unstock" all the reagent vendors in Britannia is not in any way sustainable. Players spending gold at vendors (i.e., deleting gold) is good for the economy of the server. Reagents cannot be sold back to vendors for a profit, so this is not gold farming.

The comparison to mining is a stretch at best. The number of shovels being consumed by mining is a pittance, and can be manufactured from the ore being dug at a substantial shovel profit.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of shard economics, but the bottom line is there's no reason to prohibit buying things from vendors that I can see.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Lucy the Lich

Post by Lucy the Lich »

Does this mean that it is perfectly legal to AFK buy ingots too? I understand the idea of a gold 'sink' but what I do not understand is how the inconvience to other players & the fact that it is AFK recource gaining is justifiable.

Personally, I think that the people who have responded to this thread so far are in agreement that it is wrong to be allowed to AFK Recource gain, which in turn means that this needs to become an illegal act just the same as other recources.

elhorno
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by elhorno »

jimhunter2011 wrote:Does this mean that it is perfectly legal to AFK buy ingots too?
I think that is exactly what they are saying. Should you wise to purchase iron ingots at 9gp per, by all means buy them.