Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Token System, Weapon Special Abilities, and Newbie Ticke

Post by Zelek Uther »

Specifically, UOSA emulates a single day: 23 November 1999 (the date of Publish 1).
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

I appreciate the people on this thread who have heard what I have been saying. To comment on the Clean up Britainnia I was unaware that they had had one as I have only started to play this shard a few weeks ago. I do believe that doing the Clean Up again would be welcomed by all. I have been reading many of the threads and it seems that Item Bless Deeds and Neon Hair Dye seem to be talked about alot. As for the length of the Clean Up it really would be up to the Admin and the Players. It could work as a permanent addition to the shard. If it was implemented on a permanent basis it would resolve the runebook complaints as I believe that would be the number 1 thing that would be blessed. It would also help reduce items taking up space that could be used for other things. (ex. for the stables.) Even though constantly having the stables full was pretty era accurate. As for the rest I have pretty well voiced my opinion on them. I hope that they will spur more conversation on them and maybe in time people will want to implement them.

Benzene

Post by Benzene »

Nothing to do with the OP's original question... But. What does everyone think about bringing back factions? It was fun to be in a faction & chaos/order guild. All while making the factions special weapons, armor & the faction rankings. Just a thought.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Benzene wrote:Nothing to do with the OP's original question... But. What does everyone think about bringing back factions? It was fun to be in a faction & chaos/order guild. All while making the factions special weapons, armor & the faction rankings. Just a thought.

this
Zelek Uther wrote:Specifically, UOSA emulates a single day: 23 November 1999 (the date of Publish 1).
you are thinking of renascence will never happen here
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Benzene

Post by Benzene »

iamreallysquall wrote:
Benzene wrote:Nothing to do with the OP's original question... But. What does everyone think about bringing back factions? It was fun to be in a faction & chaos/order guild. All while making the factions special weapons, armor & the faction rankings. Just a thought.

this
Zelek Uther wrote:Specifically, UOSA emulates a single day: 23 November 1999 (the date of Publish 1).

Fair enough, didn't hurt to ask/try 8) .

Benzene

Post by Benzene »

iamreallysquall wrote:

this
So if we're emulating a specific date in uo, then how do you explain the option of creating an elvish character or whatever?

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Just because you see the option doesnt mean its going to work.....

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Benzene wrote:
iamreallysquall wrote:

this
So if we're emulating a specific date in uo, then how do you explain the option of creating an elvish character or whatever?
like someone else said the option is disabled , also our client version is newer then our target date which i dont really like personaly but it enables staff to do certain things etc and it's mostly the same after you turn on "use pre aos status window" , disable the menu bar and new targeting system. One thing thats not accurate is ctrl + shift but it's client side and to many people would whine if some how it was disabled
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

So we have established that the clean up britannia happened before that target date. I know that it was only for a few weeks and that people have said that UOSA has already had one but I believe it should be brought back on a more permanent basis. Maybe not all the time but a once month or every 3 months would be perfectly acceptable. If the idea behind the shard is to repeat the year Second Age was around then everything that happened in that year should be repeated every year up to that cut off date. As for young player tickets they were around since the beginning and were the main way players were able to get ranger armor set. I still think they should be brought back.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

Post by Kaivan »

I've let this thread go for a while so that players could discuss this issue for a while before I weighed in.

Of the three suggestions that you've given, it's unlikely that any of them will be added in. I'll elaborate on why.

First and foremost are special weapon hits. These weapon hits were added in with the UOR patch and lie outside of the cutoff date that UOSA has established, which was already mentioned to be November 23, 1999. Thus, we cannot add them on UOSA.

Secondly, for the Clean up Brittania event, we had the event here as a one time special event, although it was technically a mechanic. We will not be having another event for a number of reasons, including the fact that it was only done once on OSI servers, and that the system is not and will not be viewed as a reoccurring way to acquire these items.

Finally, your suggestion about new player tickets came about with the introduction of the young player status as part of the 8/26/99 patch. While this particular patch is within our target date, and I have suggested the introduction of the young system on UOSA, the fact is that the ticket system represents a clear incentive to exploit the open account creation process of UOSA. This is not a healthy result, and is one of the necessary alterations to free shard play (assuming that the young system is actually implemented).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Kaivan wrote:
Secondly, for the Clean up Brittania event, we had the event here as a one time special event, although it was technically a mechanic. We will not be having another event for a number of reasons, including the fact that it was only done once on OSI servers, and that the system is not and will not be viewed as a reoccurring way to acquire these items.

I dont believe it is good to use the fact that it only happened once in our era to determine whether we do it again or not.

For the following reasons:

1. This era was only 2 years long roughly? - This shard has been up for 4 years so I think there should be one every 2-3 years. This makes sense because we are stuck in an era that is not progressing so things must be repeated.

2. If you go by the logic that there was only 1 so we are only doing 1 then if it was possible to see how many GM run events took place in those two years would you only do that many GM run events and then stop forever? No, you wouldnt because that would last about 3 years and then nothing for future newer players.

I think a compromise should be used here and 1 CUB every 2-3 years would be great for new players and in my eyes era accurate.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

I feel like CUB just drives people to horde pixels until the event.

Better solution would be to just make it so that throwing away items gives you some extremely small fraction of silver...like every 1000 items is 1 silver, then use that silver to get rewards from the silver system.

This way the shard would be in a constant state of cleanup, so less items to scan on server saves.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Robbbb wrote:
Kaivan wrote:I dont believe it is good to use the fact that it only happened once in our era to determine whether we do it again or not.

For the following reasons:

1. This era was only 2 years long roughly? - This shard has been up for 4 years so I think there should be one every 2-3 years. This makes sense because we are stuck in an era that is not progressing so things must be repeated.
Again, the fact that it was already run once is an ancillary point. By definition, the CuB was a mechanic. Also, the entire point of CuB on OSI servers was to allow players to throw away the junk that was going to disappear in 3 months anyway. Here, we would just be running it to run it, which is entirely outside the original point of the CuB in the first place. Thus, CuB can't be argued from an event perspective either, because the event was run with a very specific intent (unlike, say, holiday events or seer events).
Robbbb wrote:2. If you go by the logic that there was only 1 so we are only doing 1 then if it was possible to see how many GM run events took place in those two years would you only do that many GM run events and then stop forever? No, you wouldnt because that would last about 3 years and then nothing for future newer players.
The number of GM events varied from server to server. This doesn't help the argument at all.
Robbbb wrote:I think a compromise should be used here and 1 CUB every 2-3 years would be great for new players and in my eyes era accurate.
It's been stated before that we will not have another CuB, and that is not going to change.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

elhorno
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by elhorno »

Thank god the admins are firm on this. Haven't you seen the posts by Telamon (nothing personal here Telamon), saving every item hes every come across, just in case there is another CUB? And a lot of people do this, and would do this, were there to be another CUB event. All that would happen is people would turn their crafters on to craft trash items 24/7 so they too can reap in the insta-wealth. The veteran hoarders of the shard would cash in their stash and walk with ridiculous amounts of items. Lets not widen the gap between the rich and the poor.
We are the 99 percent.
Who are we? Well, who are you? there’s a 99 percent chance that you’re one of us.

You’re someone who doesn’t know whether there’s going to be enough money to buy reagents. You’re someone who gets deadly poisoned and toughs it out because you’ll never afford the garlic and ginseng necessary to cure it. You’re someone who’s trying to move out of the swamps/dagger island. You do all the things you’re supposed to do. You mine your own ingots and chop your own boards. You farm for gold frequently. You macro your skills while you sleep to become grandmaster. But it’s not enough. It’s never enough. The player killers, the stables being full, the AFK reagent buying, the mount stamina bug, the forever ignored tamer issues, the powerlessness is still there, hovering like a storm crow. Every month you make it is a victory, but a Pyrrhic one — once you’re over the hump, all you can do is think about the next one and how much harder it’s all going to be.

They say it’s because your a noob. They say it’s because you can't PVP. They say it’s because you are doing the wrong things. If you’d only apply yourself a little more, worked a little harder, planned a little better, things would go well for you. Why do you need more help? Haven’t they helped you enough, brokered enough trades, hosted enough events, donated enough to the RP guilds??
They say you have no one to blame but yourself. They say it’s all your fault.

They are the 1 percent. They are the neon haired, blessed sandal wearing, +25 vanq hally toting, rare peddling 1%.

We are the 99 percent. We are everyone else. And we will no longer be silent.

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

El Horno.....LAME. As for the rest. If the admin is going to be firm on this one you need to create another way to get items like Neon dyes, Bless Deeds, Furni dye Tubs, and Monster statues other than the silver system. To be honest the silver system isn't accurate nor is it very practical. The only time I remember silver was for the chaos order battles being given out for killing players with more kills then you. Which as far as I know does not have anything to do with the silver system. The current event driven system is both lame and time consuming. At the current rates I have read of 20-25 new silver a day it would take a person a lifetime of work to acquire enough silver to buy anything of value. I have been doing the scavenger hunt to try to become a part of the silver system and to be honest the work is not even close to the reward. So for the people here who dont want to spend all their time working and would rather play the game and enjoy it something new needs to be done. The Clean up Brit is a solution that is era accurate and wouldnt require alot of hours to implement again. If this isn't something that the admin is willing to bend on then I throw the ball back into your court. Make another way.